PDA

View Full Version : Ice Slide'

Rich86
11-01-09, 03:21 PM
:'( came off at slow speed last week in Stanton St Bernard visiting my old dear. The roads are little used, and i came off at v slow speed due to slush in the road. I landed on my feet, unfortunately the couldn't hold the bike from spilling over' Only slight 1cm square scuff to fairing, but more concerningly i have scuffed the oil chamber ( i think, right hand side) and i seem to be getting a bit of oil coming thru steadily, as i noticed my right boot had oil all over it :( I think i may need to have it looked at, its scuffed the black paint slightly off, so thinking it may have possibly sheered my oil tank and possibly caused a little leak.

BB
11-01-09, 03:34 PM
Bummer! Sorry to hear that Rich. :( Better get it checked out.
I know even a slow off can cause an amazing amount of damage - we did a three bike pile up at about 20mph on ice just after Christmas! :-[

BB

FJ_Biker
11-01-09, 04:59 PM
Sorry to here this the main thing is you are ok

igbell
12-01-09, 10:53 AM
Glad that you are alright, as the bike can always be fixed....

Rich86
13-01-09, 05:26 PM
well the main damage is the oil chamber has a hairline crack, i've sealed it up, and im hoping its not going to develop. a pain, but these things do happen, we live and learn, i put a high temp, low temp resistant sealant over it, and have noticed to defuse has minimised to next to nothing'

BB
13-01-09, 05:47 PM
well the main damage is the oil chamber has a hairline crack, i've sealed it up, and im hoping its not going to develop. a pain, but these things do happen, we live and learn, i put a high temp, low temp resistant sealant over it, and have noticed to defuse has minimised to next to nothing'

Yeh, right :-? Lets hope it doesn't develop! ;D

BB

Rich86
14-01-09, 08:48 AM
lol tell me about it, anyone know where you can get repairs of that nature taken care of, might need something wielded into the crease where its cracked'

FJ_Biker
14-01-09, 11:15 AM
There is a chap who has just moved to Devizes who has a bike business out by Lidls who can do this sort of welding

I cannot remember the company name, but can probably get his phone number if you wish

Scotty
14-01-09, 08:59 PM
Rich, the bit poking through the fairing on the right hand side (I presume that's the side you dropped the bike on) will be your ignition cover. You can effect a reasonable temporary repair if you remove the cover (take that side panel of the fairing off first), clean any oil residue off with petrol or brake cleaner and patch it up with liquid metal - comes in a tube with a hardener, a bit like araldite does and it does a pretty good job. A more permanent repair would be to find someone who can make a tidy job of welding Aluminium and get them to patch it up, then rub down and spray it black again. The FZR400 was never officially imported here so your chances of getting a 2nd hand cover are slim at best, but worth a try, have a look on owners forums or those of racing clubs like Derby Phoenix or North Glos, or try the breakers ads in Mostly Contrived Nonsense (MCN if you prefer the acronym) An internet search or the owners clubs might yield a source of new spares, but don't hold your breath (my first race bike was an FZR400 and it took ages to get a throttle cable for it)

Rich86
16-01-09, 09:00 AM
thanks for the advice scotty, i had to have my throttle cable fabricated as there next to impossible to get hold off, ironically i had a similar problem, mine was fraying inside its sleeve, i've done something similar to what you've suggested, i've put unibond high temp/low temp repair into the gap, seems to be stopping the worst of it, but i plan to get some1 to weld seal it when i can afford it :)

Thanks again

Davey
16-01-09, 01:50 PM
Did you contact Elliots in Cricklade ref your bits? As I'm sure they would have been able to get them.

With the 400's ebay can be your best friend so I have found in the past as I have had numerous 400's for track none of which were official imports and thats where I sourced a lot of bit or places like Motoforum - where you will have a good chance in the wanted section