PDA

View Full Version : Need Tyre Advice!

dazlow
17-02-10, 06:18 PM
My 07 ninja has Battlax BT015R's fitted both front and back as standard. The rear needs changing and I can get hold of a rear Battlax BT014R on the cheap. Might sound stupid but can you fit a different rear to what you have fitted at the front? Will it make any difference? I think the 015 replaced the 014 anyway?????
A guy at the tyre place got me thinking because he said they have to have the same compound rating? The tyres on my bike are "J" but I have no idea about the 014?
Any advice would be grateful. :-/

slowr1der
17-02-10, 06:38 PM
go for the BT016 as a replacement rather than an 014.

I can vouch for the 016 easily good enough for trackdays and road riding and they have the same tread pattern as the 015 so will match ur front.

Personally I wouldn't mix 014 and 015 as I didn't rate the 014 to be that good.

What kind of rider are you, fast road, trackday, commuter??

dazlow
17-02-10, 06:53 PM
I'm a fair weather road rider. I don't do track days and only use my bike as a toy in the nice weather days.
I've purchased the 014 as the auction was ending on Ebay. Got it for a good price my only concern is if I need to buy a front to go with it???? Or can I stick it on with the 015 front that's on there as there is still plenty of tread on the front.
I would of gone for the 016's if I wasn't getting the 014 rear for half the normal price.

ollie
17-02-10, 08:42 PM
your not supposed to mix differant treads/tyres with each other as the tyres are supposed to work together and heat up the same. mixing differant treads won't effect it to much but its advisory not to.

Jon_W
18-02-10, 09:37 AM
I mixed Bridgestone 010 and 020 tyres for years with no problems. It will probably make little difference to you.

slowr1der
18-02-10, 10:22 AM
well most people would say don't don't do it but I know a few that mix tyres with no issues.

If you are not really riding the bike in any anger then I think you would be fine Tbh. The 014 wasn't a bad tyre in any case and it was the out of the showroom tyre for many sportsbikes.

dazlow
18-02-10, 10:27 AM
Cheers for all the advice. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

slowr1der
18-02-10, 11:21 AM
out of interest how old is the tyre? There will be a date on the tyre wall and I think they have a 7 year lifespan

ZZR600Dude
18-02-10, 03:19 PM
I would stick with the Bridgestones whichever model you go for.
I changed my Bridgestone battle axes for Pirelli Diablo Stradas. The Bridgestones were far better tyres.

:)

dazlow
18-02-10, 11:03 PM
Have had a good look and can't see no date stamp? Tyre is bran spankers and looks good to me? ::) What's the worse that could happen? :-/

Scotty
19-02-10, 12:11 AM
If it's too old it won't grip as well as it should - you don't know where it might have been stored these past years... The date stamp is actually moulded into the sidewall in a rectangular window and would say something like 2605 which means the tyre was made in week 26, 2005

Ultimately it's your call...

wiltshire builders
19-02-10, 03:12 PM
Have had a good look and can't see no date stamp? Tyre is bran spankers and looks good to me? ::) What's the worse that could happen? :-/

Let us know when you find out.

dazlow
19-02-10, 04:04 PM
Still can't see any date stamp and the tyre was stored in a garage. I will be careful for the first few miles when I get it fitted. Thanks for the advice and concern.

slowr1der
19-02-10, 05:36 PM
jesus no date stamp!

That would have been the 1st thing I would have asked the seller.

What's the worst that could happen? Well lets just hope nothing happens and u did get urself a bargain and not saved urself 50 quid in the short run but ultimately ur bike/health in the long run

slowr1der
19-02-10, 05:40 PM
oh as for the date stamp all modern tyres have them and as said made up of 4 digits as posted but not necessarily in a triangle.

If you cannot find them then I would suggest they have been rubbed off/doctored because they were old and the seller didn't want u to see that.