PDA

View Full Version : My weekend travels :D

Dabz
28-05-09, 11:25 AM
As some of you may know my g/f goes to Uni up in Stoke-On-Trent so I tend to travel up there quite a lot, usually in the car on the boring M4-M5-M6 journey. Seeing as it's going to be a nice weekend this weekend I've decided to go on the bike and take a slightly more scenic route...up early on Sat morning (leaving home about 7 so hopefully some nice clear roads) and back Sunday afternoon.

Would welcome any comments or suggestions on these routes...I'm sticking to the Motorway through Birmingham just so I bypass Birmingham nice and quickly

Home to Stoke: (quite a lot of motorway so I get there faster)
Up to Bath M$ junction, straight over and follow A46 towards Cheltenham
Onto M5 at J11a, follow M5 then M6 through Birminham
Off M6 at Stafford, follow A34 then A500 to Stoke

Stoke to Home:
A500 then onto A34 towards Stafford
Onto M6 at J14, then follow M6/M5 through Birmingham
Off M5 at J7, follow A44 towards Evesham
Follow A44 past Evesham and then right onto A429 at Moreton-In-Marsh
Pick up A429 towards Cirencester then down to Chippenham and A350 back to Trowbridge

The way up is slightly less important..I've deliberately put in some big motorway miles because I need to be there as early as poss, but hoping to leave Stoke Sunday about 1pm and spend the rest of the day stopping off wherever looks a nice place for a photo :P

Davey
28-05-09, 11:30 AM
On sunday we should be in Stratford at 1ish and will be coming back that route if you wanted to tag along

igbell
28-05-09, 12:01 PM
Dabz, have you thought about hitting the Fosse Way??
It is a great road for bikers as we can see where to over take easier than cars so I find it great to pass the trucks that slow cars down, it is also a versy direct route up to the area you are going and then you dont have to sit on the Motorways.
You could pick it up and then head to Nuneaton and then across to Tamworth and then up to Stoke, and the same the way back.

FJ_Biker
28-05-09, 12:06 PM
Thumbs up for the fosse way

Dabz
28-05-09, 01:15 PM
hmm time to grab the map and look at the fosse way then! thanks guys :D Stu - I'd love to have some company but I think 1pm is a bit early for me, I may not be leaving Stoke until 1.30ish :(

igbell
28-05-09, 02:54 PM
Ah Dabz, you have never ridden the Fosse Way, oh that is a dozzy of a road, if any of you havent ridden it get out one day and just ride it, I promise you you will love it. I even love driving it as long as I am in a car that goes, sometimes I have been in a work car or a hire car and it can be borring as you cant over take......

R2D2
28-05-09, 03:18 PM
I do Birmingham to Marlborough most fridays, then back to Worcestershire most Sunday nights.

Personally I'd go Marlb - Swindon - Highworth - Burford - Stow-on-the-Wold - Evesham - Worcester (just 'cause that's the route I usually take), then pick up the A449 from Worcester towards Wolverhampton and keep going North from there.

Never tried it though, so don't kill me if it's awful!

BB
28-05-09, 09:59 PM
Fosse Way gets my vote! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

igbell
28-05-09, 10:35 PM
See what did I tell ya Dabz ;)

crewy
29-05-09, 10:55 AM
Fosse way gets my vote too!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
29-05-09, 10:23 PM
Course he may yet be going in the car - if his battery doesn't play tomorrow morning! Accumates Rule! :D

BB

KP
30-05-09, 09:42 PM
fosse way is brilliant on the bike ;)

Dabz
31-05-09, 06:09 PM
Had a great weekend of riding...and only 'did a Hunar' once hehe...headed for Evesham with the idea of stopping off at Stow on the Wold and a few other places I've been before...hang on, that did that sign just say Birmingham 30 miles? Nah can't have....oh that one said Birmingham 20 miles...

so ended up doing a very scenic but annoying 35 mins circle, ending up exactly where I started when I headed for Evesham! No idea how but found some lovely roads all the same :P

Davey
31-05-09, 07:30 PM
We was blatting around that area too - but heading oxford way instead of Cirencester as Trist missed the turning lol

Trist
31-05-09, 07:51 PM
We was blatting around that area too - but heading oxford way instead of Cirencester as Trist missed the turning lol
lol we had another chance but you missed a turning too when you went onto the A419 instead of Ciren, it's not just me :D

Still we were out thats all that matters

Davey
31-05-09, 08:17 PM
lol we had another chance but you missed a turning too when you went onto the A419 instead of Ciren, it's not just me :D

Still we were out thats all that matters

I mean't to do that as time was pushing on so decided to take the shorter route through cricklade purton lydiard etc

igbell
01-06-09, 09:17 AM
So Dabz did you do the Fosse Way??

Dabz
01-06-09, 10:06 AM
No I didn't..only because on the way up I was worried about the battery so wanted to do the journey with a few stops as possible, and on the way home got hopelessly lost and ended up on random roads :P

BB
01-06-09, 10:55 PM
So did the battery last the weekend? Do you have a new one on order?

BB

Dabz
02-06-09, 09:43 AM
it lasted and still seems to be lasting...so haven't ordered one yet! If it decides to die again I'll nip along to Phoenix and grab one I think :P