PDA

View Full Version : corners

steveo
17-03-09, 08:31 PM
ok so can someone plz tell me or talk me through how to go round a corner without passing wind even befor i get to it :(, its really annoying that i can not confidently take a corner :-[ :'(

Ryan
17-03-09, 08:37 PM
in my opinion there is no "set way" of your doing it, you must do it how you feel comftable just keep pratising mate u will get there, but take care! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

steveo
17-03-09, 08:45 PM
yeah ya probaly right mate, just need practise, need to get out there bit more, lighter bike would help too

Davey
17-03-09, 09:03 PM
in my opinion there is no "set way" of your doing it, you must do it how you feel comftable just keep pratising mate u will get there, but take care! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

But there is a correct way! If your going in all wrong it could explain a lot!

Being smooth, confident and controlled are key elements as well as being in the right position. All this comes with practice and a few helpful tips - I have pm'd you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
17-03-09, 09:46 PM
Without wanting to repeat what Stu has rightly said, it'll all come down to practice practice practice.

Of course, you'll need to appreciate and gauge the corner intensity, your speed, road position, 'looking through the corner' etc

Seeing that I'm relatively close to Salisbury during the week, if you have an afternoon spare anytime, let me know and if I can I'll gladly go for a spin with you to see what we can do to help you out.

Scotty
17-03-09, 10:47 PM
Steve, from what I'm reading I'd say the best money you could spend would be on a day at the California Superbike School, where you'll get taken completely back to basics to learn how and why the bike does what it does, and how you can get it to do what you want it to - not cheap, but more than worth it for the understanding and confidence that you'll gain from it, probably the best £350-odd you'll ever spend on biking...

paddee
17-03-09, 11:32 PM
Nice to have a thread just for this :)

My 2pence worth..
I try to come in from outside of corner, there you get most visibilty around corner, and can come back in a bit if conditions demand it.

And generaly I try to avoind center of road, as this is where you get most of the crap.

Usualy I follow the 'tyre tracks' let the cars clear the way.

But into corner nice n easy, keeping pawer neutral to on slightly.
And gently increase on way out, don't want any tank slappers.

And I'd recomend Bike Safe.
Plenty advice in morning, then a nice ride with Bill, who'll let you know what he thinks of your riding (in a constructive maner) and you try again.

Take a spin around Wales one weekend, they are gorgeous roads.
MAny coeners, not too many cars. And if it turns out like last weekend, you can't ask for more, part from cup o T and a cake :)

Iceman
18-03-09, 01:37 AM
I got back into bikes last year and spent a lot of evenings riding between large roundabouts near my home gradually building my confidence.I studied "counter steering" and looking into the corner. Bike safe also had some useful info but personal practice'and lots of it at your pace' with this newfound knowledge has helped me no end. Also on Rideouts I find myself riding quicker into corners inspired by the other riders although I'd say I'm probably still the slowest and most cautious rider there!lol I don't get flustered and just lay back and enjoy the ride,that's why I'm called 'Iceman'.

FJ_Biker
18-03-09, 07:24 AM
Practice and more practice, take a couple of advanced riding lessons.

schwee
18-03-09, 08:34 AM
The key is learning to read the road, so you know exactly what the corner will do before you are there. Bikesafe will take you over these basic but fundamental skills.

Rising with others will help, and although you shouldn't ever ride according to the person in front, it helps you to gauge the severity of the corner, and will probably allow you to pick up the pace.

Relax on the bars before you set yourself up for the corner, and practice counter steering, which is an effective method of using light actions on the bars to achieve big results.

Start slow and work your way up. Pick a stretch of road that you like and that you can learn, and go over and over and over it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
18-03-09, 09:06 AM
Also don't worry about not gettign every corner right...everyone messes them up now and then! It will defintiely come in time, I can remember having just passed me test and hating corners due to having no confidence - now I look forward to the next one! Must admit that with me a lighter bike did wonders though - made an immediate difference to my riding which also boosted my confidence

igbell
18-03-09, 09:09 AM
I say get your butt on one of the saftey rides that get done by the cops throught the summer through Colin, there is a post on here of the dates and time and places, sign up.
Since being on this course my cornering went from slowly slowly catch a monkey to going round without even thinking about it and being smooth and steady.

Iceman
18-03-09, 09:45 AM
...as I mentioned earlier "BikeSafe" courses really do teach you a lot and they're enjoyable at the same time.Book yourself in early to avoid disspointment though! Maybe we can start a "better rider online course" thread of sorts on here by our distinghished experienced riders on here? [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ONFIRE
18-03-09, 09:51 AM
The key is learning to read the road, so you know exactly what the corner will do before you are there. Bikesafe will take you over these basic but fundamental skills.

Rising with others will help, and although you shouldn't ever ride according to the person in front, it helps you to gauge the severity of the corner, and will probably allow you to pick up the pace.

Relax on the bars before you set yourself up for the corner, and practice counter steering, which is an effective method of using light actions on the bars to achieve big results.

Start slow and work your way up. Pick a stretch of road that you like and that you can learn, and go over and over and over it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Took the words out of my mouth :o. I have to agree. Well said Shelley 8-)

steveo
18-03-09, 10:15 AM
wow what a help, thanks to everyone for ya input, im defo gana get out there a bit more and see what happens, will look into some courses as well i think, sounds like a great idea.
r1iche would be up for coming out for a blast anytime really let me know when ya about, also got stu giving me a few pointers one day as well, so all help or all hands on deck as they say ;Dl, but yeah all great tips thanks

bladep102
19-03-09, 07:48 PM
get on a track day or california superbike school they will teach you the drill brake turning in point apex exit and as colin edwards says then join the dots up and lots of practice :)

steveo
19-03-09, 08:06 PM
i have seen a dvd on the css and thay look really good

westcountryninja
20-03-09, 11:14 AM
My advice would be too look early, think where you want to be, relax, enjoy the corner... oh and try and get you elbow on the road...lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
20-03-09, 03:37 PM
My advice would be too look early, think where you want to be, relax, enjoy the corner... oh and try and get you elbow on the road...lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Look early, but don't turn too early, you'll run out of road and won't have any options to change your line should you need to :o
What sort of condition are your tyres? Are the pressures correct? Has anyone looked at your suspension? Often a few minutes spent adjusting things to where they should be can make a world of difference.
One of the most important things is to relax, and try counter-steering, it's dead simple (practice on a wide and empty road to start with), then the bike will work for you instead of you having to fight it..

steveo
20-03-09, 04:38 PM
counter-steering? hows that work

Scotty
20-03-09, 06:23 PM
It sounds weird, but works really well - find yourself a nice wide empty road if you can, to try it. Ride along at a modest speed, say between 30-40mph in a straight line, and try pushing either bar very gently - as you push the right bar away from you, the bike turns to the right, likewise for a push on the left bar - it's how to initiate a turn with absolutely minmal effort, and you'll find that all you need to do is guide the bike where you want it. Take time to practice it :)
The last thing I'd want to do is to sound patronising, but who taught you to ride? Did you do DAS? It doesn't sound to me, from reading your posts, that they spent much time on teaching you the basics of actually riding a bike...

bobf279
20-03-09, 08:33 PM
Try looking here:

http://home.clara.net/survivalskills/rskills.htm

and here:

http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/improve.html

I found both sites useful early doors after passing my test

R1chie
20-03-09, 11:45 PM
You about tomorrow Steve?

Thinking about a blast to 3x bikes via Salisbury. Tag along if you want

steveo
21-03-09, 12:04 PM
sorry mate i am off the roads for a few weeks bike is in for mot and has to be looked at, but will come another time sorry mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
21-03-09, 03:38 PM
cooor u must be as pissed off as me steve, a nice day like this and cant go out :(

R1chie
21-03-09, 04:19 PM
sorry mate i am off the roads for a few weeks bike is in for mot and has to be looked at, but will come another time sorry mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

No worries. Give me a shout when you are back up and running.

steveo
23-03-09, 09:05 AM
wiil do mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :)