PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Test

SleepingDraco
29-04-09, 07:14 AM
Morning everyone.....Ive got my bike test later on today.
Really worried now after reading about that guy who broke his arm!!!!
arrrgggg i wonder if the examiners are open to bribes??!! ;D

crewy
29-04-09, 07:29 AM
ha ha, worth a try!!

Forget about the others and good luck with yours [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Let us know what happens

igbell
29-04-09, 09:49 AM
Good luck and dont worry, it will all be fine, just go with the flow and dont worry about it cos that makes it worse.

Dabz
29-04-09, 10:22 AM
good luck! glad I dont have to take the new test :/

Iceman
29-04-09, 10:49 AM
..and best wishes from me as well! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SleepingDraco
29-04-09, 02:57 PM
Not a happy bunny, failed test. :'(
Damn examiner wouldnt take the £50.00 quid i tried to slide him either!!!!! hehehe! :D

oh well will have to try again....

crewy
29-04-09, 03:01 PM
Oh dear, very sorry to hear that, hope you didn't managed to hurt your self at the test too??

mikesouthby
29-04-09, 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear that.

What feedback, if any, did they give you?

igbell
29-04-09, 03:46 PM
What did they say that you needed to polish up on?? can we give a hand??

Uber Dave
29-04-09, 05:34 PM
Sorry to hear you didnt pass. Hopefully they gave you some decent tips on what to polish up on next time though!

steveo
29-04-09, 06:08 PM
sorry to hear that mate, better luck next time, good luck.

any idea's anyone, i been thinking 2day about that new test can we not send a letter to like local mp's or anything to get it taken out of the test or something, i know its a long shot but just an idea

SleepingDraco
29-04-09, 06:13 PM
two things i messed up on.... i forgot to do a right lifesaver when i did my U-turn, which to be fair was me having a moment!!!! I can understand why they failed me for that.

The other thing was that you have to drive through a speed trap doing 50km (32mph) and then swerve round some cones. I didnt go fast enough, speed trap registered me doing 48km (31mph)!!!!!!! Feckin ridiculous! >:(

Ryan
29-04-09, 06:17 PM
That is ****ing stupid it really is, was talking to our local examiner when i done mine las year he said its going to cause an uproar and it sounds like its doing that already, sorry that you dident pass anyway

BB
29-04-09, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear you failed, get yourself booked back in as soon as possible. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

igbell
30-04-09, 09:35 AM
As BB says get it booked up straight away so you dont forget things and you still have it all in your head, even the odd thing you did wrong.

ONFIRE
30-04-09, 09:43 AM
Its about time the test was a little more challenging! 8-)

SleepingDraco
30-04-09, 10:00 AM
i have re booked today. Will see what happens next time.
:-?

Iceman
30-04-09, 12:15 PM
hard luck on the bike test! :(

nomis17
30-04-09, 02:32 PM
i have re booked today. Will see what happens next time.
:-?
Good Luck with your next test, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] just relax, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] you have done it once already so it wont all be so new and scary, also what you failed on wasn't bad at all so with a little concentration you will fly through ;D ....it is worth the effort :D GOOD LUCK :D

Iceman
01-05-09, 10:37 AM

I wish the car test was also made a lot more challenging complete with CBTs' as well!

igbell
01-05-09, 03:17 PM
I agree Iceman

xl1000va6
01-05-09, 06:07 PM
The whole thing's a piss take. Road safety my arse, there have been at least 12 crashes in the first four days of the new test - all on the avoidance manoeuvre.

Test didn't need to be any more challenging, what should have happened is the introduction of mandatory post test training for all road users. Most road users seem to think that holding a licence is a right rather than a privelege and think that they can just switch off as soon as they have passed their test. At the risk of sounding like a boring old fart (I'm not, really) driving/riding should be about constantly updating your skills and knowledge, not just carrying on regardless. It really pisses me off when I get experienced drivers coming for training and I have to teach them what should be fairly basic roadcraft.

CBT is currently undergoing it's 4th (I think) review and will probably be updated in 2010, hopefully with the inclusion of a requirement for theory test.

No point writing to your MP, as the DSA is THE world's most arrogant organisation, who firmly believe that people are crashing (and being seriously hurt) through either their own fault, or the fault of their instructor.

If the new test wasn't enough to put some people off learning to ride, then the negative publicity about it certainly will.

The HSE are allegedly now getting involved, so anyone wishing to do a test should do so sooner rather than later as I can see HSE suspending all testing pending a full enquiry.

Finally, I apologise for hijacking this topic, good luck with your next test, speed requirement is pants :o)

ro
01-05-09, 06:45 PM
I wish the car test was also made a lot more challenging complete with CBTs' as well!

Quite right! Does the car test involve the hazard perception thing now? I hope some of the hazards depicted are bikes.

I think there should be periodic refresher tests too---say every 10 years when you have to renew the photocard. It's so easy to get in to bad habits.

bobf279
01-05-09, 07:22 PM
My son went to Bristol today and passed with no faults but he did say it was scary having to redline a 125 in second gear just to reach the required speed through the trap. He managed it though first time hitting 54 kph on the swerve and 56 kph on the emergency stop.

I must admit I was worried while he was away doing it after he high sided on the school's bike at 35 mph while practising the ES in the morning, but he was well looked after by Mark Able.

BB
02-05-09, 11:50 AM
Good to hear that Bobf279 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] well done to him.

BB

bobf279
02-05-09, 08:48 PM
A petition has been started to have the swerve test removed from module 1 if you want to sign up it is here;

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/stopswerve/

igbell
02-05-09, 08:51 PM
Signed

ONFIRE
02-05-09, 08:52 PM
Not Signed as am in favour of the new test [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

GaryMc
02-05-09, 10:27 PM
Signed. New test is a complete farse!! >:(

crewy
03-05-09, 11:51 AM
Good luck with your re booked test, dont forget to let us know as soon as you pass!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ONFIRE
03-05-09, 07:33 PM

OfF topic...thought subject was New Bike Test.
8-)

Iceman
05-05-09, 12:16 PM

8-)

well it's all relevant mate! Why do bikers get a harder deal regards the test while car drivers who cause a lot of road problems have a pathetic simple test?? Get my point? When I did my bike practical last year 2 of the "car" examiners complained about the "easy" car test and the lack of any CBT requirement for them!

alanTDM
06-05-09, 11:05 AM
two things i messed up on.... i forgot to do a right lifesaver when i did my U-turn, which to be fair was me having a moment!!!! I can understand why they failed me for that.

The other thing was that you have to drive through a speed trap doing 50km (32mph) and then swerve round some cones. I didnt go fast enough, speed trap registered me doing 48km (31mph)!!!!!!! Feckin ridiculous! >:(
What happens if you go faster then eg.35mph do they still fail you for breaking speed limit!

ONFIRE
06-05-09, 11:11 PM

8-)

well it's all relevant mate! Why do bikers get a harder deal regards the test while car drivers who cause a lot of road problems have a pathetic simple test?? Get my point? When I did my bike practical last year 2 of the "car" examiners complained about the "easy" car test and the lack of any CBT requirement for them!

For simple reason one needs more technical ability & skill to ride a motorcycle. The motorcycle test used to be just a ride around the block & stop! The test needs be far more challenging to allow for increased volume of Idiot motorist, not just car drivers :o
8-)

Iceman
09-05-09, 11:09 AM
Personaly,I found the bike test far too easy.I did no DAS other than some personal manouvering practice,bought my CBR600 and applied for the test myself. Obviously I have driven for many years so had a lot of road sense but for newcomers to the road in any form I really believe that a lot more practical stuff is introduced and more theory on high speed riding/driving and possible dangers one may encounter. Of course this is just my view and one may wish to disagree? Safe riding!
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Azrall
10-05-09, 08:42 PM
I think the test is a farce as it has just been applied to motorbikes, cars should suffer this "penalty" also. Though reading MCN this week, apparently the DSA want to scrap all the test centres and make 65 "Super" centres. Which would mean doing one part of the test in one town, then riding/driving to another town do to another section O_O

bizarre. has seriously got me thinking if it's worth me doing mine in the summer now.

Scotty
10-05-09, 11:05 PM
bizarre. has seriously got me thinking if it's worth me doing mine in the summer now.
In that case, their fiendish plan is bearing fruit... ::) A simple way to reduce bike-related casualty numbers without having to go to the trouble of actually addressing one of the major causes and educating car drivers properly (and punishing them appropriately when they kill one of us) is to reduce the numbers of riders on the road, ergo the pro rata casualty figures reduce and the spineless f*ckweasels at the DoT can pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves on reducing bike-related casualties.
And the easiest way to reduce the number of bikers, without actually appearing to do so? Make it so hard to become a biker that it puts people off bothering... Nil Illegitimi carborundum - don't let the bastards grind you down! Riding a bike is the best way to wave two fingers at the establishment, don't give up! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

steveo
11-05-09, 12:32 PM
well fu''king said scotty [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Azrall
11-05-09, 01:44 PM
Riding a bike is the best way to wave two fingers at the establishment, don't give up! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

I am inclined to agree with what you said. Thanks for that =]

ONFIRE
11-05-09, 06:34 PM
Not forgetting the Kock's on motorcycle's that need to learn how to ride.

Yesterday afternoon (16:15) I was out with a m8 on the Aldbourne to Hungerford rd first couple miles several bikes heading toward us stuck behind few cars in wider section of the road plenty of visibility, and one of them an Idiot on a Ducati decided to overtake on my side of the road leaving me no choice to take immediate action avoiding an head on collision.

Iceman
12-05-09, 10:17 AM
Not forgetting the Kock's on motorcycle's that need to learn how to ride.

Yesterday afternoon (16:15) I was out with a m8 on the Aldbourne to Hungerford rd first couple miles several bikes heading toward us stuck behind few cars in wider section of the road plenty of visibility, and one of them an Idiot on a Ducati decided to overtake on my side of the road leaving me no choice to take immediate action avoiding an head on collision.

I agree there is a few out there that need to scratch up on there abilities.I went on bike safe last year,learnt the correct approach and exits on corners,and for good reason.I too have had a few"riders" coming around a corner clearly on my side of the white line and was glad I took the "track"suggested by the police! " For beginners new here that advice is,on right handers keep to the left side of your lane and vice versa on left handers!Gives you the widest view into the corner and safest exit. Of course this is not the same as the "racing line" but then again we're not on track with nothing coming the other way.For those not been on the "bikesafe" course I recommend it to "newbies" and even some seasoned riders.The police riders are also a friendly bunch and the whole day is free and informative! Safe riding to all! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nicko600
14-05-09, 06:38 PM
sorry to hear that mate, better luck next time, good luck.

any idea's anyone, i been thinking 2day about that new test can we not send a letter to like local mp's or anything to get it taken out of the test or something, i know its a long shot but just an idea

Maybe time to join a riders rights organisation then, MAG, BMF etc the guys out there fighting at governmental level for our freedoms as motorcyclists.

lurkalot
26-05-09, 07:11 PM
Found these links on Mermaid Bikers:

"Fears that motocycle swerve test could kill"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8067672.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8067212.stm

Anyone recognize the guy in the first link ;D

ro
27-05-09, 01:40 AM
There was also a good item about this on "Today" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8067000/8067626.stm#emp_8067718) on Radio 4 this morning.

H
27-05-09, 07:35 AM
Great isn't it, the 'swerve' is done above our basic speed limit of 30mph, just to appease the europeans..!!! WHY. Why was 30mph not good enough???
We really are a bonkers country when it comes to legislation...
Sorry you failed, Second time, easy peasy
H

ONFIRE
27-05-09, 10:23 AM
If you can not show you're competent at swerving at 30mph there's no hope for you speeds up to 70mph you may well need to put it into practise one day. :-?

Perhaps this is down to the training schools who should concentrate more on this manoeuvre in a controlled environment so when it comes to the test the candidate is suitably trained for the event :-/

Just like braking one slow emergency stop is not good enough! Maybe more higher speed brake training will save the candidate learning the hard way ::)