PDA

View Full Version : New UK speed limits

Uber Dave
21-04-09, 10:16 AM
For any of you who read MCN you will know they have been on about the cat and fiddle run been dropped to 50mph with rear facing average cameras going up to catch bikes. And this sort of follows on from this.

I just saw on the BBC news on TV that they are rolling it out country wide, now while I dont have an issue with the 20mph in residential areas bit (although they do have some in my parents village and around York which nobody pays any attention too and still crack on at 30) I am less than happy with the 60 to 50 drop on A roads in the national limit!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8009364.stm

I give it another 5 years before all motorways have blanket average cameras on the entire road network, and most the a roads have a similar system.

IanTasker
21-04-09, 10:19 AM
I give it another 5 years before all motorways have blanket average cameras on the entire road network, and most the a roads have a similar system.

Yea mate i can see this happening too :(

igbell
21-04-09, 11:04 AM
And so why do we always have to have this, when the rest of europe get away with it??
Its cos we have numptys on the roads that dont behave in the right areas and run people over, if we all behaved in the right locations then we wouldnt have this....

Iceman
21-04-09, 01:00 PM
good comments there "Igbell"!

igbell
21-04-09, 01:10 PM
Thanx Iceman, I do seam to be on a rant today, as I have been having ago on the Audi/VW site and the Gaming site as well about this.

schwee
21-04-09, 08:05 PM
Its not speed that kills, it's idiots that can't drive!

They should introduce better compulsory driver training.

ONFIRE
21-04-09, 08:10 PM
Announced on the news tonight, New motorcycle test for 2009.

ONFIRE
21-04-09, 08:32 PM
Its not speed that kills, it's idiots that can't drive! I disagree!

They should introduce better compulsory driver training.

I agree better training would be help to improve the current situation.

But its not purley the stereotypical word 'Idiots' that cause RTA's & deaths, as you know there are many anomalies that can be the cause of high or low speed accidents. I am sure that one would not right up in ones report He or She was an Idiot. ;)
8-)

FJ_Biker
21-04-09, 10:37 PM
As I understand it this leak came from a government department not the Ministry of transport / Highway agency. So I suspect this was done to gauge public opinion

igbell
22-04-09, 09:35 AM
I say that all new drivers should also take there CBT so they now how dangerous it is being on a bike and then they might think twice about situations.
Also why is it that the bike test has had a revamp and yet the car one has not??

furry-TLR
22-04-09, 05:40 PM
If I remember rightly based on the gov's own figures it was between 4-6% Of deaths/serious injuries that was down to speeding.

Like schwee says, it's about time they stop trying to divert the public eye away from the real problem...the standard of driving/riding on UK roads.

As I've always said, taking your test just once and then thats it for life is madness...they should make regular retests the law in this country!

End of the day doesn't matter how slow you make someone drive, if they are a bad/dangerous driver, they are still going to cause an accident...unless you set all roads to 0mph LOL

I really am sick to death of this current gov...only problem is nothing short of a sucessful terrorist attack is ever going to get rid of them...so might as well move to a different country that ain't so messed up! ;D

bladep102
22-04-09, 08:24 PM
its not speed most of it is inability to drive.I run a go kart event once a year they only do 45mph but the inability to feel what is happening is incredible and the amount of accidents unbelivable but not due to speed BUT INABILITY TO DRIVE :(

Uber Dave
22-04-09, 09:25 PM
Also why is it that the bike test has had a revamp and yet the car one has not??

They said on the 10oclock news last night that they had plans as part of this to overhaul the driving test and how people are taught. About time if you ask me!

Anybody else think that they may have released some of these plans the day before the budget so they can then push it all through parliament in secret while everyone is fuming from how much debt the country is in, and then say "ah we told you about that..... remember, the day before we told you we are all skint!"

schwee
22-04-09, 10:29 PM
I'm gonna slightly amend what I said earlier.

Inappropriate speed does kill. Sometimes it's inappropriate to drive at the 30mph speed limit, on a narrow road with numerous hazards. Equally as inappropriate to drive at 70mph on a motorway when you are tired...

People need training to recognise this.

ONFIRE
22-04-09, 10:32 PM
I'm gonna slightly amend what I said earlier.

Inappropriate speed does kill. Sometimes it's inappropriate to drive at the 30mph speed limit, on a narrow road with numerous hazards. Equally as inappropriate to drive at 70mph on a motorway when you are tired...

People need training to recognise this.
+1 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8-)

Kevinb
23-04-09, 08:55 AM
In certain areas speed limits should be dropped in places like outside schools (20 mph). Speed limits should be increased on motorways (the 70mph limit was brought in when our parents were travelling in Morris Minors and Cortinas), but it doesn't help when last weekend a Polish driver turned around on a motorway and drove back the wrong way wiping out not only him but also four pepole in a Jag.
One of the big areas they haven't covered because it would cost to much money is the condition of the road network. Surfaces have broken up more over the winter and we now have crators where we used to have pot holes. These are more of a danger to motorcyclists and car drivers than speed yet nothing is done.
I set my own speed limits as I know my limits whether in my 4x4, Merc or on the MT-01.

Kev

Bonnielass
23-04-09, 09:12 AM
Well said everyone, I agree with pretty much that everyone has said. Maybe they should teach children at school about hazard awareness and the dangers of driving, whether in a car or on a bike. Driving is the most complex thing we make our body do at one time, using our feet, hands and brain's (hopefully) at the same time.

schwee
23-04-09, 05:06 PM
Some people don't use their brains, and that's the problem.

There are too many vehicles on the road these days and it's increasingly common to see people who just shouldn't be there.

Oh, and I passed my advanced driving test today ;) 8-)

ONFIRE
23-04-09, 07:00 PM
Well Done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Not just a pretty face..hey 8-)

furry-TLR
23-04-09, 09:45 PM
Well Done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

+1 ....congrats! :)