PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a dyno centre near chippenham?

wiltshire builders
12-04-10, 05:44 PM
I'm getting shocking fuel consumption from the zx10 and need to get this sorted before i hit Brittany.

finbar
12-04-10, 06:05 PM
What do you mean by bad mpg; Before you mess dynos:1) clean (change your air filter) 2 check your plugs and balance your throttle bodies.

Bloked air filters are real killers of MPG. (ignore service schedules on this one, as they always start to clog before stated)

I can help with any of the above, but I do charge...so you might want to play/break it yourself [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Scotty
12-04-10, 09:16 PM
Like Finbar says, change the air filter - I changed mine recently and the old one was absolutely minging. That alone won't give you poor fuel economy, how are you riding it, low gears and heaps of revs? :-? On the recent Roxy run to Portland I averaged 43mpg, not going stupid fast, but not really hanging around either in places 8-)

finbar
12-04-10, 10:09 PM
Scotty is the expert on this model....on my gixxer mad thrapping~34mpg :D, quick but smooth~38mpg ;D and driven like a car 49mpg :'(

I have calibrated my speedo so it reads spot-on, trouble is most standard Jap bikes over read by ~ 8% (therefore add 8% to my figures quoted). Bit anal about mpg...very good indiction of when I need to service my bike i.e. mpg drops off. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Used to be able to get Piper-Cross filters at good money if you need I will check, washable, oe Triumph fitment and UK made [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
13-04-10, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I've got a K&N and cleaned and oiled it but it wasn't that bad. I'm looking at around 22mpg so think it may be a bit more serious. I would rather pay an expert to diagnose the problem straight away than spend time i don't have on a bike that is hard to work on and i'll probably end up making it worse. I'm thinking a previous owner may have dicked around with it.

finbar
14-04-10, 12:49 AM
Christ that is really bad, sounds like it is super rich to me. When it back fires on the over-run does it take out cars in a fireball? ;D

You got a PC fitted? as I see you have a can/system fitted. The map loaded could be rubbish, but if that was the cause surely the bike would feel 'fluffy' low down under load. Slightly rich is good for pick-up and power but this rich is mad! :-/ Could disconnect or 'zero' the map to see if the bike improves, if so, get a proper 'custom' map done at a dyno. Cost £125 upwards. :'(

Your plan of a 'power check' at a dyno might be best, especially if the chap checks the fueling. Behind M&P and Harleys diner in Dorcester (5 miles South of Oxford) there is a dyno, we could have a group ride out that way and sort that bad boy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
14-04-10, 07:56 AM
There is a dyno at JHS in Keynsham.

Sounds like you got injection problems somewhere. I'd get it plugged into a diagnostic first, check all is in order at the ECU

BB
14-04-10, 08:17 AM
Dyno for a diagnosis sounds to be the 1st option. May cost a few quid but as you say, you could spend days fiddling with it to no avail.

BB

jonnydangerous
15-04-10, 10:41 AM
plug chop ;-) i heard theres a good thread on here.....it might give indication if its one cylinder or all 4 (leaking injector on one cylinder, high fuel delivery pressure to all four).
does it start well) hot and cold? when were the valve clearances due/done?.......
is the FI light on and the bike in a "reversionary mode"?
has it had the gearing changed to very short gearing???...
does your model have a cat?
any problems such as water or oil consumption???...

pilninggas
15-04-10, 10:58 AM
does the zx10 have an oxygen sensor? if it is knackered it might be making the bike run really rich. A dyno would bring that to light, but you can test one with a voltmeter.

btw way i don't rate JHS in keynsham, i was there once and they dropped a customers bike (the last time i went you were also not allowed near your own bike when it was being tested)! There is also a dyno in kingswood (2 miles from keynsham), tim blakemore racing- can't say what he's like but i can't see he could be any worse.

darrenatthesally
15-04-10, 01:11 PM
the garage by castle combe race track

Lexx0r
22-04-10, 12:52 PM
JHS are probably the most reliable and friendly people I have ever met!