PDA

View Full Version : Pot Holes

Honda_Star
04-03-10, 10:23 PM
This subject again....!

Something you peeps might be interested in....in this month's edition of Motorcycle Sport & Leisure, they are interested in bringing local authorities to account and have asked for photos of any dangerous pot holes that are around. Please email your pics to tcarter@mortons.co.uk and they will see what the councils have to say for themselves!

(presuming its safe to stop and take a pic!)

HensonA
05-03-10, 12:09 AM
I was driving the car on some Buckinghamshire roads earlier this week and the roads in that county are an absolute disgrace.
More like craters than pot holes and lethal to bikers, especially if riding in evening when dark.
Pity I didn't have a camera with me.

The roads in England are shocking and the worst they have been for years.

igbell
19-03-10, 09:38 AM
yes they are and so why do we pay road tax??

Uber Dave
19-03-10, 12:48 PM

Didnt you know there is a recession on, and they still have to pay all those lovely expenses to the MPs........ the money has to come from somewhere!

ZZR600Dude
19-03-10, 01:35 PM

Didnt you know there is a recession on, and they still have to pay all those lovely expenses to the MPs........ the money has to come from somewhere!
maybe we should let the MPs claim Range Rovers on expenses so they dont shake up their champagne too much and would help them ride over the pot holes.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
23-03-10, 05:09 PM
Is it me. But I can't see any difference in the roads some main roads have had pot holes filled but the B roads of which some are pretty busy with heavy goods, I.E. the B3109 near the Nestle factory is a complete mess. >:(

Morticia
28-03-10, 08:41 AM
Steve hit one with the cbr and he had to tighten the handlebars cos they went loose after!!!

Jacde
30-03-10, 04:42 PM
A cyclist was killed when he swerved to avoid a pothole in Tidworth and was hit by a lorry.
Won't comment on why he wasn't aware of the lorry or why he only became aware of the pothole at the last minute, but even so he was still a road user like us all and if the council took proactive measures maybe a family wouldn't be in mourning.
This is Wiltshire Council's quote, I think it's shocking!

"Any recommendations made by the coroner at a subsequent inquest concerning the highway will, of course, be given serious consideration by Wiltshire Council."

The council have apperantly filled in the pothole, (closing the stable door and all that!!!)

igbell
30-03-10, 04:45 PM
Thats shocking, still it is the council so what more do we expect??

Bennett
30-03-10, 04:48 PM
I ride to school every weekday and up near my school there is literally hundreds of them, I sit and think, If I was un-aware or on a road bike without great suspension I could easily die.

This is disgusting, and they pull us over to "Check" I actually have me 50cc license.

VERY Angry.

bubblylittleme
30-03-10, 06:05 PM
Worst bit of road I've been on recently on my bike was the Rowde to Devizes stretch. Had to find a safe areas at about 5 miles an hour to get along it...

BB
01-04-10, 07:04 PM
I think there are so many pot holes the council doesn't knows where to start! :-/

BB

Morticia
05-04-10, 06:11 PM
There's about 6 on my 3 mile ride to work. On the plus side, one got fixed, yipeeeee!

igbell
06-04-10, 03:19 PM
Well Ciren Council seam to be on the case, as I went out on a job this morning and went down this road with loads of holes, then a couple of hours latter went to go down the same road and it was closed to men fixing the road...

bobf279
06-04-10, 08:55 PM
I've seen some potholes that look more like craters, quite deep and on busy roads too >:(

Nokesy
07-04-10, 09:38 AM
Salisbury seems to be quite well looked after - they closed Wilton Rd completely for 1 night and re-did the whole road. Also have done Fisherton Street which really was horrendous in a car, let alone on a bike.

It really does put me off riding at night as hitting some of the ones around defo means an off or at least jarred shoulders / neck etc.. >:(

Ducatista
07-04-10, 11:56 AM
Sadly I have a damaged front wheel which is probably pothole damage although the extremely light wheels on the Ducati don't help.
I will be getting my 3rd loan bike tomorrow from Riders.
I'm hoping for a 1098 but it'll proabbly be another Harley.

finbar
07-04-10, 12:51 PM
I never took you for an 'easy rider' Ducatista. :-X

I Dented a rear on my gxrs 1000 (like you I don't know when) and did a service on another K6 and it had one mother of a flat in the rear rim. Guy was shocked when I showed him, as the bike was super clean. Lots of the sporty bikes froms Ducs to all the jap stuff have really light wheels fitted, super strong for the weight but they cant do the sudden hit (definition of toughness=sudden loading) one gets with the ridge on a pothole. Hate to think what a carbon wheel would do with such an impact!

Modern roadster bikes wheels are way stronger and mid 90's sports bike wheels are also stronger therefore tougher, as they are that are much heavier. An example of the lightening of modern wheels is between the k3-k5 gsxr 1000 .5kg was lost on the combined weight of the wheels...that is a shed load from light wheels to start with! :-/

Agree with Nokesey now...I never worried about riding at night but for the next few months till they sort out the worst potholes I will keep a wide eye out for them. >:(

CBRowner
07-04-10, 05:36 PM
I have to deal with hundreds, from Westbury to Lyneham, on my ride to work. I even had to ring up the council because I damaged a nerve in my neck when I hit a 'crater' in Calne, but thankfully I was driving at the time otherwise my bike would be in China!!!

The council informed me that due to the recent snow in the region, their resources have been stretched to the limit and that they were unable to repair all the pot holes.

If you want an example of just how bad Wiltshire Council are, go to College road in Trowbridge and check it out, I think NASA are planning to train for the moon down that road!! :D

Scotty
07-04-10, 10:49 PM
For repairs to damaged wheels, contact Dave East at the following address:

Dave East Engineering Ltd.
The Old Dairy, George Street,
LEICESTER, LE19 4NQ

Tel: 0116 284 8296

Dave's a top bloke and if a wheel is salvageable, he'll save it - racing season's only just beginning so hopefully he won't be too busy yet, might take him a week to turn it round, depending on his workload, but it's worth it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] He's straightened a couple for me, and done a few for Phase One too... 8-)

Geordie Stu
08-04-10, 08:50 AM
Reading in this weeks MCN. I know a few people on here don't care for the views of MCN, but thats another story.

They have been reporting on various councils & a reader in Lincolnshire reported a damaged road in his area. A spokeman for the council said
"They are surface irregularities" This is where th surface layer has cracked & worn away. ::)

Lorraine
08-04-10, 04:02 PM
If you want an example of just how bad Wiltshire Council are, go to College road in Trowbridge and check it out, I think NASA are planning to train for the moon down that road!! :D

V1per n I live in College Road n they have filled in some of the pot holes but its still bad here lol

CBRowner
08-04-10, 06:36 PM

V1per n I live in College Road n they have filled in some of the pot holes but its still bad here lol

It was horrific after the snow, I even hated driving down there because of the damage it's probably doing to my alloys plus the speed bumps and random people parking at the Co-op make it a road I try to avoid if possible but I have to take the missus to College there.

I feel for the residents of that street, it must be a nightmare for you all :(

AlanMc
14-04-10, 08:32 AM

As of 08:00 this morning College Rd will no longer look like the moon

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
14-04-10, 10:47 AM
Better late than never. I'll put somthing about the roads I use through Melksham, Calne and Lyneham in an attempt to get them to repair those aswell [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Maverick
14-04-10, 01:52 PM
There is a really bad pothole on the chippingham M4 roundabout. I hit it at about 50mph and almost lost the front. It's just before you turn off for the RAF Lyneham turning. >:(

The councils lost £1 billion when the Icelandic banks went burst so that's where most of the pothole money has gone!

Let's not forget that at election time!