PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a paddock stand I can borrow?

b_m1957
06-04-10, 10:48 AM
Picked up my new bike from Bristol yesterday

Then had a blow-out on the motorway on the way home :(

I limped off the motorway to the nearest safe place to stop (happened to be a petrol station/garage) before I realised what had actually happened. Scariest thing in my life; as it got worse it just felt like there was a permanent oil slick under my back wheel about half a foot wide. Didn't have a clue what it was til I stopped!

So now I need to get the wheel off and to somewhere that can fit a new tyre. Anyone got a paddock stand I can borrow? :) Or alternatively, anyone know a cheap(ish) call out service or somewhere I can get a paddck stand for not too much?

It's a Thundercat by the way ;D

Ducatista
06-04-10, 10:56 AM
Where is your bike now?

b_m1957
06-04-10, 11:13 AM
Where is your bike now?

Yeah, that info would be quite handy wouldn't it!!!

The bike is at my 'in-laws' near Fairford (10 min North of Swindon), my fiancee's father has a trailer and is very kind-natured (it was a ~2hr round trip for him!).

I live in Swindon and work in Shrivenham.

Ducatista
06-04-10, 11:54 AM
Have you got crash bungs on your rear wheel?
I have a rear paddock stand but it's the type that cups the crash bungs.
I'm in Chippenham but you're welcome to borrow it if it's the right type.
It adjusts with an allen key.
There might be someone nearer you that's more conveninent.

b_m1957
06-04-10, 11:58 AM
Have you got crash bungs on your rear wheel?
I have a rear paddock stand but it's the type that cups the crash bungs.
I'm in Chippenham but you're welcome to borrow it if it's the right type.
It adjusts with an allen key.
There might be someone nearer you that's more conveninent.

Thanks Duc but no crash bungs. I should probably think about getting some - after riding a 400 for 6 months it's a shock going back to a heavy 600! Better get plenty of riding in to get used to it methinks ;D

bobf279
06-04-10, 08:56 PM
I have paddock stands but I'm miles away in Westbury, sorry

b_m1957
06-04-10, 09:17 PM
I have paddock stands but I'm miles away in Westbury, sorry

Thanks anyway!

I now think I have a decent used tyre from the Thundercat forum, just need to work out how to get it fitted.

R1chie
09-04-10, 09:23 PM
If you still need one, I've got a spare paddock stand (with cups) I can lend you.

b_m1957
09-04-10, 10:10 PM
If you still need one, I've got a spare paddock stand (with cups) I can lend you.

Thanks Rich but I think I may be sorted now.

alanTDM
11-04-10, 09:56 AM
I use to have a Thundercat still got the Haynes manual you can have it if you want.
I done 28k on mine in 2 years with no problems at all, only if you still got it next early winter start putting fuel additive in with the petrol they do suffer from iced carbs because of the ram air in front of the bike.

b_m1957
11-04-10, 12:54 PM
I use to have a Thundercat still got the Haynes manual you can have it if you want.
I done 28k on mine in 2 years with no problems at all, only if you still got it next early winter start putting fuel additive in with the petrol they do suffer from iced carbs because of the ram air in front of the bike.
Cheers Alan, that would be much appreciated. I committed a cardinal sin and bought the bike with nothing but an MOT and a receipt and a promise to send the logbook when he got it, so don't have any paperwork. Haynes manual would be a start! I'll get myself on another ride-out to meet up.

I know, I know, I was stupid! Fingers crossed I don't get my fingers burnt... I know I probably deserve to :( The guy seemed pretty genuine and paid a decent price for my car in the same deal, so I'm hopeful!

alanTDM
11-04-10, 07:52 PM
I havn't managed a ride out yet :'( due to having things to get sorted on weekends so i can never say deffo to one , but i do keep tabs on where everyone is going for rides just in case i can make it at the last moment.
I use to be on the Thundercat web site when it was part of the MSN Groups back in 2004 dont know if the same bunch moved to another site though, probably did.
send a PM if your over this way Chippenham etc to lettuce know then ill drop it off.