PDA

View Full Version : Watchdog tonight

Honda_Star
27-04-09, 07:31 PM
ANyone watching it? About some guy who has had to retake his test as DVLA messed up spectacularly!

BB
27-04-09, 07:52 PM
Just caught it - unbelievable :o
I've always made sure I've kept copies of anything I've sent to DVLA and when I've got my licence back I've always checked it is correct.

BB

ONFIRE
27-04-09, 08:43 PM
Think said it before somewhere...Yep was advised back in 2001 to make copies in which I did 8-) Probably some E1 CS not understanding the job or how to do it or put in the wrong post ::)

igbell
28-04-09, 10:18 AM
made sure I copied my driving docs before sending them away to get updated.

Ducatista
28-04-09, 10:39 AM
Lurkalot just got his licence back a few days ago and it was all ok.
But he did make sure he got certified copies made beforehand.

The problem is that if they mess up they accept no reponsibility so any costs or consequencial losses are your own and some people need it for their livelihood.
I didn't watch the program, but I've even heard of police class 1 riders losing their entitlement and even if 20 police officers says you've been riding for 20 years that's not good enough. You need written proof.

Disgraceful.

Uber Dave
28-04-09, 11:15 AM
The problem is that if they mess up they accept no reponsibility so any costs or consequencial losses are your own and some people need it for their livelihood.
I didn't watch the program, but I've even heard of police class 1 riders losing their entitlement and even if 20 police officers says you've been riding for 20 years that's not good enough. You need written proof.

That was in MCN the other week, the guy had a written letter from his boss, and the people who can authorise the use of police vehicles saying he had passed etc, but the DVLA said without a certificate which he got when he passed or some other docs (I forget which now) that he would have to redo his test. Glad I kept my car and bike certificate now!

What I don't understand is how a company who keeps a massive database such as the one they have do not have daily backups of the thing, and archives stashed away somewhere, surly they could just pull an archive of a year ago and look this guy up to see what the deal is?

Iceman
28-04-09, 11:54 AM
I've kept my pass certificates regardless. After reading this I'm glad I did!

Ducatista
28-04-09, 12:21 PM

I think you have to send it off these days and I don't think you get it back.
I'm sure I don't have anything from the 80's and I'm pretty good at keeping important docs.

spudgun
28-04-09, 12:23 PM
my licence needs renewing this year, i dont have any copies of certificates (it was approx 14 years ago), so how do i get evidence before i send it away?

igbell
28-04-09, 12:32 PM
You could photocopy the what you have now and get somebody officail to sign the copy and say that this is legite then you might have a leg to stand on

hotdog
28-04-09, 01:29 PM
my licence needs renewing this year, i dont have any copies of certificates (it was approx 14 years ago), so how do i get evidence before i send it away?

You take photocopies of both the paper and plastic bits and then get a solicitor to stamp them as true and accurate copies. That's the most sure fire way I know and it's what a friend did recently with his.

Regards,

Ducatista
28-04-09, 02:26 PM
I think some people who work in banks and financial advisors can also do certified copies.
We used to have a neighbour who was a financial advisor, so if you know any who works in those jobs then they will probably be prepared to bring their stamp home and do it for you.

If you don't know anybody, then I'd take it to your bank along with photo id and ask if they will do it for you.

pilninggas
28-04-09, 05:21 PM

That was in MCN the other week, the guy had a written letter from his boss, and the people who can authorise the use of police vehicles saying he had passed etc, but the DVLA said without a certificate which he got when he passed or some other docs (I forget which now) that he would have to redo his test. Glad I kept my car and bike certificate now!

What I don't understand is how a company who keeps a massive database such as the one they have do not have daily backups of the thing, and archives stashed away somewhere, surly they could just pull an archive of a year ago and look this guy up to see what the deal is?

what i don't understand is this problem has been going on for a few years, when are these idiots going to start becoming accountable? If i lost data like this where i work, i would be deep in the brown stuff. The government need to look very carefully at this quango/agency and start making heads roll (nu-labor cronyism?)as this should have been sorted out a very long time ago. Surely all they have to is scan your license on arrival at their 'offices' before any processing occurs so that all existing entitlements are evidenced, why should any of us have to do this, when we pay a premium for license administration?

jj
28-04-09, 05:31 PM
copies can only be signed by solicitor who is not friend or family,best bet is to say u lost the original then if there is a problem u can luckily find original.....

FJ_Biker
28-04-09, 08:18 PM
This country makes my blood boil it can’t look after our documentation but they can spend 2 billion on spying on us in the name of terrorism

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8020039.stm

Today more info on emerges on phorm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8021661.stm

I’m stopping now as I am going off topic

Iceman
01-05-09, 11:13 AM

I think you have to send it off these days and I don't think you get it back.
I'm sure I don't have anything from the 80's and I'm pretty good at keeping important docs.

I was a given a copy to keep for myself in addition to the one the examiner sent off so safe there!