jack930
28-02-09, 10:59 PM
Ok after the other night im thinking of getting a lazer/gatso dectector

does any one use one,and is it any good
or
would anyone be able to recomend a good one THAT WORKS ! lol

mikesouthby
28-02-09, 11:51 PM
I have used them extensivly in the car mate and have to say I doubt it would have helped the other night to be honest, great for fixed location cameras but hit and miss for real time detection, certainly its often the case that IF it warns you it's too late.

I know bike ones are available but I'd have to hazard a guess and say they'd be even more unreliable... though I don't have one so could of course be wrong..!

benobiker
01-03-09, 12:01 AM
I am not sure about lazer detectors but put the following into Google.

Target LT (Laser Track) 400

Now of course I am in no way recommending one of these ;) ;) but I know they do work, you just have to be creative in justifying having one on your vehicle. Not sure how much bike ones cost. Others I am sure can advise on the legality of these things but i understand it is a case of justifying what it is for.

In terms of working they are better than a detector but thats only step 1. I know some poeple think it is very naughty to use them and havent got one myself but cant fault inginooooooity for working out that would do the trick...

Good luck with your efforts.

I am sure i was told if you are caught with detectors in France the police can confiscate your car / bike and if you want it back you have to bid for it at an auction!!!! Not sure if that is true mind.

mikesouthby
01-03-09, 12:06 AM
Yes, laws in France are somewhat different to over here in relation to many of the pieces of equipment available to try and beat the speed traps! I put it down to them eating frogs legs, it must do strange things to their chemistry ;)

benobiker
01-03-09, 12:17 AM
snigger

jj
01-03-09, 08:54 AM
have a road angel in my car and a novus fitted to the bike but they are gps units which are great for roadside vans and fixed cameras but only detect lazers once u or a vechile around u has been hit so not that great.what u would need for unmarked cars and hand held devices is a jammer fitted front and rear these are illegal in u uk. as for france they are very anti camera detectors and can and will confiscate your car/bike...

SupeRDel
01-03-09, 09:02 AM
A month back a relative of mine got caught by that camera at the top of snow hill on the road from Lyneham to Calne.

He has one of those satelite systems that tells you when cameras are "live" or not.
That particular day it gave NO warning.

Don't think I would rely on any bit of electronics to try and keep my licence clean.

Iceman
03-03-09, 08:11 PM
..no comment! ::)

Scotty
03-03-09, 10:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you guys got tugged by an unmarked car didn't you? The best defence against them is to use your eyes and common sense. A neighbour of mine was a traffic cop (he's a biker too) and said that they concentrated on major routes, towns and particularly by-passes. Outside town and posted limits, as long as you're not a danger to anyone else, it's pretty much carte blanche, but stay away from where they patrol most of the time.
No gadget in the world will protect you from a car following you, just your eyes and savvy, boys.

jack930
03-03-09, 11:03 PM
easy said than done when its a black car in a layby with no lights, so you dont see it untill its to late >:(

Think ill TRY to stik to the speed limit on that strech of road !! ::)

crewy
04-03-09, 12:51 AM
There is a black Volvo C70 and silver Skoda octavia VRS thats drives around the bristol area catching speeding motorists, incase anyone is out and about

schwee
04-03-09, 07:02 PM
You will get arrested if you fit any type of jamming device. If I was conducting a speed check and couldn't lock onto a vehicle I would definitely pull it and check for these devices.

I don;t know what speed you were caught doing but I agree with Scotty