PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Good & Bad

Gerry
10-05-10, 02:12 PM
Recently sold a Frank Thomas leather jacket on Ebay, it was hardly used cost over £100.
I set the start price for £50, it sold for... £50.00 !
Not happy, but at least the guy who bought got a real bargain and was well chuffed.

But... have just bought a Dainese Two Piece leather jacket on there and I received this morning.
It's exacly as I wanted, got a "used look" about it, which is great as hate looking just out of the shop.
Fits my mildly amusing shape and cost £62.00 ;D

Scroll down... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320525163167&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not sure how good Dianese are, but it's a name I've seen about and cost (discounted new £279.00) and I love the Tribal stuff on it.
One well chuffed Gerry here

So Ebay - bad for selling (but better than shoving stuff in the loft) but can be [s]good great for buying !

PS: and it's got yellow bits on it which feeds my strange banana fetish :o

jonnydangerous
10-05-10, 02:14 PM
Bargain! :)

Robf
10-05-10, 02:39 PM
only ever sold a bike on ebay (got more than i payed for it), tend to buy alot of new bike kit off of there though as it tends to be slightly cheaper than the shops although can be close with GW's

great looking leathers there Gerry definatly will go with your bike, and your fetish.

lol

anyway absolute bargain, my leathers cost me £120
£50 jacket from GW's
£50 trousers from GW's
£20 knee sliders from Busters accessories

so i think you got a bargain well done

Nokesy
10-05-10, 03:32 PM
Very nice leathers there Gerry - gonna look good in those! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Stonking price too! :)

I sold my old jacket on e-bay for £77 (starting price £75) but am unable to sell the trousers. Are currently posted for 4th time, now for starting price of £65 - people always watch but don't buy >:(

By the way, fetish's rock - I have one for penguins!! ;D

bubblylittleme
10-05-10, 05:10 PM
I sell loads on ebay...

Put very low starting price ie 99p which gets people bidding and costs you less!
If 2 people bid against each other it usually goes up quick.

If you want a certain amount put a reserve on it so it doesnt sell if bids dont reach that level.. it does cost for puttin on a reserve though. If it doesnt quite reach that but a bid was close you can sent 2nd chance if your happy with the amount..Remember also you will pay commission if they pay by paypal so add that on too.

As regards Buying... decide on your maximum bid and add a penny. Put the bid in and click COMMIT at 15 secs before it finishes!

wiltshire builders
10-05-10, 06:55 PM
Don't know where you got the £279 price from but it's waaaaaaaay off. I remember Dainese tribal leathers coming out and they were nearer the £900 mark. So forget about the money you lost on the Frank Thomas and start feeling sorry for the poor b@stard who sold the Dainese. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
10-05-10, 08:58 PM
I've used ebay quite a bit and it is always the case of win some lose some, but as you've found Gerry there are bargains to be had.

Toph
10-05-10, 09:17 PM
Dainese leathers for 62 quid? I think you got a result there Gerry!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
10-05-10, 09:32 PM
Ok so how about a Cat C insurance write off, on ebay, that has been repaired, is it worth a look?

Kevinb
11-05-10, 08:56 AM
I'vee used e-bay a bit, mainly to buy and haven't had to many problems. One of my Bonnie engine cases ended up going to Australia. All went well. Boxed it up and my wife suggested putting in some Motorcycle monthly magazines so the chap could see what we get up to over here. I took it to the post office and has told it would cost £70 to send. :o Took it home cut down the box, left out packaging and magazines and ended up paying £20.

Morticia
11-05-10, 10:30 AM
I don't think much of my dainese, but then again I ride every day so they need replacing quicker than summer only riding. That is a real bargain though! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
12-05-10, 07:48 AM
Was pleased with my Dainese kit & think you got a bargain.

I buy & sell a bit on ebay & it's swings & roundabouts. You can relist the same thing several times and no one buys and then you stick it on again and away it goes for good money! Just happens to be if what yr selling is what someone is looking for at the time.

They also do free listing days which is always worth a go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

CBRowner
12-05-10, 07:05 PM
I find ebay to be the only place that I can get spares for my bike without having to sell vital organs to pay for them.

I have been let down a few times though from sellers guessing the year of certain parts which is why I now have indicator lens's, fairing panels, seats and a screen that isn't for my model of bike >:(

I did manage to get a 2 piece race leather set off there for about £50 but the girlfriends didn't so I flogged them at a car booty for 3 times what I paid on ebay :D

jimmer
16-05-10, 07:43 PM
Got my zx9r off ebay,was lucky there are alot off less than honest people with there desciptions,normally say oh i forgot to mention this as soon as you turn up.

bobf279
16-05-10, 07:48 PM
I didn't realise that bids on ebay motors are not binding so if you decide to pull out when you turn up to find the vehicle is not what you expected you haven't broken ebay rules

SupeRDel
19-05-10, 06:31 AM
I use the ebay free listing weekends (about once a month).

Pu the item on for the price you want. It costs you nowt. If it don't sell you relist it on the next one.

Its how I am selling all Taylors old Honda stock.

If you use the 99p option and the item is not performing you can remove the sale but it has too be done before it gets inside the last 12 hours... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sometimes one of the watchers will contact you and you can deal outside ebay - No costs and no feedback issues.

I try to use ebay and not let it USE me

The seller don't have to part with anything - have you ever heard of the ebay police visiting anybody... ;D ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
19-05-10, 02:32 PM
I've used ebay alot and only been stung twice. Once on a pair of Adidas Yohji Yamamoto trainers that were fake and once on a pair of corona rep fairings for a gsxr that were f@cked. The trainers i got a refund less postage and the fairings all i got was the finger. With vehicles the buyer has the power. If it's not as described you can walk away.

Roll_on
19-05-10, 03:57 PM
I must say I have always done well buying on ebay.

Geordie Stu
19-05-10, 04:05 PM
Only had 1 bad experience on Ebay bloke had wrong description of item.
Apart from that no [smiley=thumbsup.gif] issues

igbell
19-05-10, 10:06 PM
Oh you dont want to know about my first time on ebay.....
Alright I will tell you, I didnt know how it all worked and I bid on 3 different motorbikes at the same time, then when I worked out what I had done I was hoping somebody was going to out bid me. Thankfully 2 of the bikes were pulled off due to the sellers being dodgy and the last I got out bid on.

When I sold a few mobile phones, I forgot to put a reserve on and in the end sold a couple for a good price and one for £1.