PDA

View Full Version : squeaky rear brake

zachl
05-05-10, 11:13 AM
hey all,

just a bit of advice please.

i have got a squeaky rear brake, only at slow speeds.

the bike only has 6,000 miles so i assume they arent worn,

its a 2007 sv 650,

any advice of what i can do (i'm not very mechanically minded) would be much appreciated, or if anyone knows anyone i can take it to for them the have a look at (cheaply) that would be good too :)

thanks

Jon_W
05-05-10, 11:27 AM
Could be several things. Most likley is a lazy piston causing the pad to rub.

Best thing to do as a starter is fully retract the pistons, try the brake again and see if that cures it.

Other than that, it could be worn pads or a worn/warped disc.

zachl
05-05-10, 11:41 AM
and how do i fully retract the pistons :P

zachl
05-05-10, 11:55 AM
oh and it only squeaks when i apply the brake

wiltshire builders
05-05-10, 06:24 PM
It's not hard but you need the right tools and a bit of time. Check the pads first by shining a torch into the caliper to see how much "meat" is left. To retract the pistons you need to remove the caliper or the back wheel. I always use this time give the wheel and sprocket a good clean.

silly_simon
05-05-10, 06:59 PM
Pop it over here mate and i'll have a look for ya [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Oh and is your bike a metallic blue one per chance :P

zachl
05-05-10, 07:51 PM
cheers mate, and yes, how did you know :)

Mark_Able
05-05-10, 09:34 PM
hey all,

just a bit of advice please.

i have got a squeaky rear brake, only at slow speeds.

the bike only has 6,000 miles so i assume they arent worn,

its a 2007 sv 650,

any advice of what i can do (i'm not very mechanically minded) would be much appreciated, or if anyone knows anyone i can take it to for them the have a look at (cheaply) that would be good too :)

thanks

I've had two Yams where the brake pads were down to metal in 2000 miles. I don't even use the rear a lot. If you do, it would be worth checking. :-?

zachl
05-05-10, 10:07 PM
I do tent to just use the rear a lot for slow driving, plus I have only just got it so don't know the other guys riding style, he might drag the brakes etc

Jon_W
07-05-10, 10:34 AM
Sounds like worn pads.

If the pad isn't worn badly, you can file a lead of chamfer on the leading edge of the pads (the edge that the disc goes into the pads). This should stop the squeal.

Also check that the anti-squeal plates are ther. There should be an odd looking one sided shim betweem the piston and the back of the pad.

I can have a look if you want. PM me if you like.... am in Trow.

Davey
07-05-10, 11:22 AM
Put a load of copper slip on the disc that'll stop it squeeking :D

but seriously ensure the back of the pad has copper slip on it (NOT on the contact side or disc!!) If changing the pads use the old pads as protection and use a large flat head screw driver to get it in - i will clean off with brake cleaner before doing this

Kevinb
07-05-10, 01:30 PM
If you are still having problems you could try Lightning services, Marsh road, Hilperton. Serviced my Bonnie for me (a lot cheaper than Triumph)
As others have said some copper grease on the back of the pads. If you don't want to buy a whole tub if it isn't that then I'm in Trowbridge and have a tub. Either pm me or I'll be in the Black Horse tonight and you can borrow some.
Cheers Kev

zachl
08-05-10, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the offer and advice people, not gonna have time today to sort anything out, perhaps tomorrow.

I will pm whoever whenever lol