PDA

View Full Version : Dark visors

StreetHippo
05-05-10, 11:58 AM
Now that the great ball of fire has started to make regular appearances, my clear visor on my Arai is no good. Is it worth getting a tinted visor? If so, how tinted is practicable/legal? Or just find some shades that will fit inside my lid?
Don't want to go down the Iridium power ranger look, just a darker visor. Thoughts???
Stu 8-)

Nico_babe
05-05-10, 11:59 AM
Hey whats wrong with the power ranger look? LOL LOL :-/ ;D

StreetHippo
05-05-10, 12:03 PM
You can carry it off far better than me!! ;)
Not really my bag is all, blue iridium does look good though :-[
Stu

jonnydangerous
05-05-10, 12:07 PM
i "THINK" the legal situation is 30% tint, altho it will depend on the knowledge of "Plod" who pulls you for having a tinted visor.....not entirely sure ont he accuracy of the numbers tho so might not be much help......

i wear sunglasses under a clear visor, that way theres no need to carry two visors...ive been to loads of bike meets where people have discovered the sun has gone down and they only have their tinted visor.....

some people dont like sunglasses under a helmet tho.......

StreetHippo
05-05-10, 12:12 PM
Yeah - i've got a big melon, so finding glasses that will go under a lid are tricky :-/
Was looking at getting it from racevisors.co.uk and they throw in a visor bag, so I should be able to carry both.
My last lid had a flip down dark visor which was great, bit of a **** lid though :o
Stu

zachl
05-05-10, 12:38 PM
i had an awesome pair of glasses that i bought abroad from a ski resort, but i dropped them this morning and the lens fell out :(

best bet is to take your helmet with you and try them on in store

Geordie Stu
05-05-10, 01:25 PM
I have got a very dark visor not had a problem with plod yet ::)

I wear glasses anyway

Roll_on
05-05-10, 02:19 PM
Despite the fact the plod seem to love stopping my Ducati I have never had any problem with the dark visor on my Ducati helmet infact they have never even wanted to look at it, just the bike.

Uber Dave
05-05-10, 04:24 PM
Road legal ones should have EU markings on to that extent, and none road legal ones will be marked with "Not for Road Use" as far as I know, there was a thread similar to this before.

Copied from the previous thread

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/motorcyclehelmetsvisorsandgo45...

In my case the visor is made by AGV for my helmet and has all the relevant protective markings on it, but crucially does NOT state "Daytime only" so its legal 24 hours a day.

Hope this helps.

Vard66
05-05-10, 05:46 PM
30% was the figure I had in my head, also.

Good to know about Racevisors throwing in a visor bag, I was thinking of getting one anyway.

wiltshire builders
05-05-10, 06:11 PM
Never heard of anyone getting pulled for a visor. If they know their stuff they might "do" you if you've been riding like a tosser but highly un-likely.

Got mine from racevisors.co.uk. Get the darkest one arai do then, like you said, carry both. Don't see the point in a slight tint.

Also handy off the bike too!
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/wiltshirebuilders/June2008045.jpg

Lorraine
05-05-10, 08:31 PM
Never heard of anyone getting pulled for a visor. If they know their stuff they might "do" you if you've been riding like a tosser but highly un-likely.

Got mine from racevisors.co.uk. Get the darkest one arai do then, like you said, carry both. Don't see the point in a slight tint.

Also handy off the bike too!
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/wiltshirebuilders/June2008045.jpg

love the photo ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
05-05-10, 09:40 PM
Having trained a few local traffic cops, and quizzed them about dark visors, I can tell you they're not interested, unless you're stupid enough to wear one at night. Carry a clear one with you and you're unlikely to get nicked.

The problem with sunglasses is you are wearing glass just in front of your eye. Unless they are safety glasses, they're bloody dangerous in an accident.

Legal tinted visors are next to useless.

Scotty
05-05-10, 10:55 PM
An easy way to carry a spare visor if you don't have or want to carry a bag - slide it into a sports sock or similar (the sleep socks you get on planes are pretty handy) and stick it under your jacket round your ribs - I carried my clear visor like that all the time we were out on Sunday (a good 5 hours) and never noticed it at all, even when sitting down in the pub [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

finbar
05-05-10, 11:47 PM
Ditto...0nly works on slim guys like us though! ;D

Vard66
06-05-10, 01:42 AM
An easy way to carry a spare visor if you don't have or want to carry a bag - slide it into a sports sock or similar (the sleep socks you get on planes are pretty handy) and stick it under your jacket round your ribs - I carried my clear visor like that all the time we were out on Sunday (a good 5 hours) and never noticed it at all, even when sitting down in the pub [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Aye, gotta make sure you do your jacket up proerly at the bottom though - had a mishap with my HJC's original clear visor that way.

I think I might order myself something nice, backpack wise from Kriega, so I might just tack a visor bag onto it.

StreetHippo
06-05-10, 12:41 PM
Cheers for the replies guys (and gals!), at least it has stimulated a bit of debate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Looks like i'll be getting a dark visor then 8-)
Stu

bubblylittleme
06-05-10, 06:22 PM
Dont think it would fit over the boobs lol but great idea

bobf279
06-05-10, 07:59 PM
Having trained a few local traffic cops, and quizzed them about dark visors, I can tell you they're not interested, unless you're stupid enough to wear one at night. Carry a clear one with you and you're unlikely to get nicked.

The problem with sunglasses is you are wearing glass just in front of your eye. Unless they are safety glasses, they're bloody dangerous in an accident.

I have to wear normal glasses for vision correction so I hope I am ok wearing them under my helmet. I also have a drop down sun visor which is pretty good.

Mark_Able
06-05-10, 09:06 PM

I have to wear normal glasses for vision correction so I hope I am ok wearing them under my helmet. I also have a drop down sun visor which is pretty good.

That's unavoidable really Bob! Just keep your visor down at all times. The visor is impact resistant, your glasses aren't. Only takes a stone flicking up... :o

Mark_Able
06-05-10, 09:07 PM
Dont think it would fit over the boobs lol but great idea

Always ready to help.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
06-05-10, 09:31 PM

I've worn specs for years under my helmets. Just need to make sure they are sturdy and fit comfortably. My latest bike set were reactive to sunlight and impact resistant - didn't fare so well being stood on mind but my next pair are on order... ::)

BB

CharleyX
06-05-10, 11:36 PM
Hi I have a UV- Reactive lens which is also fog resistant and it WORK!!! (pinlock)
Its great as you don"t need to change anything as it gets dark.
I like you don't have much room for sunglasses but before I got the Reactive lens I used some Davida glasses. Both the lens and frame are very flexible and have padding around the eyes. Think they were about £25. 8-)