PDA

View Full Version : Best Roads

Honda_Star
13-01-09, 11:57 AM
Ok....
so what is your most fave bit of tarmac
1. In wiltshire
2. Elsewhere?

Need to plan some nice rides for when the weather gets a tad better...!

:)

Nelly
13-01-09, 12:24 PM
Not sure about Wiltshire. But...
there is a great road from Chale to Alum bay in the isle of wight if you ever get over there. About 6-8 miles of some straight, some curvy, sea view roads.....marvelous! :)

FJ_Biker
13-01-09, 01:54 PM
It’s not the world’s most exciting road but I like the A420 from Chippenham to Bristol.

Some of the mountain roads on the continent just for the lovely road surface and beautiful views

igbell
13-01-09, 02:14 PM
I love the A4 between Marlbrough and Newbury, fast sweeping roads.

Others than that the road up from Lyon to Chaminox in France, if you dont like heights or twistys stay away.

Honda_Star
13-01-09, 02:15 PM
Yep thats a road (A4) I have ridden frequently, nice and wide. :)

igbell
13-01-09, 02:19 PM
Yep see whats coming and if you can over take without the fear of something coming the other way to kill you.

BB
13-01-09, 05:51 PM
A4 as mentioned is good.
NI Antrim coast road past the Giants Causeway - Magic.

Actually it really depends on what you are riding - the A4 is pretty good on the Duke but pretty boring on my 1949 AJS....

BB

Snowy
13-01-09, 06:41 PM
There's some nice roads over my way near Everleigh, Upavon and around Devizes. But best I have ever done was over the Pyranee's going to Barcelona - 200yds straight, hairpin, 200yds straight, hairpin etc etc all the way down on the best roads with countdown markers to the bends at 50m and 25m. Must go back there one day!

hotdog
13-01-09, 11:36 PM
I like the A359 from Bruton to Holwell. Nice smooth tarmac and a great mixture of tight technical S bends and long fast flowing ones. The stretch from Grove Cross to Bruton is also pretty good for the same reasons.

Most fun road I've ridden by a mile is the B258 in Germany and in particular the mountain section from Blankenheim all the way through to the Nurburgring... 25 miles or so of pure pleasure (if you get it right).

Regards,

R1chie
13-01-09, 11:48 PM
I only really know the roads from the M4 down to Salisbury but there are plenty of good ones to choose from

As previously mentioned, the A4 is good (although overly Policed), the roads that cross Salisbury Plain are good as wel.

Best road though? All in Wales (A470 and A40 in particular)

FJ_Biker
14-01-09, 07:21 AM
Almost forgot the road home from work is pretty good too ;)

Rich86
14-01-09, 08:47 AM
lol thats the only 1 i seem to travel regularly, from trowbridge into devizes through hilperton, seend and up the dual carriageway into Devizes.

Scotty
14-01-09, 08:40 PM
A couple of good ones are the A343 from Newbury to Andover, then head West and pick up the A338 up through Hungerford to Wantage (OK, precious little of them is in Wilts). I used to live near Leicester and tbh the roads up there and around Rutland & S Lincs are blinding compared with stuff in the South; great surfaces, much less traffic, NO speed cameras (yay! ;D) and soooo fast :) The most memorable road I've ridden I guess has to be this one (please indulge me, it's copied from a post I put on another forum nearly two years ago):

I spent a wee bit of time in New Zealand recently and was fortunate enough to borrow a bike (just a Yam FZ6, but all it cost me was petrol) and was taken down the most amazing road on North Island. We were in the Bay of Plenty area and the ride out took us along the coast from Whakatane to Opotiki, and then we headed inland towards Gisborne on Route 2; fairly flat and straight for the first 5 km or so, and then we hit the Gorge.... think of all the best roads you know; Cat & Fiddle, Cross Gates to Newtown, Ardèche valley, TT course over the Mountain... this road combines the best of all of them and more... amazing scenery (though no time to look at it) as we followed the river valley up into the hills, and literally more bends than you could shake a stick at, never a straight of more than a couple of hundred metres, mostly excellent surfaces (had to watch out for the occasional bits of rock fall, plus suicidal Possums) We stopped at Matawai (where the white road joins Route 2 just above the streaming counter on the image) and waited for the Ducatis to catch up (one's rear brake pad retaining pin had fallen out and his pads dropped and locked the wheel at the filling station in Opotiki... ::) ) We'd climbed from an elevation of around 30 feet to 2000 feet, and when we turned and headed back the way we'd come, the sign said "Opotiki 75km"... If asked, I may have guessed at 40km... We scooted back down in the gathering dusk (and suddenly appearing clouds of insects) and got back to Opotiki in the dark. One of the most amazing things about riding that road was that we did 150km on it and didn't see more than a dozen other vehicles, honestly... Time to start saving for another trip I think :)

crewy
18-01-09, 08:31 PM
I quite like the ride from old sodbury to chippenham, some nice fast corners and straights just have to slow down few a little bit to go through the villages. and of course you go past the sally!!! ;) :)

bladep102
21-01-09, 06:34 PM
most of the roads in and around cheddar loads of bends and no squaring off of your tyres and wales is pretty good tend to avoid wiltshire because of the bacon!

r1rebel
04-02-09, 01:38 PM
the mountain road on the tt course, great views fast bends and you can see whats coming. this has to be the best by far and best of all no speed limit on it. :D

schwee
04-02-09, 05:32 PM
The Hungerford to Wantage road is BRILLIANT.

I normally do a loop from Swindon-Highworth-Faringdon- and I forget the rest but it takes you along the Hungerford-Wantage road, then back along the A4 to Avebury-Wooton Basset and home :)

ONFIRE
04-02-09, 06:48 PM
Opposite direction Swindon, Marlborough, Hungerford - Wantage, Farringdon, Burford, Bibury, Kemble, Brinkworth onto Swindon 8-)

Bibury I own you :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Did I say that before ... ::)

Kevinb
05-02-09, 08:48 AM
I think at the moment any that aren't covered in snow ;D

crewy
06-02-09, 03:30 AM
Any roads over 40 mph speed linit, few bends, no speed camera's of and bacon butty van at the end is the kinda roads i like ;D :)

KwakGeorge
14-02-09, 08:08 AM
I've not ridden any roads in Wilts on my bike as yet only been there in the car so can't really choose one. However I must say we are quite fortunate up on the Wirral because North Wales is so close and so we do a lot of our ride outs over there. There is such a variety of roads, with coastal, moorland and mountain routes to choose from, with many of those famous Welsh twisties. That said, my all time favourite road is the B5105 Ruthin to Cerrigydrudion.... 14 miles of sheer pleasure, a real bikers road that I first rode back in the 60's. Anyway I thought you might all like a trip along it, so here is a little taster :) hope you enjoy esecially if you havent been out on your bike recently ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKijuZxpRnk

Trist
14-02-09, 11:05 AM
As said, the Hungerford to Wantage stretch is always a really good blast as there's high visibility and nice fast sweepers all along it. If you carry it on to Hungerford then Burbage, that's a good run aswell.

I like the road between Avebury and Wroughton too as it's usually quite fast ::)

schwee
15-02-09, 12:35 PM
Yeah but the copper chopper is sometimes about on that stretch!