PDA

View Full Version : Does your Helmet fit properly ?

nickw
20-02-09, 09:56 PM
Serious Question.

Has anyone had any headaches or any other symptoms as a result of a bad fitting helmet. I am asking because I am experiencing some migranes/headaches in wierd places of late and come to think of it, its been happening since I got my current helmet last June !

Has anyone else had a similar tale to tell, or is it just me being odd :)

Your comments will be most welcome. I also have an appointment to see the doc again on Monday if anyone asks !

alanTDM
20-02-09, 10:38 PM
Usually a bad fitting helmet eg tight across forehead will give the wearer a headache

mikesouthby
20-02-09, 10:39 PM
I've been fine with mine mate, but, it does make sense... if your lid is putting any particular pressure points on your head I can easy imagine it could cause headaches!

Cat_Macd
21-02-09, 12:53 AM
i lost a helmet once so to get home had to borrow one off a mate, it was way to small and by the time i got home i had the worst headache.

would not do it again

R1chie
21-02-09, 01:45 AM
I've been fine with mine mate, but, it does make sense... if your lid is putting any particular pressure points on your head I can easy imagine it could cause headaches!

I agree, especially if the helmet you had just bought is made by a different manufacturers to your previous lid. For instance, my fat heed fits arai's and suomy's but not shoei's even though the size of the lids are technically the same.

Best to check in with the docs just in case anyway, see what the beef is.

ONFIRE
21-02-09, 05:17 PM
Is your Lid made of Chocolate or cheese ;D ;D ;D ;D
8-)

crewy
21-02-09, 08:22 PM
When i got my 1st helmet, i sat in infront of the tv with it on to make sure it fitted properly and after about 45min i felt a pain in the back of my head and it got worse and caused me some pain, so i took it back and got a bigger size that fitted great, never had the same problems again

Ryan
21-02-09, 10:40 PM
I thought you couldent return helmets thats what they say everytime i buy one anyways :-/ best to have a decent comfy helmet tis the most important piece of kit you ware [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mikesouthby
21-02-09, 11:45 PM
Apart from your pants, have you seen my riding! LOL :D

Ryan
22-02-09, 01:01 AM
lol true :D

mikesouthby
22-02-09, 01:25 AM
...yeah you wern't meant to agree with me on that one!

mcicy
22-02-09, 02:15 AM
Used to get headaches from my old Shark helmet so i got rid of it for a Shoei and haven't had any problems since

crewy
22-02-09, 02:17 PM
You can return helmets aslong as they have all the tags and sticker on them and in as new condition

Davey
22-02-09, 02:58 PM
You can return helmets aslong as they have all the tags and sticker on them and in as new condition

No you can't! Unless there is a manufacturer defect - as a shop doesn't know if you have damaged it in some way - dealerships will also have it clearly marked on the shelves and counter!

As for people that try the ones on the shelf on then want another out the back but don't try that on your mad as they are hand built and each one can be a different fitment

crewy
23-02-09, 11:55 AM
Well i''ve returned 2 helmets now, i returned one only a few weeks ago as i had bought a small helmet for my nephew but it was to big, so i was able to return it 4 a full refund!

nickw
23-02-09, 12:31 PM
Well, I have been given the all clear, but I will still be changing my helmet. Interesting comments thanks about Suomy helmets, as thats what I have got. I used to have a HJC and never had a problem.

Best I get a new one then ;)

FJ_Biker
23-02-09, 12:52 PM
Why not go back to the HJC for a few months and see if the problem goes away before you invest in a new lid

Kevinb
23-02-09, 01:29 PM
Only problem I have is I have a Caberg open face and it starts to lift at about 110mph. It does make your neck muscles stronger though. I've tried having it as tight as possible, but still get the same result.
I feel too enclosed in a full face.

Davey
24-02-09, 10:10 PM
Well i''ve returned 2 helmets now, i returned one only a few weeks ago as i had bought a small helmet for my nephew but it was to big, so i was able to return it 4 a full refund!

Nice to know theres places that refund helmets cos someone can't measure their head - or another way is selling helmets someone could have damaged - suppose theres different rules for internet sales but if its protecting my bonce I want the best fit and only 1 way for that is to try it on

crewy
25-02-09, 02:12 PM

Nice to know theres places that refund helmets cos someone can't measure their head - or another way is selling helmets someone could have damaged - suppose theres different rules for internet sales but if its protecting my bonce I want the best fit and only 1 way for that is to try it on

Looks like George Whites aint the place to buy a helmet from then!!! ;D

igbell
01-03-09, 10:06 PM
I have a Shoei and I wore that lid in the shop for over 20mins to make sure it was the one, after getting the low down from Ride mag about best lids for the price and sound and such like.

My wife bought the same lid and had issues with it and I had to crush the front on the forehead as this always gave her a red forehead and a headache.

Davey
02-03-09, 07:41 AM

Not if your a dickhead and don't try stuff on properly! :o Thats why GW's staff are trained by the manufacturer of each helmet to ensure they can advise etc

Buying a helmet isn't like buying a pair of trainers - its your personal safety equipment - put it bluntly I don't care if yours don't fit properly or is uncomfortable as I know mine does and it's comfy offering me the best protection

crewy
13-03-09, 11:24 PM

Not if your a dickhead and don't try stuff on properly! :o Thats why GW's staff are trained by the manufacturer of each helmet to ensure they can advise etc

Buying a helmet isn't like buying a pair of trainers - its your personal safety equipment - put it bluntly I don't care if yours don't fit properly or is uncomfortable as I know mine does and it's comfy offering me the best protection

I hope this isn't the attitude of all the sales people down GW, as the after sales service must be awful!!! :o

ONFIRE
13-03-09, 11:38 PM
Kid's eh Stu, ;D ;D ;D

Iceman
14-03-09, 12:11 AM
Yeh, definately sounds like a tight helmet sx! Have you tried a few days without wearing one to see If the headaches stop? Also try a head massager to relieve tense scalp! Just my pennies worth! :-/ [smiley=happy.gif]

R1chie
14-03-09, 12:27 AM

I hope this isn't the attitude of all the sales people down GW, as the after sales service must be awful!!! :o

Now now boys, take a chill pill as this is edging towards getting too personal.

ONFIRE
14-03-09, 02:50 AM

Now now boys, take a chill pill as this is edging towards getting too personal.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/poshboy_photos/stuff/smiley_25.gif

8-)

Davey
14-03-09, 07:22 AM
LOL I'd forgotten about this thread - nothing like dragging up old news ::)

Must have hit a raw nerve there ;) Well if the hat fits (or doesn't in this case!) ;D

crewy
14-03-09, 09:57 AM
Me and Thunderbird were talking and laughing about this in work so i thought i'd better leave a reply ;D

6T
14-03-09, 10:29 AM
yes and thunderbird was thinking of posting something on the same lines as R1chies post.Stu presuming you are of more mature years you shoud no better than to get involved ;)

Davey
14-03-09, 03:03 PM
Too true TB I shouldn't but I only initially wanted to point out we don't do returns on helmets

paddee
17-03-09, 08:11 PM
Choosing your lid is a difficult thing.
And no disrespect, but when I wnet to GW's I got no help at all.
Apart from, "get the one you like".

Then, I'd like to have a helmet in it's original packaging, and try that before parting with cash.
You don't know what's happened to the lids on display.

Just about the most important peaice of protection to buy, with such lack of support/help from the sales staff, shocking!

And crazy, how some one will pay vast amounts for a pair o boots, and fuss at spending more than £100 for a lid!

Iceman
18-03-09, 03:57 AM
Bought a new helmet Yesterday and yeh like asked make sure it fits etc etc from GW as no returns. I'm returning Today as part of the chin flap is missing.I didn't notice that 'till I got home. oops! :-/