PDA

View Full Version : great weather

steveo
08-04-09, 07:28 PM
just a big hello to all fellow bikers really, hope ya all haveing a great time in all this nice weather, happy riding and stay safe people [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
08-04-09, 10:37 PM
Bored eh

steveo
08-04-09, 10:41 PM
little bit, but mainly wishing everyone a happy summer ;D ;D ;D ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] but yeah mainly bored sorry

R1chie
08-04-09, 11:04 PM
If you could wish so that I can corner better than a kid on a bicycle with stabilisers I would appreciate it.

steveo
08-04-09, 11:26 PM
::)

R1chie
08-04-09, 11:31 PM
Is that asking a little bit too much? ;)

steveo
08-04-09, 11:32 PM
hmmmmmmm im so lost and confused,

Ryan
09-04-09, 12:35 AM
http://www.thesunblog.com/gourmetgal/spam.jpg

igbell
09-04-09, 09:23 AM
Yep thats what I thought tooooo

steveo
09-04-09, 01:28 PM
>:(

ONFIRE
09-04-09, 02:16 PM
And its going to be soooo Hot this Summer [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

steveo
09-04-09, 02:27 PM
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( should have just kept my mouth shut

Ryan
10-04-09, 12:29 AM
i think suzukisteve is desperate to get the Senior membership ;D

Davey
10-04-09, 06:51 AM
i think suzukisteve is desperate to get the Senior membership ;D

Does Dabs keep deleting his score as I'm sure I've read about 500000 posts from Steve this week :D

steveo
10-04-09, 08:20 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, flipping heck you have found me out lol

igbell
14-04-09, 04:23 PM
Thats what I thought, hes only been here 2 weeks and has half as many posts as me and I have been here umpteen years....I must get spamming.

steveo
14-04-09, 05:28 PM
;D ;D

igbell
14-04-09, 05:30 PM
See hes off again...

steveo
14-04-09, 05:41 PM
i have so many posts becouse i am unenployed and very bored, and this site seems a good place to meet people and make freinds when i get my bike back [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
14-04-09, 07:57 PM
See hes off again...

If no-ones about he even talks to himself ;D

awaits +1 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] from Iceman ;)

steveo
14-04-09, 07:58 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D omg can not belive you said that :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

jack930
14-04-09, 08:11 PM
Or is it that you have reg'd with diff names so it looks like your talking to lots of peps on the forum ....

:P

steveo
14-04-09, 08:12 PM
dnt you start ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (joke) :P

jack930
14-04-09, 08:33 PM
hehe lol
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

steveo
14-04-09, 08:35 PM
lol, cnt wait for the day you all pick on someone other than me lol ;D ;D

Davey
14-04-09, 08:50 PM
lol, cnt wait for the day you all pick on someone other than me lol ;D ;D

We're staying with you for a while - it's soooooo much fun ;D

Scotty
14-04-09, 08:53 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D omg can not belive you said that :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Steve, did you know that we each have a quota of smileys that we can use Free of Charge, and after we've used up our allotted number we have to pay for them? ;)

ONFIRE
14-04-09, 08:55 PM
Plenty of insect life about today ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Well there was :-*

Davey
14-04-09, 08:55 PM
Steve, did you know that we each have a quota of smileys that we can use Free of Charge, and after we've used up our allotted number we have to pay for them? ;)

If he saved that money he'd be able to buy a new bike ::) [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :P ;D :D ;)

steveo
14-04-09, 09:07 PM
well thats nice , insect life.

;D ;D

igbell
15-04-09, 01:15 PM
we do pick on other's norm Amante but we have a new person to take the pee out of....... ;D

nomis17
15-04-09, 03:14 PM
Would be good to be out riding in this lovely weather but ..... :-?5 weeks now laid up with a broken ankle....... :o never been so bored in my life and looking out at the sunny weather and the bike makes it so much more painful :'( :'( :'( :'(

IanTasker
15-04-09, 04:12 PM
Jesus im suprised no-ones picked on me for my sudden outburst of posting......my job really is that boring :D

steveo
15-04-09, 04:49 PM
;D ;D im sure its better than having no job like me. wana work in a bike shop or as a bike mechanic apprentice. but duno how to get started

igbell
15-04-09, 05:11 PM
Have you done any colleage work on this and have a bit of paper behind you, this might help then from there slap your CV to every bike shop/service centre in wiltshire and see what you get....

steveo
15-04-09, 05:35 PM
not yet but have applyed to do mechanics at collage starting in september and that takes a year

igbell
15-04-09, 05:37 PM
In the meantime I would get your butt down to the local garage and ask if you can learn from them for free or such like, then they might take you on once you have got your paper work....

steveo
15-04-09, 05:42 PM
im going to pop round a few in the next few days, but i only have hayballs and sjs or burnout bikes near me so gessing its not going to go well lol, fingers crossed

Scotty
15-04-09, 06:41 PM
im going to pop round a few in the next few days, but i only have hayballs and sjs or burnout bikes near me so gessing its not going to go well lol, fingers crossed
With that attitude you've defeated yourself before you've started Steve... Why wait until a few days' time? Do it tomorrow... ::)

If you don't ask mate, you don't get... ;)

You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking if you can hang around and learn, or work part-time, the worst that they can say is "no"

Something that a mechanic lives or dies by in the professional sense is his or her tools, it's how they earn their living, and generally they have to provide their own - could be a problem helping out as you'd have to borrow theirs and as a rule they never (or at best, rarely) lend them out. All you can do is approach them and say that you have no tools, don't really know anything, but want to learn. If it's something that you really want to do, then it may be worth getting any job, anywhere, in the meantime - stacking shelves, warehouse work, anything to bring a bit of money in ahead of the college course - and spend some of what you earn acquiring a collection of DECENT tools - check the local classifieds, car boot sales and so on, but get decent stuff if you can find it. The golden rule for tools is "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice". I have heaps of stuff, but it's been gradually acquired over 30 years, a bit at a time - I was excited last year to get a set of Snap-On 3/8" deep reach hex sockets for £85 from a guy at work - I know I'll never need buy another 3/8" socket - that's TOOL WANG! ;)

steveo
15-04-09, 08:21 PM
bloody hell scotty, thanks for the kick up the bum, very wise words, will have a go 2moz then and let ya know how it all goes. will defo have to get some tools then, never new all that.

if anyone knows of bike sales jobs or mechanics can ya plz let me know, i would be very greatfull thanks [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
15-04-09, 09:48 PM
I agree with Scotty - tho my current job I fell upon I started off with only Military experiance and lots of qualifications in the wrong things. I was under qualified for things over qualified for others so decided on something I'd enjoy. I went around every garage possible whether it be car bike caravan and seemed to get no-where thankfully one advised the onlything putting them off was my lack of sales experiance! Catch 22 how did I get it without doing it.

So I went down a different route and went into customer services leading to sales and finally face to face sales. This was my foot in the door I had my experiance and applications went everywhere, still had many refusals as no automotive sales history but luckily I did get an offer for bike sales which I took. Went slightly pear shaped when the whole group went bust and back out on the market with P45 in my pocket :( Sent my CV out everywhere and the offers came flooding back!

Since then I have never been out of work.

Basically what I'm saying is know your goal tho you may have to take a different path to get there in the end!

steveo
16-04-09, 09:00 AM
thanks stu, i got some face to face sales as i used to go round peoples homes on apointment and sell/demo kerby hoovers ;D ;D funny job nut did well for 6 months but then went all wrong duno why people just didnt want one anymore. been a superviser for co-op for over a year dealing with the public. also done hotel customer based work, is any of that any good? :-/

igbell
16-04-09, 09:39 AM
Thanx Scotty, you said what I wanted to but a little more 'Get on with it'.

Yes Steve dont just sit on your butt waiting for them to come to you, you go out and get them, in this day and age and with what is going on in the money market you have to be full on.

Yes sorry to say you will have to buy your own tool kit, hence why if I ever need a tool my old man has them all, being an airplane fitter for all his life and doing umpteen different jobs within the industry he has the works. To start with you dont need to get Mac Tools or Snap On's but get a good set (not Halfords) that will last you, until you can start to buy the tools that will out last you.

Like Stu said you might have to take a side door job to get the one you really want to start with and dont be put off with this, hey I started out life working in a Ski and Surf shop and now I am a IT engineer (where did it all go wrong??).

IanTasker
16-04-09, 10:03 AM
Mate your biggest goal should be to get the ever elusive foot in the door, even if it means making brews and sweeping up all day at the garage for pittance after a wee bit of shoulder surfing you'll pick bits up and will no doubt start working on vehicles. As your not doing anything anyway you may as well offer your services (ooer matron) for free for a bit and if they like you ask to be kept on minimum wage. During that week just work your ass off and be as charasmatically charming as possible, if they go down the pub get yourself down with them and get the first round in....may sound like ass kissing but defo a plus in my book :D

igbell
16-04-09, 10:24 AM
Well said Ian

IanTasker
16-04-09, 10:31 AM
Alternatively you could sit in my IT job for a few hours and browse here....i dont do fug all ;D ;D

steveo
16-04-09, 12:28 PM
yeah all sounds good but i also have two kids to feed, pluss all other bill min wage just would not cut it. this is not me trying to find reasons to get out of anything, its how it is unfortunatly,

mikesouthby
16-04-09, 12:42 PM
But minimum wage is better than no wage for a short period of time..

steveo
16-04-09, 12:53 PM
yeah it is. well just phoned hayballs and had my first not at the moment, he needs a mechanic but like you all said, he siad you really need to know what ya doing, o well on to the next one lol

IanTasker
16-04-09, 01:18 PM
Good luck pal

steveo
16-04-09, 01:35 PM
thanks mate fingers crossed

igbell
16-04-09, 03:07 PM
That's it lad, keep going, only 999 left to go....

jj
16-04-09, 04:32 PM
no good phoning people,get out the chair go and see them give them a cv u need to show them your interested and really do want to work.... thats if u do?

sarah_race
16-04-09, 07:36 PM
Like JJ said it's no good phoning, go to them in person, show them just how keen you are and tell them you're booked on a coarse at college. It shows you're making an effort and if they say no you can try again after a while they may then realise you really want it and give you a try.

Proving how committed you are is the first step to making a good impression. Good luck. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
16-04-09, 08:09 PM
Or you could just sit in your chair and I'm sure the world will come to you! :-?

The only reason Alan Sugar does the apprentice is he wasn't sure of your address to come on over ;)

steveo
16-04-09, 10:59 PM
thanks for all ya help peeps,

Hannah
17-04-09, 10:24 AM
What is your CV like? It always helps to have a good CV, mine is squished into 2 pages as its best to not go over 2. I can always send you my template for you to have a look at any modify if you want.

Might also be an idea to sign up to a few recruitment agencies. They will be able to look at your CV and put you forward for jobs that you never would have thought you had the experience for. In the past they have called me and said we think this might be great for you and I sit there thinking bloomin heck I can't do that job and end up getting it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] You should look on Reed and post your CV, if you are a bit reluctant to go and speak to people the agencies will do alot of the work for you, all you have to do it turn up! :) It might be that you have to go down a different job route for a year or so to get to the job that you want.

jack930
17-04-09, 10:50 AM
Join the Army ?

steveo
17-04-09, 12:13 PM
thanks hmb, great help, [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jack930, cant join army,navey,raf until im 27 because i have been turned down due to convictions i have, but would love to one day [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jack930
17-04-09, 03:38 PM
how long you got to go then

steveo
17-04-09, 04:11 PM
im 25 this year