PDA

View Full Version : Broke down on the m42

Uber Dave
02-05-09, 05:15 PM
Well, quite funny looking back at last night, so though I would post it. I managed to get to finish work at 3pm yesterday afternoon so I could do the 250 miles back to my parents for the bank holiday from Bath to York.

I got onto the M42 and the traffic as usual was slow to the point of hardly moving at all, so as any normal biker would do I started filtering. I must have done about 3 miles between the middle lane and the fast lane when the gap closed up and I stopped behind a car and waited to carry on. Only I managed to stall the bike and then when I hit the starter motor to fire it back up all I got was a ticking instead of the turn over of the engine. Never good, so I pushed the bike quickly to the central reservation.

After rining my Dad at work to decide what to do, I called the police out who arrived in about 10 minutes and stopped the entire road and helped me push my bike to the hard shoulder, made sure I had the RAC on the way and then went off to nick people for speeding no doubt.

The RAC turned up eventually and got me on my way. Turns out my battery had just died, and for some reason was not holding its charge. He checked the alternator and voltages for me, and all was well. Got a new battery this afternoon and all is well today thankfully.

On the plus side though I have to say I am proud to be a biker, when not 2 seconds after coming of the phone to the police and guy on a pan am pulled over on the fast lane to make sure I was ok, and then most of the bikes who went past and saw me in the hard shoulder gave me a thumbs up to see if I needed help. Only one person, a nice woman in a car asked if I was fine when the traffic was crawling past me on the road.

What a great start to the weekend ey!

BB
02-05-09, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the bike trouble, must have been an interesting few minutes for you there sat on the central reserve! ;D

BB

Sue_Boyce
02-05-09, 06:47 PM
Bubbly Biggles broke down last week when we were out for a ride right opposite Lime Kiln in Wootton Bassett. We were stranded on the side of the road in a bus stop and probably 6 police vehicles went by and just looked!!
A lovely bloke on a Kwacker stopped to see if we were ok. Funnily enough he was out on a test ride from GW's and BB had only picked her bike up from there an hour earlier!
Eventually a man from GW turned up with a van to help BB, but not after we had been harassed by 30 4 year olds in the nursery next door and been hooted at by various lorries.
Just shows us biker people are the friendliest in the world!!!

BB
02-05-09, 06:51 PM
BB? I don't recall breaking down? :D

BB

igbell
02-05-09, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that sir...

IanTasker
03-05-09, 09:52 AM
Mate atleast your ok and it was nothing expensive

crewy
03-05-09, 11:43 AM
Glad your ok and got things sorted

igbell
03-05-09, 08:41 PM
Just thinking about it, as it is a Honda you own do you know if the Reg/Rec is ok, as I know that the VFR and the CBR have a issue with the Reg/Rec's I have been through 2 on the VFR already.

Uber Dave
04-05-09, 03:26 PM
Its a possability, but how would I go about checking to see if the Reg/Rec was at fault. I have had the new battery in for two days now and it seems ok.

Iceman
05-05-09, 12:39 PM
It's a good Idea to have roadside recovery especialy If you plan on rideouts and distance work! I joined the AA and now got peace o mind! ;)

igbell
05-05-09, 02:07 PM
Now this is the million dolar question....
I had a garage check mine out and they said it was fine only for me to go out and it blow another batt.
But this time when the RAC came to pick me up the gent put a tester on the Batt cables and this told him that the Reg/Rec was gone.

Then I found on another website about VFR's that you can put a tester on the Batt and if the charge is not inbetween like say 13 and 14 then the batts not charging properly.

Uber Dave
05-05-09, 05:29 PM
Now this is the million dolar question....
I had a garage check mine out and they said it was fine only for me to go out and it blow another batt.
But this time when the RAC came to pick me up the gent put a tester on the Batt cables and this told him that the Reg/Rec was gone.

Then I found on another website about VFR's that you can put a tester on the Batt and if the charge is not inbetween like say 13 and 14 then the batts not charging properly.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, In which case the RAC guy that came to me did exactly that, after jumping the engine off from his van and I had the engine running he checked the charge and it was sat at ever so slightly over 14 with no head lights on and mid 13 with the lights on. So his conclusion was that it was the battery which was dead and the Alternator etc (Reg/Rec) was fine.

Seems to be the case as I just rode back on the thing today and had no problems at all, and I stopped three time.

igbell
06-05-09, 10:03 AM
Thats good then, I just didnt want you going through umpteen Batts before you came to the conclusion that the reg/rec was the fault.
Also another tell tail sign the reg/rec is going is the smell of your batt smelling like stale eggs