PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav advice

rach4444
04-04-09, 11:30 AM
Having bought my bike just days before the sunshine dissappeared for the winter, no to be seen again for months, Ive managed to do clock about 200 miles of my 2000 target in practice for my test.

Now that summer is close by Im finally getting out on my bike more and travelling further from home, which is great if your not a girl with a directional dissabillity... Im now bored of travelling the same farmilliar roads and want to spread my wings.

I know you will say, 'Just Ride, enjoy and see where you end up' but I really am rubbish when I dont know where I am, and won't be able to find my way home again...

Therefore, Im looking for advice on what Sat Navs are reccommended. Ive seen the obvious Tom Tom but dont want to buy the obvious brand just because I dont know the market.

Any suggestions and advise would be most welcome, and I might eventually get more than 5 miles from home.

Thanks.

hotdog
04-04-09, 02:34 PM
As someone who uses Sat Nav extensively, I strongly recommend Garmin over TomTom any day. Garmin sat navs come complete with MapSource which enable you spend hours at your PC planning routes... then with a simple click view and even travel the route in Google Earth. Perfect for making sure the roads you'll be on are suitable. The problem with all sat navs is also their strong point and that is they will all get you home... however, they don't often care how and will lead you down some weird and wonderful but thoroughly unsuitable roads at times.

Not sure what your budget is, but for 400 quid you will soon be able to buy the new Garmin Zumo 660. Well worth waiting for (mine is already on pre-order). If you can't stretch to that, any of the zumo range will be just fine.

Don't forget that you'll also need a way to pipe the audio to your ears as the verbal instructions are probably critical so you don't have to keep looking at the sat nav screen.

All Zumos have blue tooth, phone integration and MP3 capability if you like tunes on the go too.

Anyway, that's my recommendation and I've owned both makes.

Regards,

davej
04-04-09, 03:20 PM
never used one ive got a map, sorry after the amount of artics ive seen being sent down roads 2 narrow i avoid them like the proverbial.

SupeRDel
04-04-09, 05:53 PM
Britain is a small country - been riding since 1974 and have always used a map. I check where I am going and can get 95% there before I have to recheck.

Saw on another forum how a chap lot his sat nav while riding around the M25.

If you need a Sat Nav on the M25 then you have serious problems.

Personally I think they are as dangerous as mobile phones - especially on a bike. Prefer to stop and check the map -safer that way.

SupeRDel
04-04-09, 05:54 PM
I use the google earth for route planning.

davej
04-04-09, 06:11 PM
i use the rac website for route planning

midnight
04-04-09, 07:20 PM
If Sat Nav is your preferred route, pardon the pun. Then the Garmin Quest is probably the cheapest option. If you get the bike bracket and wire it to the bike then you can use an ear piece to get your verbal commands. A good quality ear piece can be bought from Maplin Electronics for about a fiver. The Quest can also be used with another bracket for your car. The Quest units are one of the smaller units on the market and if you hill walk you can load them with cartography mapping and use them as a hand held. ::)

igbell
04-04-09, 08:44 PM
Hi Rachel if you are after a Sat Nav then I would say use the Garmin, as when my two mates were using them when we went for a spin one had the bike Tom Tom and the other had the garmin, and the Garmin was esier to use with the gloves on and also the maps were better than the Tom Tom (but then again it also all down to the maps you down load and the version you have).

But me myself use a tank bag with a map book in it or Google maps in it...
I prefer to have this set up so that I am not distracted by the Sat Nav

rach4444
05-04-09, 12:48 AM
Thank you everybody for your replies and advice. I think Ill go for the Garmin Zumo 660 when it comes out as suggested by Burger. Thanks for the helpful info.. Got a promotion with a chunky pay rise recently so will treat myself.

As for using Google Earth AA route planner or a Map, I don't think some of you quite get my superior inabillity to find where I am, where Im going or where I came from.

Everywhere I go in Swindon, I have to start out at Cheney Manor and can usually find my way from there, even if Im not going to the garden centre!!! And left or right... dont even go there.!

You'll be pleased to know that I wont be joining you on any ride outs as well never get there...

davej
09-04-09, 03:36 PM
why worry rachel go out at night and navigate by the stars,

igbell
09-04-09, 04:47 PM
Hey hold on if you are buying a Garmin then you ARE coming out on the ride outs, as point rider, as you can tell us where to go.

rach4444
09-04-09, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the job offer igbell. You might regret it...

igbell
14-04-09, 04:24 PM
Nah only if you dont get me home intime for tea that is..... ;D ;D