PDA

View Full Version : Harley Sportster 883 versa Yamaha Dragstar XVS650

bubblylittleme
26-08-08, 03:22 PM
HELP!

I can't decide! Can any of you give me pros and cons for each please

Snowy
26-08-08, 05:02 PM
IMHO - if your into the cruisers it has to be the Harley. The only other one I would consider would be a Triumph but I will wait for the new Thunderbird to come out lol. I would imagine any Japanese cruiser will do a great job in every department but the image is missing and that's a large part of the deal. The Harley will also maintain much of it's value for when it comes to upgrade.

igbell
26-08-08, 05:25 PM
Each to there own but for me it would be the Jap, as you get a better fuel ecomony and also you wont be at the side of the road most of the time waiting on a pickup truck to fix you or take you home.

Dabz
27-08-08, 08:01 AM
I know very little about either, but for me it'd be the Harley because of the name alone :P

Kevinb
27-08-08, 01:31 PM
For me it would NOT be the Harley because of the name alone.
I think all four main Jap manufacturers make proper customs these days. Some may call them Harley clones, but they will have better brakes, smoother engines and be more reliable.
For me a Harley is a 'must not have' bike because of the image.
Cheers
Kev

ONFIRE
27-08-08, 02:33 PM
Can't comment don't know what a Harley is :-/

FJ_Biker
27-08-08, 04:03 PM
Try and get a test ride on both, it seems with Harleys you either love them or loathe them.

spook
27-08-08, 07:26 PM
American motorsickles are fantastic, but they keep falling over when you take the plough off. ;D I would go with the Dragstar

amills
27-08-08, 08:01 PM
I've got a Jap cruiser (Honda VTX1300) and have no complaints. MPH @ about 45, top speed 115, 0 - 60 in very few seconds, top speed in second 80mph (rev limiter avoids any red line damage). Loads of torque for two up and lugguge riding.

Build quality excellent (made in America) and reliability is supposed to be good (only had 1 year but no problems).

End of day, beauties in the eye of the beholder. Best bet is to try a few out and research the respective bikes blog sites.

amills
27-08-08, 10:42 PM
A quote from Sonny Barger (the founder of the 'Hells Angels') autobiography:-

"I would probably ride a BMW or a Honda ST 1100. The Harleys are getting better every year, but they're still junk. I mean I bought my wife a brand new 2000 Dyna Glide Sport and it goes into a speed wobble at 85 and I've done everything that I can do to get it out. I'm a good mechanic, I've followed their directions, we took it their shop, they've done work and it still wobbles on her. The factory tells us to change the shocks. Now why should we buy a brand new motorcycle?"

Barger continues to relate how Harley Davidson explained that his wife's bike had been set up for someone his size, not her small frame. Then he laughs as he relates how the bike still gets a speed wobble even when he rides it, only a higher speed."

Nuf said !

bubblylittleme
05-09-08, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your comments.
Going to look at a yamaha dragstat 1100 on sunday!

Hunar
06-09-08, 01:58 PM
Buy a Triumph Rocket III, problem solved!

FJ_Biker
07-09-08, 01:51 PM
Please let us know how the test ride went. Are you going to test ride a Harley as well?

bubblylittleme
09-09-08, 04:28 PM
Have ridden both.
Bought myself the Yamaha Dragstar 1100.
See you Thursday on it!