PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to have a GB sticker?

dazlow
13-04-09, 11:11 AM
Does anybody know if I have to display a GB sticker on my bike when riding abroad? My bike is a 2007 but doesn't have a GB bit on the number plate, so does that mean I have to find somewhere to stick a sticker? :-/

Scotty
13-04-09, 12:08 PM
An easy way to achieve this is to get a relatively small GB sticker and the lid off an ice cream tub, cut it to size (and remove all the closing flanges) and mount it beneath your number plate, using the plate screws to fix it. VoilĂ*! does the job, nice and discreet, and can be re-used another time... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dazlow
13-04-09, 11:46 PM
Cheers Scotty, I take it you got your blue peter badge! lol I think i'm gonna just take the risk of not having one, only travelling for a month. I will be looking out for other bikes abroad with "Walls" backed GB stickers. lol

igbell
14-04-09, 04:20 PM
This all depends on the country you are going too, as France yes you do and you have to have a yellow jkt and first aid kit and spare bulbs and such, the best thing to do is go to the countrys embassy site and look through there and they will tell you, the thing is if you are going through one contry that wants the lot and you get stopped you could get fined, so watch yourself.

dazlow
15-04-09, 08:06 PM
Cheers for the advice mate, those French are a right bunch! I'm riding to Germany so will only be on French soil for a short spin when i get off at Dunkerque. Not planning on hanging around so hopefully will be ok. ;)

Amante_271
16-04-09, 01:59 AM
Not planning on hanging around so hopefully will be ok. ;)Just be carefull they dont stop you for speeding and check!!!

igbell
16-04-09, 09:30 AM
Yes they can stop you out of the blue, when I was riding to the south of france they stopped me just cos they could, and I had to get all of my docs out and show all the right bits, so just becareful.

hotdog
16-04-09, 09:44 AM
This all depends on the country you are going too, as France yes you do and you have to have a yellow jkt and first aid kit and spare bulbs and such, the best thing to do is go to the countrys embassy site and look through there and they will tell you, the thing is if you are going through one contry that wants the lot and you get stopped you could get fined, so watch yourself.

The yellow jacket, spare bulbs, triangle etc. doesn't apply to motorcyclists. It took a while to establish that but the AA finally have the correct info on their web site.

Regards,

crewy
17-04-09, 01:38 AM
When you do ride through france, be careful of the policemen hiding behind sign posts and lamp posts with speed guns, they jump out on you as your going past.

Nearly had 1 catch me out last may when i went to the MotoGP, >:(

dazlow
17-04-09, 09:13 PM
I hope there not gonna be jumping out on me on the motorway? lol
From dunkerque your into belgium within 20 mins. I know there quite arse about speeding so will take it easy till Holland. Not going till June but planning ahead. More worried about the guys on Norflkline strapping my bike down. Cheers for all the advice anyway. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
17-04-09, 09:26 PM
I know what you mean about strapping them down, on the ferry i was on, cus there was quite a few bikes on there going to le mans they ran low on straps, so we had 1 strap 2 go over 2 bikes, rather then 2 per bike like they started off doing!

dazlow
17-04-09, 09:38 PM
Took my old ninja to Northern Ireland for the north west and never had a problem with the ferry from Liverpool. I use this Dover/Dunkerque ferry every month in my car and haven't noticed many bikes on it. Its where they place the straps you have to watch as you don't want it damaging any fairing. hopefully they will let me do it myself and i will take some rags(old man U tops)/towels. lol