PDA

View Full Version : ICE Phone numbers

igbell
29-01-09, 03:47 PM
Message from the Ambulance Service

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations.

As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the umber you have stored as 'ICE'.

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3, etc.

PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AS THIS CAN HELP IN AN EMERGENCY

igbell
29-01-09, 03:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

Trevena
29-01-09, 04:27 PM
Good post. I've had ICE on my phone for a couple of years but never considered ICE 1, ICE 2 etc.

BB
29-01-09, 09:07 PM
Already do! ;)

BB

Ryan
29-01-09, 10:21 PM
yeah nice idea but i got my mum is my phone as mum, so i gusse people would go to ring her first, might put her number as ice tho aswell just to be sure ;)

crewy
30-01-09, 06:26 AM
Sounds like the usb things you can get to go round your neck

igbell
30-01-09, 09:49 AM
Thats right the ones that Suzi (phoooar) Perry advertises.....

jacob030802
30-01-09, 01:18 PM
I think this is a great idea! i will pass it on to all i know..

Trevena
30-01-09, 01:42 PM
yeah nice idea but i got my mum is my phone as mum, so i gusse people would go to ring her first, might put her number as ice tho aswell just to be sure ;)
The thing is Ryan not everyone would want their mum to be contacted first if the emergency was dire. Just a thought.

Sounds like the usb things you can get to go round your neck

We talked about this on another forum and some people who worked for a hospital etc said that the hospital had taken steps to disallow devices from being used to on their networks for fear of virus infections.

Bob

Kevinb
30-01-09, 01:59 PM
Just added my wife & daughter.
I've never heard of this before, but a very good idea and saves time if something happens

Cat_Macd
30-01-09, 05:02 PM
have just added a ICE contact to my phone and i'm gonna mention it to everyone i know. what a good idea!

crewy
31-01-09, 08:11 PM
I think, as it's a gadget i may invest in the USB ones's

igbell
03-02-09, 09:42 AM
I spoke to my wife (shes in the fire brigade if you didnt know) and they wont put the USB device into any of there PC's as they run via Citrix and if the device is riddled with Viruses this will take the whole network down. Just thought I would put my two penths worth in.

ONFIRE
03-02-09, 10:54 AM
Difficult call... save someones life or bring down a entire network putting further lives at risk :-/

I am off to the Vets to get a Micro - chip :P ;D ;D ;D 8-)

crewy
06-02-09, 03:34 AM
Ha Ha, micro chip, much better option!! :)

alanTDM
06-02-09, 06:17 AM
There are two elements to UTAG:

- The ability to identify an accident victim and obtain his emergency contact details.

- Pass on any medical information that may be helpful in an emergency situation.

The first part invariably falls to the police and we are in constant contact with them (particularly through the Bikesafe scheme which they promote) and this has worked well. Just about every policeman you talk to will have an experience of trying to identify an accident victim and how difficult this can sometimes be so they can immediately see the benefit. Most of the traffic police have laptops in their car (to check your tax, insurance etc.) so they have the means to check your UTAG. If they do not have a laptop in the car, they will take it to the police station.

The UTAG project has only just got underway so these are early days but we have already had some success selling UTAG to the police and it is already in use with some police services. In time, we are hopeful that all police officers will carry a UTAG in either a dogtag or ICE card format.

With regard the passing on of medical information, the Department of Health IT security policy clearly stipulates that they anticipate the use of usb devices and insist that virus protection is kept at a very high level. Clearly therefore there is no problem within the NHS regarding the use of UTAG and, as a read only device, there is no danger. There are other companies that have used usb devices to present patient medical information before so, although UTAG is the first that specifically aims at the “emergency sector”, the use of external usb devices to convey medical information to the NHS is not new and the proper procedures within the NHS are in place.

What we do have to do is make sure that as many people within the NHS are aware of UTAG and the benefit it can be. If there was to be a problem it would be through ignorance of what UTAG is rather than from a specific policy. We have an on going program of contacting A&E hospitals with literature regarding UTAG. We have also advertised UTAG for several months in “Emergency Nurse” magazine which is read by the majority of A&E nurses and we have had a good response from this advert with most asking for further information and posters. We have not had one negative comment or any feedback indicating that UTAG would not be used.

The NHS is a huge organisation and getting the UTAG message out is a task. However, we can approach the NHS now from the point of view that UTAG is being a great success with thousands already being sold and that interest is high.

Best Regards

Dereck

Dereck Pickering

Business Operations Director

BB
06-02-09, 08:40 PM
Interesting stuff!

BB

Trevena
06-02-09, 08:52 PM
I also wear an SOS Talisman pendant which contains my medical history, current medications and contact number.

http://www.medical-bracelets.co.uk/Cards/ST21_2008_Front_Side.jpg

There's also Bikertagz http://www.bikertagz.com/

ONFIRE
06-02-09, 09:57 PM
There may well be an alternative and possibly quicker answer to this overall over complicated debate.

I assume this device is mainly targeted at people with a known medical problem or problems?

Well if it is I have a Unique Hospital number which the NHS can input into their DB and all my known medical history address next of kin e.t.c. will be revealed. Would this not be a simple solution in carrying your Hospital number on a pendant of some sort officially recognized by the NHS.

N.B. Don't forget to carry your Donor Card [smiley=thumbsup.gif]