PDA

View Full Version : Rumour

WiltsBiB
22-02-09, 03:23 PM
After pondering whether to post anything on this topic, here goes.

I'm an non-biker, and an ex BiB. I'm neither pro biking or otherwise, but still appreciate the sport. I should at least make you all aware of the new "initiative" being set up this summer.

I'm neither here to condone or criticise - please either take this or leave it - I'm merely passing on what I have heard.

It may give you the head's up to know that a group set up by residents in the county have raised money to buy a collection of SD cameras that they are placing in various parts of wilts (and berks I believe) on roads such as the A361 and A4, leaving them running during the day.

They are after sportsbikers, and have apparently told WP that they will be reporting speeding bikes and those with illegal plates. I have been told that they will also report parked bikes with obvious 'discrepancies' such as plates and cans.

I understand that this has stemmed from some issues last summer, and I know WP are under increasing pressure to apply more time to the RPU. You may have noticed more activity last year. A chap called Christopher O'Donovan who was arrested last year was apparently reported by a resident dialing 999. This is a growing group, that is for sure, also know of at least one major player giving their support, this isn't some old ladies in the village!!

That's what I know, don't shoot the messenger. I know this is in its infancy and may not kick off until later in the year, or it may die a death - but Be vigilant if that helps. I only found this forum via Google, so don't know where else to post I'm afraid.

Cheers

Paul.

Trist
22-02-09, 03:57 PM
If this is true then that's a shame, though I can see why as both those roads are popular with bikers. Is there alot of proof or is this MCN level-like story that nothing comes of it?

FJ_Biker
22-02-09, 04:06 PM
I have heard about this and came to this conclusion,

The cameras are not calibrated so will not stand up in a court of law. The police have got better thing to do with their time than process here say information passed to them by the public.

Paul as you are an ex BiB do you agree with my thoughts?

IMHO. If people are breaking the law they deserve to get nicked and Christopher O'Donovan got what he deserved

crewy
23-02-09, 11:53 AM
So what happens if a biker goes past and because the he dose not know there is a camera there he ends up coming of his bike when the flash goes off? Who is at fault then and causing the problems?

jj
23-02-09, 04:46 PM
this has been going on in east sussex for a few years and they have managed to get results,the cameras are caliibrated and the operators are trained so care needs to be taken

Nelly
23-02-09, 05:54 PM
...that's nice then...not :(

jj
23-02-09, 06:13 PM
friend of mine was done just outside tonbridge believe now for first offence u just recieve a caution but then the police keep eye out for u on route the local saw u on. good job there is no real crime about

hotdog
23-02-09, 07:21 PM
So much stress and nonsense lol.

The scheme is called community speed watch and it's the ONLY scheme Wiltshire will consider for residents to take action against speeding motorists. I can't imagine Wiltshire Police would be the slightest bit interested in the musings of some vigilante granny who's set out to victimise one area of the community. Guess who'll be breaking the law? :D

Wiltshire has been talking about trialling CSW since early 2008 and even then we're about 2 years behind many other counties. Under CSW people form groups that are issues with calibrated speed guns and educated in how to use them. They then note any offenders registration numbers. 'Offenders' are then sent a letter by the police asking them to be more aware of the speed limits. Only when two such letters have been sent, will the police then put you on a 'watch' list.

Now before anyone gets all upset about this, remember the scheme has been in operation in our neighbouring counties for nearly 2 years... Have you ever seen one? I know I haven't. I suspect it's the sort of thing local busy bodies get all hot and bothered about until they actually have to do something. Are you going out to catch speeders today Stan or would you like a nice warm mug of horlicks? Bet I know which one they choose after a couple of weeks lol.

Google Community Speed Watch Wiltshire or click here (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=Community+Speed+Watch+Wiltshire&bt nG=Search&meta=).

Regards,

bladep102
23-02-09, 07:39 PM
thanks for the heads up but just keep an eye out and have really small plate and dont panic most coppers still have better things to do despite what mcn might report

jj
23-02-09, 07:51 PM
as said there are several villages in east sussex where these people are out most days and if people with this mentality think they can spoil someones day they will, look what happened to avebury bike meet.think the main reason its done is not for road safety but because they want to improve there village. the local papers in that area have also reported several speed gun operators being attacked..

hotdog
24-02-09, 11:13 AM
As someone who lives in a small village with a 30mph speed limit that is ignored by just about everyone, and seriously ignored by a minority, I'm completely torn on this. Like everyone else I don't want my fun on a bike spoiled but at the same time I also don't want irresponsible morons speeding through my village.

Avebury was shut down not because of speeding but because of loud pipes. The loudest of all being Harleys with straight through pipes.

On topic though, I don't have any problem with anyone who wants to improve where they live (and I can't believe anyone would have). There will be problems though if local residents are victimising one group of society. There are laws against discrimination and I'm certain any group proved to be doing it would be in more trouble than the speeders they clocked.

Regards,

benobiker
24-02-09, 12:28 PM
yeah I am with you in being split on this one Burger, mind you I also live in a village (ish) with a main road through it and to be fair, much as I adore speed and am very much anti speed camera etc. There is no need to race through a village where there are children and dogs etc. about. There are plenty of quiet rural spots to have fun.

On a more fun note, a mate back home one night put on a hazmat jacket and a cap and put an inside out tesco back around the top of the hat to make it look like a cops hat, took his wife's hairdryer and stood on the edge of his village road which is fast and jumped out at a speeding white van which screeched to a halt. He thought he was going to get beaten up for the prank so opened the passenger door to apologise and the driver just sat there rooted to the steeringwheel with shock. For about two mins or so before they realised, Turned out he was on 9 points and needed his van for work.... After much joshing etc that was that. Some poeple would think that was a silly thing to do but made me laugh.... ;D ;D ;D

WiltsBiB
24-02-09, 10:41 PM
Hello everyone, some of you have already heard about this yourselves, so it's perhaps old news. One thing though, this isn't CSW. They're linked in the sense that I know residents have been pushing for it for a while, and as someone says, Wilts have, in some resident's eyes, been slow on the uptake. So I understand its a way of applying pressure. It's a case of, help them out or they will give you a headache with the paperwork!! Remember, if someone wants to report someone for breaking the law 'we' have to jump through the hoops to a certain extent! Especially if there's a degree of evidence involved. On the point of the BiB having better things to do, you're absolutely right - but my opinion is that you're risking your license and more if you hope wiltshire police will turn a blind eye on this one now. One thing I will say, for many years a senior officer within WP was a big sportsbike advocate. He left last year and his replacement is not so keen. These 2 reasons are why I'd bet money on the Avebury pub being given plenty of attention last summer. I know WCC have been pestered somewhat aswell to review the NSL in certain areas. You're right about the SD cameras - they are certainly no tool to worry the courts themselves, I'd be surprised if they always picked up index's either, but they are capable of it, and thats what the residents take to the local cop shop. I guess that is the problem.

Anyway, that's enough from me, keep it safe!

Cheers

crewy
25-02-09, 02:09 PM
Seems away the police can make more money by taking advantage of people who want to help out!!