PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies... your views?

westcountryninja
11-03-09, 01:03 PM
Big, cleaver or just plain silly... i am a fan, i enjoy getting the wheel up, but often get the odd biker shaking there head... what do you think? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

schwee
11-03-09, 01:15 PM
Depends where they are done I guess. National limits with no-one else around [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Posted speed limits with lots of traffic >:(

Kevinb
11-03-09, 01:31 PM
I did it once on an airfield by mistake on full throttle.
Yes you can get a 1700 v-twin with a 300lb biker riding it on to one wheel.

igbell
11-03-09, 01:40 PM
To be honest I dont see the need, plus you then have to pay for it with a new headstock latter on when it comes to service time.

Ryan
11-03-09, 01:49 PM
In my opinion Theres a time and a place for them, wouldent go thro a busy resitantial area doing it, but on a quiet road with no one about maybe

ONFIRE
11-03-09, 02:10 PM
'Deliberate Wheelies' are not even allowed on the Track. :o

Will only end up in tears (DD40) if you get caught on a public highway so why do them? ::)

Then again ...Don't condemn them 8-)

FJ_Biker
11-03-09, 02:37 PM
Remind me not to buy your second hand bike ;D

spudgun
11-03-09, 02:55 PM
not big and not clever

but they look the bo**ox 8-)

wish i could do them properly

hotdog
11-03-09, 02:59 PM
I think a well performed, smooth, controlled, wheelie looks fantastic. On a clear, open road, no problem to my mind. When I think they look like a complete numpty and would shake my head is when they're performed by people who really don't know how to do it properly and are plainly practicing, and in crowded high streets, busy roads etc.

I wish I could do them well... but even if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to do them often. Maybe if someone lent me their bike in case it all went tits up lol.

steveo
11-03-09, 03:38 PM
i agree with time and a place for them , but i cnt say much i aint even been able to get my gixer to do them, its rider error but i like to blame it on the bike :'(

westcountryninja
11-03-09, 03:38 PM
good to see a mix of view, when i do, i ensure it's not busy and i'm in control. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
11-03-09, 04:01 PM
I love em! In the right places of course and only if done properly no half hearted blip of the throttle and panic attempts i see all too often past the window at work

Iceman
11-03-09, 04:21 PM
'Youtube" is full of video clips where the bike has gone into a tank slapper on touchdown with a wrecked bike the result. I'm sure they all thought it was fun until they wrecked their pride and joy! If It's your thing fine, but it's not for me so ride safe!

;)

Scotty
11-03-09, 08:56 PM
not big and not clever

but they look the bo**ox 8-)

wish i could do them properly
Au contraire my friend, they are indeed big and they are indeed clever - at least when done competently [smiley=thumbsup.gif] just like speed really; there's a right time and a right place.
On track there are places where it's impossible to avoid, such as Cadwell's Mountain hehehe 8-) and others where it's fun to do it deliberately, like cresting the rise out of Surtees at Brands or over the hill after Foulston's at Oulton... no clutch needed, just full beans ;D ;D ;D

Trist
12-03-09, 01:59 PM
Do what you want but prepare to accept the consequences if they're done in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's how I see it?

schwee
12-03-09, 04:34 PM
I can't even power wheelie! Thats why I'm looking forward to Cadwell in July. I need to give up bikes if i don;t even manage a wheelie over the mountain! ;D

bladep102
12-03-09, 06:16 PM
Time and a place but is very much a riding skill that all racers have because bikes wheelie on full chat so they have to learn to control them so dont knock what you cant do or you will start to sound like a politician

Scotty
12-03-09, 06:45 PM
I can't even power wheelie! Thats why I'm looking forward to Cadwell in July. I need to give up bikes if i don;t even manage a wheelie over the mountain! ;D
Have you done Cadwell before Schwee? It really is the best track ever, varied and interesting, and challenging too - shame they defiled it by putting that poxy chicane in a few years ago >:( Having sung its praises like that, it's just as bleak as anywhere else when it's chucking it down, has no pit garages or power supply, but when the sun is shining and the tarmac is warm, it's pure heaven ;D
There's a technique to getting the Mountain right, let me know if you'd like me to divulge it :)

R1chie
12-03-09, 11:37 PM
Wheelies......brilliant........I just wish I could do them (on demand) :)

There's a technique to getting the Mountain right, let me know if you'd like me to divulge it :)

I do as I'm thinking of doing a trackday there soon. Wanna get some air like Karl Harris! :o ;D

schwee
13-03-09, 06:33 PM
Yes please, any tips are greatfully received :)

I know I'm gonna **** my pants the first time I go over it!

Davey
13-03-09, 09:25 PM
Yes please, any tips are greatfully received :)

I know I'm gonna crap my pants the first time I go over it!

Nah you won't you'll be fine and enjoy it - I love cadders just a shame its so far away as I can't do overnight stop overs

Scotty
14-03-09, 09:36 AM
OK, listen carefully, pay attention at the back ;)
There are two principal things to get right for the Mountain:
1) The line - the track isn't straight there, over the crest it kinks slightly to the right, so if you go up it along the left hand side you'll end up on the grass :o The trick is to take the right-hander at the base in a wide smooth arc (you're not racing so don't worry about the fastest or most defensive line, you'll be on a trackday so arsing about is the name of the game), sweep wide and then go up the rise at an angle, from left to right, aiming to crest in the middle of the track. I normally use 2nd gear, should be adequate for most depending on their ratios - DON't use 1st, too jerky and you'll be very untidy, too slow as well. Use 3rd if you like to get the line right and when you've learnt which way to go, you come to the next bit...
2) Throttle - The first time you see the Mountain from the bottom you'll think out loud "Feck me, that's steep!" but don't worry, you've got to be going BSB-type fast or being extremely stupid to crash there (though I have seen it hehehehe ;D) The crest is in two stages, and the first time you go over the first bit at a reasonable speed the front will lift involuntarily so you'll probably over-react and slam it back down by shutting off - don't worry, you won't be alone... the trick (for fooling around) is to crest it quickly enough so the front lifts, then feather the throttle a bit to level it off and catch it before it drops, holding it up as far as you can towards the clubhouse, making sure it's back down before you need to turn into Hall bends. If you don't hold it off the first crest, it'll lift off the second one a fraction later anyway 8-)

Got that? Right, book yourselves onto Cadwell and repeat throughout the day ;)