PDA

View Full Version : New bike woes =[

Azrall
03-04-09, 05:31 PM
Hi all, finally passed the CBT and got my bike and it's all on the road! Sweet. For those who want to see her, here she is:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6453/01042009231.jpg

Though as usual something goes wrong with it =[

I bought it from GW Swindon, sale went though fine. picked it up on the 1st April. (wednesday) Low and behold the following occours, bike has no tax, no one knows why, there is no service book, no one knows why, there is no owners manual, yep you guessed it, no one knows why. So I grumble, ride it home and tax it the next morning. £15 for the year, can't complain but then again it's £15 I didn't want to spend. I decided to find out why I have no manuals, so I ride to GW to discover that my bike is making a strange squeaking sound when coasting.....strange. I get to GW and enquire about the serivce book and owners manual. I'm now told there never was an owners manual >:( but there was a service manual however it was lost, so a "new" one was done for me. So I sigh dejectedly and go on my merry way. I did however have a good ride out to Avebury and back.

This morning, I rode to chippenham and back through the backroads, on the return journey, I hear a lil ping noise coming from the front of my bike. I look down at the speedo to see the needle dropping to zero while I was still doing 45mph. after having the bike TWO days the speedo cable goes...not impressed >:( So off I trundle again to GW to be told nothing can be done with it until 4pm Monday...there goes my 1st decent weekend of biking ruined :'(

So far my experience of owning my first bike has been appalling due to the following reasons:

I have no idea where anything is on my bike due to no owners manual,
Miffed about the tax,
and very miffed because the speedo cable has gone and my bike sounds like a hyperactive mouse.

not a happy bunny.

Grr. Rant over =/

schwee
03-04-09, 05:47 PM
You should have got a familiarisation talk from the salesman to show you where things are, so that you are safe at least getting off their forecourt. The owners manuals aren't great anyway and you can probably find all you need on the internet.

I'd highly recommend a Haynes manual to help you to do little mechanical bits yourself. Did the bike have a full service history? If not then the service book isn't that important anyway but at least they are replacing it for you.

You will probably find that the speedo cable has just come unscrewed - you get a lot of vibrations on those little bikes, but something that you could easily sort yourself and will get you looking all round the bike and more familiar with it.

Don't be disheartened. You can still go out, just go steady. On Monday, you can bargain with George Whites, and maybe get a free service out of them?

All the bikes should be safety checked anyway, and every noise will feel strange at first...

Chin up, enjoy your weekend 8-)

Snowy
03-04-09, 07:09 PM
I think you should definately complain - the bike should have been roadworthy when it left GW's with Tax. I'm appalled it didnt. At the very least get a free service as compensation and get it in writing.

Otherwise enjoy the bike and the fantastic weather we are going to have this year.

Davey
03-04-09, 08:29 PM
As the signs on the wall state (in main building and don't see why the others are different!) that tax is not included in any used bike sales (we also don't remove any remaining tax on our side so you might get lucky)- we have a hard enough time trying to get people to supply their insurance for new reg bikes.

I am assuming it was a used bike as service book etc missing - if it was a new bike that is a different matter and there is no reason for it not being taxed if the insurance and afrl forms were returned.

Regarding your cable or whatever has gone - unfortunatly that happens with mechanical things a cable could break after 10 miles or 1000,000 miles. The workshop can only look at a bike when they have space as other people have been booked in etc. I know its your new bike and do feel bad that it has problems so soon - have you checked to see if the cable is loose?

See thats what you get for not buying from me ;) :o

ONFIRE
03-04-09, 09:54 PM
Secondhand sales Tax is ones own responsibility :) But I am nice like that always leave the Tax disc on all bikes I trade in, remember leaving 12 months Tax on 07 R1.

Guess the bike would of had a professional multi-point mechanical check and would of left their workshop in tip top condition. Just one of those things vibrated loose.

Popped into GW's today not expecting immediate attention as they're so busy & I respect that, had my throttle play adjusted within few mins. Big Thank's to Andy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Top Man.

I :-* GW's :-* :-* Think I said that before 8-)

Davey
03-04-09, 10:08 PM
Secondhand sales Tax is ones own responsibility :) But I am nice like that always leave the Tax disc on all bikes I trade in, remember leaving 12 months Tax on 07 R1.

Guess the bike would of had a professional multi-point mechanical check and would of left their workshop in tip top condition. Just one of those things vibrated loose.

Popped into GW's today not expecting immediate attention as they're so busy & I respect that, had my throttle play adjusted within few mins. Big Thank's to Andy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Top Man.

T'was good to see you again Tim - making me laugh watching you trying to get on the WR ;D

ONFIRE
03-04-09, 10:11 PM

T'was good to see you again Tim - making me laugh watching you trying to get on the WR ;D

Yeah definitely a technique getting on & off one of those jobbies. I am pleased I provided you some Friday afternoon entertainment Lol! 8-)

FJ_Biker
03-04-09, 10:31 PM
Hi all, finally passed the CBT and got my bike and it's all on the road! Sweet. For those who want to see her, here she is:

Shame to hear about you teething problems, but on the plus side it’s good to see another biker on the road [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Azrall
04-04-09, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it's good to be on the road! =]

schwee
08-04-09, 06:28 PM
You all sorted now then Azrall??