PDA

View Full Version : Bound to happen sometime.....

R1chie
11-05-10, 08:03 PM
....and today it did.

I got my first ever puncture on any bike I've owned :o

God only knows how I avoided this pain in the ass for all these years but it caught up with me today.

Left home this morning for work and immediately the bike felt 'heavy' when turning. Just put it down to cold tyres and the like.

But it didn't get any better, pulled over to check on the Marlborough road but nothing was obvious to the Mk I eyeball so I just cracked on. Got to work and gave it another look and the tyre was clearly deflated and it seems it was a rogue nail in the middle of the rear tyre was the culprit.

Gave me some crazy moments on the ride to work anyway, which is a little bit of an understatement ;D

Got a new tyre fitted at Micheldever and found I could corner again....which is nice :)

Right...as you were ;D

Dabz
11-05-10, 08:33 PM
rubbish :(

jimmer
11-05-10, 10:17 PM
Picked up a brand new Hornet a few years ago,rode it home went to take it out the next day big nail in the rear,nearly cried and it was sunday so couldnt get a new tyre. :'(

Vard66
11-05-10, 10:27 PM
Fun, isn't it?

I found a 2" wood screw in my 1200 odd mile BT-92R a few weeks ago, taking it to be repaired either tomorrow or Thursday.

>:(

Last Train
11-05-10, 10:31 PM
Kin cheers....

bobf279
11-05-10, 10:42 PM
right pain when the phantom nail strikes, I had to replace an almost new Avon Storm cos I couldn't get one repaired, I have now invested in puncture safe (same thing as ultraseal)

Roll_on
11-05-10, 11:23 PM
Be thankful it was not the front tyre.

hotdog
12-05-10, 12:46 AM
Oh, that's not good... I've never had one either... hm, blast, never some wood around when you need it.

Morticia
12-05-10, 07:38 AM
Luckily, it's never happened to me. Then again, I'm so used to ride non working bikes that I probably wouldn't notice...Not quite sure what a rideable bike feels like...

BB
12-05-10, 07:40 AM
Not good. Hope you do better than me & Ghost - we had 4 between us inside a couple of months! Still kept the tyre dealer in profit ;D

BB

wiltshire builders
12-05-10, 01:35 PM
Had one on my first road bike 1 week after picking it up. Didn't have the contacts that i do now and had to fork out £145 for a Dunlop D207! Being a builder ive developed a sixth sense for spotting nails and screws because I encounter some real thoughtless gits on jobs and at the merchants e.g. dropping a box of screws, picking most of them up then thinking sod it that'll do. I've even stopped in the road to clear them up after i've swerved round them. That way i've got a clear(ish) conscience for the rest of the day. ;)

pilninggas
13-05-10, 06:11 PM
Had one on my first road bike 1 week after picking it up. Didn't have the contacts that i do now and had to fork out £145 for a Dunlop D207! Being a builder ive developed a sixth sense for spotting nails and screws because I encounter some real thoughtless gits on jobs and at the merchants e.g. dropping a box of screws, picking most of them up then thinking sod it that'll do. I've even stopped in the road to clear them up after i've swerved round them. That way i've got a clear(ish) conscience for the rest of the day. ;)
building merchants and places like b&q are murder for that, lazy blokes opening open the side door of a transit and a load of debris falling out onto the ground. always a few screws and nails in that mix.

Ryan
13-05-10, 06:26 PM
ive not had one yet, touch wood ;D

jonnydangerous
14-05-10, 12:03 PM
I carry a repair kit, available on a certain internet site...it consists of glue, "String" and the tools to poke it through your tyre....

its got me out of trouble, and replacement strings are available...

good kit for minimum outlay....

Kevinb
14-05-10, 12:47 PM
I carry a repair kit, available on a certain internet site...it consists of glue, "String" and the tools to poke it through your tyre....

its got me out of trouble, and replacement strings are available...

good kit for minimum outlay....

So do I it is called an RAC card. ;D
I've had a bolt in the rear tyre on the 1200 Trophy. Served me right for following my friend who likes to go across the cross hatching (where all the cr*p ends up) on the road.

t1pper
14-05-10, 07:33 PM
Hi, never had a flatie on a bike thankfully, after reading this I may treat myself to a bit of roadside rescue cover. But had a few blow outs on trucks 120 PSI and 40+ tonne of truck they go off like a bomb. Dont who had the biggest laundry problem last time, me or white van man who was following about a foot behind me, bet he wont follow as close next time lol
:o

BB
17-05-10, 02:31 PM
Hi, never had a flatie on a bike thankfully, after reading this I may treat myself to a bit of roadside rescue cover. But had a few blow outs on trucks 120 PSI and 40+ tonne of truck they go off like a bomb. Dont who had the biggest laundry problem last time, me or white van man who was following about a foot behind me, bet he wont follow as close next time lol
:o

lol I know what you mean - I was on the motorway following another car and as we passed a truck his tyre went off! I thought the car alongside him at the time was going to jump the crash barrier!! ;D ;D

BB