PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies / Knee down

IanTasker
21-04-09, 09:32 AM
Thought i'd open up this debate (probably gonna be more like a can of worms). Wondering what you guys think of these being done on the road (not necessarily a busy one). I personally voted cool and if done in the appropriate places/times don't see a problem with it.

steveo
21-04-09, 10:16 AM
if i could do then it would be cool

Uber Dave
21-04-09, 10:34 AM
Knees down on public roads is no different to cornering normally really, but you are going slightly quicker and are lent over further. So I have no issues with this.

As for wheelies though, I am not sure, I have seen it done before and wasn't impressed, just gives the none bikers the impression we are all like that and makes our reputation as bikers even worse.

westcountryninja
21-04-09, 10:49 AM
you missed out ice cold! 8-) both are awsome! i can do both so i would say that. But most people i know that put it down and think it's silly cant do it... say's something really...lol :D

Trist
21-04-09, 10:55 AM
Certainly not cool from a plods point of view ::) ;D

I think it's cool so far as it requires skill (though wheelies require more of it) and looks good. It's the bikers that attempt it dangerously and can't control wheelies or go to all lengths to try for kd when they don't really have enough speed, then it's not so cool.

Wheelies and kd are cool [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
21-04-09, 11:02 AM
Sorry I am one of those bikers that think both whhels should stay on the grond and such antics around round abouts shouldnt be done, we get a bad enough rap with the public as it is without us making it worse for ourselves.....

But hey thats why we are all different.

ONFIRE
21-04-09, 11:03 AM
Not to forget Stoppies at the lights (on track of course) gotta admit I am quite a talent at them. Did one in front of my work colleague this morning on private property, don't think he was too impressed as he said he thought I was about to head butt him :o ;D ;D 8-)

Oh voted cool 8-)

westcountryninja
21-04-09, 11:31 AM
Stoppies are all good, but do tend to go throw pad quite quickly. There are so many cool things to be done on a bike... lets not forget standing wheelies and rolling burnouts.

I agree with igbell thou, us bikers do get a bad rep, but thats all the more reason not to get caught...lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

IanTasker
21-04-09, 11:41 AM
Knees down on public roads is no different to cornering normally really, but you are going slightly quicker and are lent over further. So I have no issues with this.

I was under the impression that 'hanging off' while getting your knee down reduced lean angle? I thought that was the whole point in it.

karl636
21-04-09, 12:11 PM
all cool just dont get caught, do your home work and find good roads with not many people or motors round.

Iceman
21-04-09, 12:59 PM
..won't comment as it's so subjective! Safe riding! [smiley=happy.gif]

igbell
21-04-09, 01:16 PM
All I can say, is how come bike cops and top level instructors and old timers can ride there bikes without the need to hang off and yet still keep up with youngsters doing mach one hanging off?? so is it really needed on the public road, I say not. But then again I am at that stage in life where I still have things to live for and also have a young one that I dont want growing up without a father, so I will ride within my limits and ride to what I can, if you guys want to do the things you do carry on, but dont expect me to be impressed....... ;)

ONFIRE
21-04-09, 01:20 PM
..won't comment as it's so subjective! Safe riding! [smiley=happy.gif]

;D ;D ;D :o

8-)

Hannah
21-04-09, 01:35 PM
Sorry folks but I voted uncool, I have to say I cant do either of these but have experienced a wheelie on the back of a bike and have to say there was no need for it. I think if you are on a road then its possibly dangerous to do unless there are no cars around and if thats the case what the point in doing it if no one can see.

However if in the right places i.e not on a main road then it's cool. It takes skill to be able to do both and would love to watch on a track or somewhere like that. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
21-04-09, 02:24 PM
Knees down and stopies are great and look good to, wheelies are good but only in the right areas i would say, but, if your good enough to do them, and it impresses me then keep doing it i say!!! lol

hotdog
21-04-09, 03:00 PM
I think they're cool when performed someone who really knows what they're doing in a totally safe place (in other words on your own) and make you look like complete knob when you really have no idea either how to do them or in the wrong place (with other road users)... and, as we all have to start somewhere, that's a lot of knobs :D

I do though want to correct one very common misunderstanding that's already been mentioned in this thread...

Getting your knee down has nothing whatsoever to do with leaning your bike over further. The whole purpose and objective is to actually lean it less. It's all to do with transfer of weight to the inside of your turning circle. The fact you get your knee down is a result of hanging off the bike, not just the angle the bike is leant at. In fact you could often lean it much further without your knee in the way lol. If you've been trying to get your knee down without transferring your weight (shifting your whole body sideways) at the same time, then you're doing it wrong lol

The reason a well trained motorcycle copper can out ride absolutely anyone getting their knee down round corners is because the copper takes the fastest line for the public roads and has to brake far less.

Anyway, I didn't vote, even though I think they're cool when done appropriately because there really isn't anywhere on the public roads where it's either appropriate or provides an advantage.

Regards,

igbell
21-04-09, 04:20 PM
Thats what I was saying Burger, why do you need to get your knee down when you can ride just as fast and look better by riding like the cops and instructors??

Also I have a mate who is 78 and still rides the old bikes with square wall tyres and yet can still out pace most peeps on new bikes, going to show that all the antics that people do and try and do is not always needed, its just to pose and I say there is no need....

But like I said before that is my opionion and you are each allowed your own...

Just ride safe and stop putting your bikes into walls and cars so my wife doesnt have to keep going out scrape you off of the floor....

Hunar
21-04-09, 05:58 PM
time and a place for it, and when it's done at the right time and place then its REALLY cool.

Scotty
21-04-09, 07:17 PM
Wheelies - they are big, and they are clever 8-) have to be at the right time and place though, and done with a modicum of ability!
Knee-down? I don't bother on the road personally, keep it to the track :)

schwee
21-04-09, 08:03 PM
Save the knee down for the track. You'd get kicked off for wheelying though.

I don't have a problem with either being done as long as it's out of the public eye and in safe conditions.

Nobody says knee down makes you go quicker. It's a fact that it slows you down. But it does look cool. I used to practice on quiet industrial estate roundabouts.

ollie
21-04-09, 09:04 PM
i voted cool only for the knee downs. if they are done propaley on a nice bend then yes. as for wheelies the do nothing for me only if i celebrate a race win (on track) but thats it. stoppies are alright if you are around a few mates and you try and act cool around them but thats it

Dabz
22-04-09, 08:46 AM
interesting that we're on 85% of votes saying 'cool' so far! I totally agree with the comments above - right time and place for everything. I think that the ability to do stoppies, wheelies, knee down etc shows (well, CAN show if done properly) a good control of the bike

bladep102
22-04-09, 08:21 PM
i vote that it shows more bike control than the average but the press and institutions program people that its bad .It is a bit like the car driving and lack of control so they lower speed limits.What we need is a system like finland where you have to be able to control a car ,power slides etc as part of your test meaning you have to learn to control the car not steer by numbers like in this country

jonnydangerous
27-04-09, 12:57 PM
wheelies! ................nawty! not to be condoned at all....ahem! , all offenders should be spanked hard by Sandra Bullock ;)

ONFIRE
27-04-09, 01:02 PM
So who's the Retarded Voter ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D