PDA

View Full Version : 600 or 1000

Iceman
21-08-08, 04:49 PM
Took my CBR600F4 for a spin Today and it just did'nt feel as fast as it was when I first bought it! Now I'm not getting complacent,far from it but I'm guessing that maybe what I want is more 'Torque' that only a litre bike can give. I'm sure there's lots of riders on here that have moved up to 1000s' from the 600s'. Any thoughts on the subject for a useful topic for us all to natter on for a while? ;)

Dabz
21-08-08, 05:33 PM
I've owned 2 600s and a 1200..the 1200 being a bandit so oodles of torque. The 1200 suited my riding style best - lots of low and midrange grunt and lets you be a bit more lazy and accellerate in any gear (top would do anything from walking pace to very fast). I got rid because the bike was too heavy for me.

The 600s need a lot more revving to get a sence of speed which is beginning to suit me now but took a while...

The other thing I guess is to look at triples, twins etc because from what I understand a standard flat 4 isn't the best engine for torque? The daytona 675 triple sounds like the ideal bike for me...just need to win some money hehe

Davey
21-08-08, 05:58 PM
Get 1000cc Vtwin that'll give you plenty of torque :) or get a go on Stu's KTM that bike is nuts for torque but cr*p top end

Why not take yours on track and you'll appreciate it more understanding the handling etc and give you a more thorough understanding of the bike. Personally I prefer the gixer600 on track than the 1000 but that could just be my style of riding

ONFIRE
21-08-08, 08:19 PM
Took my CBR600F4 for a spin Today and it just did'nt feel as fast as it was when I first bought it! Now I'm not getting complacent,far from it but I'm guessing that maybe what I want is more 'Torque' that only a litre bike can give. I'm sure there's lots of riders on here that have moved up to 1000s' from the 600s'. Any thoughts on the subject for a useful topic for us all to natter on for a while? ;)

Twist that throttle to the stop (rev limiter) in every gear...That will give you plenty to Torque about :o ;D ;D ;D ;) You be surprised how much power that 600 really has. ::)

You'll notice a significant difference between the two, which will be self explained once you jump on a Thou....
Pop across to GW's take a few litre bikes out! Make your own mind up. 8-)

Iceman
22-08-08, 08:23 AM
Ok,thanks everyone.Some valid points there. I took my bike out last night and red lined it in the first few gears and to be honest found myself hugging the tank to hold on,so it does go well when I take the revs above 10k. I think it was the lower revs around 4k which I tend to use a lot in town that I felt wanting more!lol. As for handling,I'll admit I'm nowhere near reaching the potential of the bike,not by a long way!That's lots of practice. I'd like to pop over to George Whites and try a litre bike out but as I've only held my Licence a few months don't think they'de entertain me!

ONFIRE
22-08-08, 05:48 PM
Ok,thanks everyone.Some valid points there. I took my bike out last night and red lined it in the first few gears and to be honest found myself hugging the tank to hold on,so it does go well when I take the revs above 10k. I think it was the lower revs around 4k which I tend to use a lot in town that I felt wanting more!lol. As for handling,I'll admit I'm nowhere near reaching the potential of the bike,not by a long way!That's lots of practice. I'd like to pop over to George Whites and try a litre bike out but as I've only held my Licence a few months don't think they'de entertain me!

Yep reving the :P out of a bike takes a little practice :o

As long as your license is clean, should be fine! Try out the new CBR1000F (single side swing arm jobbie) if its grunt you want..you will be popping all over the place O don't call it a Hornet as ths bike has been completely re-worked with the new blade de-tuned engine & great suspension it's an absolute hoot SO i am told +they have a Demo. New only 7k & 7.5k with ABS.

Good luck & it's a Road is not a Race track :'( ;D ;D PMSFL Take it easy out there!

BTW a thous.... will not make you a better rider :D 8-)

KP
22-08-08, 05:57 PM
interesting topic.. i have been thinking about getting the zx10 r, but just not sure it we bill any more useful to me to be honest, the zx6r i have now is pretty quick, and if you stick it into a bend the handling is superb, so any 10r riders on here some points of view would be appreciated...... kev

ONFIRE
22-08-08, 06:09 PM
interesting topic.. i have been thinking about getting the zx10 r, but just not sure it we bill any more useful to me to be honest, the zx6r i have now is pretty quick, and if you stick it into a bend the handling is superb, so any 10r riders on here some points of view would be appreciated...... kev

For the short time I had my 08 ZX10 R it was freaken quick! But too be honest I am doing the same speeds with my 750 & it corners better. THe thous... just get there quicker in a straight line...think mentioned it before handles like a pogo stick! But still great Bike. Completely different to 04 - 07 model .

600's just need to rev a little harder, & are great bike's. Horses for courses so to speak 8-)

Take one out make up your own mind. :-/

Iceman
22-08-08, 06:45 PM
I saw a test report on the ZX10R along with other 1000s' filmed last year on the Isle of Man and all the testers got off shaking there heads in amazement after riding the Kawasaki. A true Track racer although they said the suspension needs to be softer for road use.Other than that they could not fault it apart from some commenting on its' very agressive powerband delivery.I believe it's 175Bhp. Too much for me!lol :D

igbell
22-08-08, 07:25 PM
To put me tenth penaths worth in, have you thought about a bike inbetween.
Like a 750 or such?
Say a Suzi GSX750?
I have had a CBR600 and then I moved to a Divy 900 and I loved that bike to bits, and I have ridden bigger bikes like the Yammy 1300 XJR and CBR1300, yet I love the middle bikes. I now have a VFR800.

Just a thought.

Iceman
22-08-08, 09:30 PM
Igbell, I nearly had a GSXR750 not long ago but it had some HPI police mark against it so gave it a miss. My son in law has bought a Fireblade 900 so may have a go on that. Choices choices!
:D

suziblack
22-08-08, 10:35 PM
I have been riding bikes on and off for many years now and up until the start of this year had only ever ridden up to 600's. I could never really see the point of a bigger bike. Boy have I seen the light.

I started to get a bit fed up with winding up my last 600 when out with my husband who rides an FJR1300. It wasnt that the 600 was slow at all - it was simply that he could open the throttle and go whilst I had to knock it down a few gears and get the revs up, by which time he'd gone. I also found it a pain having to brake hard where he could use engine braking.

Anyway I bought a Bandit 1200 and absolutely love it. The torque is fantastic. You can open the throttle in any gear and it goes. Overtakes are a true joy. I have now got used to the torque but when I first had it I had to really hang on when I opened it up.

I have truly never found it too heavy. OK it weighs more than a 600 but it truly doesnt notice once on the road. I have no problem chucking it around or popping it on the centre stand etc.

I should add I am a 5ft nothing girlie and regularly ride it 2 up with my daughter on the back and fully loaded with luggage. In fact we have literally just come back from a weeks touring in France and I wouldnt have liked to have done it on a 600.

Ultimately it depends on your riding style - personally I'd hate to go back to a 600.

ONFIRE
29-08-08, 10:32 PM
What does this tell you? IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzq2vlBcxrI
8-)