PDA

View Full Version : ScottOiller

igbell
22-10-09, 03:50 PM
http://www.mandp.co.uk/clearance/productinfo/513400/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-lubricators/Scottoiler?utm_source=email&utm_medium=221009&utm_ campaign=221009

Cheap ScottOillers

Geordie Stu
22-10-09, 04:43 PM
I have heard about these.
Are they any good?
Easy to fit?
::)

Roll_on
22-10-09, 06:18 PM
That looks a good deal. They are fairly easy to fit and do work well. I have had them fitted to a number of bikes and if set up properly take all the hassle and worry out of chain oiling.

FJ_Biker
22-10-09, 07:52 PM
These are a good bit of kit, but the tend to block up a bit. I have now given up using mine and just put chainsaw oil to the chain a few times a week. It’s a lot cheaper than Scott oil

darrenatthesally
22-10-09, 09:00 PM
i like the scott oiler works well and no hassel oiling the chain

igbell
26-10-09, 11:03 AM
I love mine and have done on the last what 4 bikes, they are great to be hassle free and just fill up and go.
Now fitting I have not done I have always had them fitted for me.

Dabz
26-10-09, 07:00 PM
have had one on every bike I've owned..it appeals to my laziness so I dont have to remember to lube the chain :P

bobf279
26-10-09, 11:04 PM
Have ordered 2 one for me and 1 for my son Rob, good value at that price, must be a new one coming out soon, I see they already have an electronic one as well as this vacuum type.

Ducatista
27-10-09, 09:16 AM
Well there are some negative points as well.

The fitting on my Ducati was a real pig.
The dealer install melted (pipe too close the exhaust) and sitcky pads fell off inside a week.
I got my money back and Lurklalot fitted it but it was a difficult install.

We both have splatters on our jackets, splatters on the bike and oil on the garage floor.
This is both bikes so not peculiar to one model.
I'm careful to wipe up the oil on the floor so we don't slip on it when moving the bikes.

If you don't have th touring kit (which won't go on my bike) then yhou have to refill the 50ml size quite often.

With all the hassle I've had, I'm not sure I'd get one in future although they do have their good points like keeping the chain in good order. But I'm not sure the cost and hassle of saving oiling & chain & sprockets, is justified by the expense of the oiler and the oil given that you have to refill regularly anyway.
If you forget to refill then you have to purge it so that's more work, so I'm not a big fan.

HensonA
27-10-09, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that Lisa.....thought it all sounded a bit too good!!.
When I read that it is glued or attached to the swing arm I thought this may not be a reliable fix and frequent refilling the unit with the lubricant isn't appealing either.

I'll keep manually lubing the chain!!

Ducatista
27-10-09, 11:20 AM
Well my initial install was absolutely awful considering a dealer did it.

I asked for the touring kit, but it's not recommended for my bike because the rear is too light. Lot's of people were fascinated by the rear wobble on my bike :o
I know I asked them to put it on but a dealer should not fit it if it's not receommended - they are the professional, not me.

They also moved the number plate to get the touring kit behind the nuimber plate. This meant the light was behind the number plate which is probably illegal.

The sticky pads they used to make it look nice fell off in 7-10 days.

The cable melted in the first week where it went too close to the exhaust. I thought there was a funny smell but didn't notice it fully until I stopped to black smoke pouring out everywhere.
Luckily the cable was quarterized both ends where it had melted so there was no mess.

I got the £90 back they charged me for fitting (Ducati Coventry).

So if anyone is going to get one fitted, then get it done by someone who's done it before and knows what they are doing.

igbell
27-10-09, 03:08 PM
Thats strange as mine has zip ties holding the oil unit under the seat and then the pipe goes down from there to the chain and is held on with a metal bracket, no sticky pads in sight.

My last bike had the touring kit behind the rear number plate and this was fine also, the light had to be moved but that was not a biggy, I must say it has saved me spending out lots on chains and sprockets, also the normal one does not need a fill that often, like the Reclaim North Wales run, I made sure it was full before I went and when I came back I still had just over half a tank. It does depend on what setting you have the oil dripping out at, and if it is raining you should make it drip quicker than when it is sunny and hot. ;)

Dabz
27-10-09, 03:12 PM
Not sure you can blame the installation on the product? I installed all of mine myself and have never had any of these issues (on 3 different bikes).

The 50ml tank should be enough for about a few hundred miles - after all you don't need it pouring out onto the chain - I top mine up every couple of months and if it runs out then it's just a case of refilling and checking for air bubbles

Ducatista
27-10-09, 03:55 PM
Not sure you can blame the installation on the product?

I agree.
I was just advising folks to get someone that knows what they're doing to fit it.

Dabz
27-10-09, 04:16 PM
What I found helpful is that the scottoiler website has pdf installation guides for most models of bike that you can download! I wasn't expecting my model of bike to be on there but it was really helpful :D

finbar
28-10-09, 01:24 AM
Just like to say I run a Scotoiler too. If the fitter takes their time and does a good job you will hardly notice that a Scotoiler is fitted.

I don't have issues with oil splatter. If you over oil or have too thin an oil grade in the Scotoiler this can happen, there are two grades THICK for summer or worn/faster flowing units and THIN for winter use or slow flowing units. As Scotoilers are mass produced there is variation in them but also the siting has a influance ie the higher the unit is in relation to the outlet the faster the flow as you have a greater 'head' of fluid (accelleration of the fluid due to gravity is greater). Hope that makes sense. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif][smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Finally the rate I used oil is minute I had 1/2 litre of genuine Scot oil which lasted 1 1/2 years which would be 18,000 miles so it is cheap. You can use saw oil too (as already mentioned) if you wish it is £11 for 4 litres

HensonA
28-10-09, 01:53 AM
Sean....the Scottoiler on opening the link in the initial post on this thread by Igbell looks like some syringe type tube fitted (glued or whatever) to the swing arm which doesn't look very good.

At the Sally some weeks you explained that you had part of your scotoiler system under your GSXR's seat ???? so is your Scottoiler an electronic version rather that this mechanical one in the above referred to link??

If I knew a version could be fitted to my bike then I would be interested but I have little technical knowledge in terms of fitting items to bikes!!!

:-?

igbell
28-10-09, 12:30 PM
XJ Ade
I have the vacum version on my VFR, it has the reservoir under the seat that has the link from the engine coming to it and then the oil pipe going down to the chain.
This is the same version that I posted at the start of this post.

HensonA
28-10-09, 02:31 PM
Thanks igbell ....I'm not up to speed on all this technology !!!

Adrian

finbar
28-10-09, 06:20 PM
Hi Ade,

Mine is the standard vacuum version mentioned in the link.

I have fitted them to various bikes the only issue is having space under the seat boot or between the seat unit panels and the seat subframe (like on my bike) I showed you the Scotoiler fitted to my bike. As long as the back end of your bike is not much smaller than my bikes then we are ok.

I am more than happy to fit one for you and for a really tidy install I would budget for 1 1/2 hours work as a panel or two might have to come off.

As I said before I love the things, sad but it gives me a buzz when it rains and at the next stop I turn the oiler up and get home with a fully cleaned and oiled chain...no pissing around with a can of chain lube! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

coopmick
05-11-09, 02:48 PM
Hi Ade,

I am more than happy to fit one for you and for a really tidy install I would budget for 1 1/2 hours work as a panel or two might have to come off.

As I said before I love the things, sad but it gives me a buzz when it rains and at the next stop I turn the oiler up and get home with a fully cleaned and oiled chain...no pissing around with a can of chain lube! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

So how much dose our mobile mechanic charge for this service???????????? :-?

Roll_on
05-11-09, 04:11 PM
The oiler units can always be fitted behind the number plate as on my Triumph.

finbar
05-11-09, 07:24 PM
Well I charge £15 p/hr so 1.5 hrs are £22.50. Fitted at my place in Calne, if you are miles away then a travelling charge will be incured.

But as I suggest a better unit for Ades application, which was approximately £20 CHEAPER and where he might find cheaper Scotoilers (he did the digging on my advice) my fitting charge was mostly negated...good aye!! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Ed_Parkins
05-11-09, 09:56 PM
For what it's worth, I had one fitted to my FJ for years and it was brilliant. When the Scottoil that comes with it is used, you always have the option, as has been mentioned, to use chainsaw oil.

A neat feature that the FJ owners club sells is a delivery tube which has near the end a very small, thin bracket clamped around the tube. This is designed to be held in place by one of the bolts which secure the sprocket cover to the crankcase. This enables the oil to be delivered to the gearbox sprocket rather than the one on the rear wheel. The advantage I found is that whatever oil gets thrown off (not much if the flow rate is adjusted correctly) doesn't go onto the back wheel and there is no unsightly piping trailing down the swing arm. Will see if I can get a photo if anyone is interested.

Ed

Roll_on
05-11-09, 11:18 PM
yes I would be interested in a photo of the set-up you mention.