PDA

View Full Version : Restricting a "big" bike

Azrall
23-03-09, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm due to take my CBT on the 1st April, will be the first time I've ever ridden a geared bike as I rode a Scooter many years before hand. I've bought a nice little 125cc to learn on to begin with, but in a year or so I can see myself getting very bored with it's lack of power. In regards to my test, I wanted to go for the A2 as I didn't want to end up buying a 500+cc bike and wrapping it around a tree. However I don't really want to stay on the 125 forever. Would any of you recommend restricting a bike to aid my learning or is it just a waste of time?

Cheers,

Allan

steveo
23-03-09, 09:14 PM
i had a mate that gor an r6 ages ago and he restricted it till he was ready, but end of day its how you feel bout doing it, im not sure but if you restrict a bigger bike i duno how it changes the settings on the bike and if the bikes handeling will be afected in anyway, but good luck with whatever you choose to do [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Chrissie
23-03-09, 09:34 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to see you run before you can walk, but I only started riding at the end of last summer, I finally past my test in December and now ride a Honda Hornet 600.

I recommend getting in as many miles as you can on the 125 going for your full licence and not necessarily bothering with a restriction. If you think you'll get bored quickly you probably will, the bike only goes as fast as you make it, just take it easy and be disciplined, you could save yourself money in the long run and have a whole lot more fun. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
23-03-09, 10:02 PM
i rode a scooter when i was 16 - 17 then redone my cbt last summer time, rode around till november on my 125 done my full test and went straight to a unrestricted gsxr 600 ie got on alright just need to do whatever u feel comftable with [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Trist
23-03-09, 10:15 PM
i rode a scooter when i was 16 - 17 then redone my cbt last summer time, rode around till november on my 125 done my full test and went straight to a unrestricted gsxr 600 ie got on alright just need to do whatever u feel comftable with [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thats perfectly fine for you mate and nice one, the only thing threadstarter has to consider (I know this as I was in the same situation), is whether he has the mindset to resist temptation to whip the restrictors out before the 2 years are up on the license.

I'm neither for or against this btw as I think, as with anything, individual riders and their mentality/ability plays more of a part in whether they're "ready" for a bigger bike than a generic age the G'ment recommends - if you do the crime just be prepared to take the time, that's my attitude towards it. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I went from a 50cc RS50 to a 33bhp SRAD 600 and contrary to popular belief, found it pretty user friendly and easily adaptable. Weight wasn't an issue either and you get used to the power frightningly quickly. After ~7,000 miles riding on a SRAD it's still teachning me more and more though.

My advice would be do what you want as it's you that will be riding the bike afterall. LEt us know how you get on and there are loads of helpful members on here and other forums that can assist you with any queries you have, whatever cc bike you go for :)

Ryan
23-03-09, 10:51 PM
Yes indeed, thats why i said on the end do whatever he feels comftable doing ;)

Personaly if i was on a restricted licence i wouldent want to ride un-restricted anyway [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
24-03-09, 12:24 AM
I did an A2 test, then after my 2years was up i bough a Kawasaki ninja 636, and although it's quite tempting to open it up, as long as you remember that the people you may be riding with are more experienced and capable on a bike then you and dont try doing the same things they do, then you should be alright.

Just take your time to get used to the power and the handling of the bike first

Kevinb
24-03-09, 08:51 AM
Restricting is a good idea, but I would say I know too much power can get you into trouble, it is also handy to have it there to get you out of it.
Restrictors come in many guises depending on the bike, anything from a humble washer can restrict the airflow. A lot is down to the weight of the bike and most aren't droped at speed, but on slow speed stuff (carparks, etc). You can even restrict a Bonneville (low but heavy)
You need to do what you feel is right for you and buy a bike you feel comfortable with. Try going to GW or Fowlers and sit on as many different size and styles of bike you can.

Cheers Kev

mcicy
24-03-09, 01:14 PM
I started off on a CB1 400 restricted as I got bored of the 125 really fast. Well worth resticting as it t used to the power jump from a 125 up to a 500+

igbell
24-03-09, 01:23 PM
Yes I would go for say a CB500 or a ER5 and have this brought down to 33Bhp and then at least you can then unplug the restrictor after the period and still have a bike you are used to but then have a tad more power.

Davey
24-03-09, 01:35 PM
Certain manufacturers give restrictor kits away with the bikes - these are a simple plug in device so can be removed once the period has passed.

You can also look at the SV650, bandit, Gladius, er5, er6, fazer, xj600 - depends how much you want to spend - if buying used allow approx £200 for a restrictor kit plus fitting!

Azrall
24-03-09, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I only ask as I went into GW on saturday, sat on a VN900 classic and got quite attached to it!!

Many thanks for your views. Much appreciated!

Davey
24-03-09, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I only ask as I went into GW on saturday, sat on a VN900 classic and got quite attached to it!!

Many thanks for your views. Much appreciated!

So you came into my work and didn't introduce yourself :-? - come and see me and we'll see what deal we can do [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Azrall
24-03-09, 07:40 PM
[/quote]

So you came into my work and didn't introduce yourself :-? - come and see me and we'll see what deal we can do [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

LOL I don't know where you sit Stu! I was with the Mrs, her Mum and her Mum's mate. He was looking at the new ER. Least i think that's what it was, I was just amusing myself on the VN! lol.

Davey
24-03-09, 07:51 PM
I sit on the back left between Yamaha and Suzuki - don't forget I can also sell to your friends and family too :)

Or just ask anyone for me and they'll direct you to me

Azrall
24-03-09, 10:53 PM
Awesome, well in the future, if you can do me a cracking deal on a VN900 then I'll defo come visit you ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D ;D

Davey
25-03-09, 07:43 PM
Of course I'll always look after anyone from WB buying a bike from me!

ONFIRE
25-03-09, 08:24 PM

I can vouch for the Coffee's far better than Starbuck's Lol :D

Davey
25-03-09, 08:41 PM

I can vouch for the Coffee's far better than Starbuck's Lol :D

Not from the machine :D