PDA

View Full Version : Share your opinions please !!

Nico_babe
22-05-10, 05:57 PM
Hey everyone,

As you know im going to be upgrading soon from my YZFr125. (Well hopefully). [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
So I need some advice. I have kinda narrowed it down to two contendars.

Honda CBR600RR 2004 or 2005 model
Suzuki GSXR600 2004 or 2005 model

Let me know your thoughts or experiences on either. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Morticia
22-05-10, 06:09 PM
Honey, you know I love my gixxer!!! Bad experience with honda so far...

Nokesy
22-05-10, 06:27 PM
I'm a fan of the Suzuki option! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
22-05-10, 06:44 PM
Honda is more user-friendly. Generally better built as well. Gixer more exciting, and better on a track. :-?

Nico_babe
22-05-10, 07:14 PM
Wish i could have them both !! :-/

speedlink
22-05-10, 07:45 PM
if it was me i would go honda.......

silly_simon
22-05-10, 07:53 PM
Nico-babe
Why not consider the Yamaha R6 of the same vintage ? As you already own a yamaha it would be the obvious first choice if it were me [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nico_babe
22-05-10, 08:11 PM
Nico-babe
Why not consider the Yamaha R6 of the same vintage ? As you already own a yamaha it would be the obvious first choice if it were me [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Yeah i have thought about it, but would like a change really [smiley=happy.gif]

StreetHippo
22-05-10, 08:13 PM
GSXR all the way, always loved 'em [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Stu

Roll_on
23-05-10, 07:14 AM
Both bikes are very good and either would give you lots of fun and reliable biking. Go try both once you have your part 2. Atleast you should sit on both and go for the one that feels right you will know which fits you best.

Davey
23-05-10, 08:17 AM
I'm slightly bias because I've owned too many gsxrs but I do like them hence owning so many. I have owned a couple of cbrs - the FI was sooo uncomfortable inho.

The older R6 would be a good choice as not so extreme riding position as the newer model. also the ZX6r is a cracking bike.

But of your 1st choices I'd go the gsxr route [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
23-05-10, 08:30 AM
Are you limited to just these two choices? ;)

The GSXR 1400 is awesome! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Also fell in love AGAIN yesterday, this time with a Kawasaki Z1000! :-* Orange and white - luvleeeeee! :)

Or you could always get a Buell - trust me, I've sat on LastTrain's and it is a 'wonderful' experience! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Will satisfy many needs! ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
23-05-10, 08:34 AM

The GSXR 1400 is awesome! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Also fell in love AGAIN yesterday, this time with a Kawasaki Z1000! :-* Orange and white - luvleeeeee! :)

Or you could always get a Buell - trust me, I've sat on LastTrain's and it is a 'wonderful' experience! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Will satisfy many needs! ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of these as a 1st bike. No doubt all great bikes I've also had the gsx1400 and 2x Buells and ridden numerous Z-thous (theyre also away from the sports bike theme Nico was looking at)

If you must really satisfy those needs - I've heard the washing machine at spin cycle does the same [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D

Nokesy
23-05-10, 08:38 AM

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of these as a 1st bike. No doubt all great bikes I've also had the gsx1400 and 2x Buells and ridden numerous Z-thous (theyre also away from the sports bike theme Nico was looking at)

If you must really satisfy those needs - I've heard the washing machine at spin cycle does the same [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D

Sadly, I agree, all not suitable 1st bikes but soooooooo much fun! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We were up GW's yesterday - I was asking random people if they were Stu but obviously never found you!

Also toning tables and jacuzzi's work very well too! ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bonnielass
23-05-10, 09:05 AM
My first bike was 650SV, super bike!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dex
23-05-10, 09:42 AM
Nico-babe
Yeah i have thought about it, but would like a change really [smiley=happy.gif]

I can promise you that riding a bike with 10 times the power will definitely be a change...

As a first big bike I'd always pick an SV650 - more character than an inline four, as fast as you'll need for the road and plenty capable on trackdays. They're also a bit of a bargain.

Robf
23-05-10, 10:03 AM
I quitelike sv650's but out of your choices I'd say the honda but then I've only owned hondas.

I would definatly say that you should try them if you can

BB
23-05-10, 12:09 PM
Test ride or at least sit on as many as you can to get a feel of whats out there and then choose [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Honda_Star
23-05-10, 12:10 PM
yep test riding is the way forward...or own 7 bikes in 2 years like i have lol ;D I would highly recommend the SV650.

Davey
23-05-10, 01:12 PM

Sadly, I agree, all not suitable 1st bikes but soooooooo much fun! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We were up GW's yesterday - I was asking random people if they were Stu but obviously never found you!

Also toning tables and jacuzzi's work very well too! ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I was about - din't stop yesterday as was so busy - but I'm not complaining 8-) Easiest way to spiot me is I'm the only sales person with tattoos down the arms and on the neck (no i don't look like the typical salesperson but atleast i don't have the piercings in anymore! :D )

SV is a cracking bike - shame they've stopped the sport version now but have just released a new limited white/ blue half faired for 4999 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

StreetHippo
23-05-10, 02:48 PM
There's a nice black one in the for sale section too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Great engine, you've gotta love a v-twin 8-)

Stu

Morticia
23-05-10, 03:30 PM
Actually, that's right, the best thing you could ever do is a test ride, you will like one more than the other. Even me, (and I'm the biggest bike tart you'll ever meet) I can make up my mind easily that way. I want to take them all home, sure, but one simply feels better than the other.

Mark_Able
23-05-10, 09:27 PM
I'm a bit biased, as the CBR600 I owned covered 58500miles in 3 and 1/2 years, without missing a beat. Was comfortable, fast, easy to ride, good for pillions, and easy enough to do training on without breaking your wrists. When I washed it, still looked new. One of my buddies had the Gixer at the same time, and I can vouch that the CBR was a tad quicker on acceleration, and the Gixer a tad quicker top end. But we're only talking a couple of mile an hour. The CBR fetched better money when trading in. :-/

silly_simon
24-05-10, 07:01 PM
When I washed it, still looked new.

Now be honest Mark how often was that :snigger: ;D

Nico here is one in your neck of the wood's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-YZF-R6-/400112580809?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem5d289178c9

Might be worth having a look at least [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nicko@able
24-05-10, 09:51 PM
hiya,Nico here,ive ridden or owned just aboout every crap bike made by anyone{sp370,wierd honda 2-stroke tiples etc etc}either of these are great bikes.BUT and its a big BUT you must feel comfortable conected and relaxed with it.Have you thought about a Guzzi?Nickothesicko :o

nicko@able
24-05-10, 09:54 PM
PS.not the sp you understand,it was pants.THE gsxr or cbr.my last suzuki did 186,000 before i finaly ran out of big enough hammers to fix her with ;D

jonnydangerous
25-05-10, 08:22 AM
In my opinion (and im normally wrong about most stuff ;-) ), the honda will be the least demanding to ride smoothly, the others are a bit full on... smooth is more fun/safer and what you ultimately want to aim for.
Honda will be as capable except for experts on a track, and better on the road, i used to ride a mates 2004 600rr and it was gorgeous, and will complement your riding style better than the other "Race Bike" 600's.......

and i agree too, resale value would be better for when you move up to a GSXR1000..... ;)

mmmmm honda ;-)

nicko@able
25-05-10, 09:28 AM
I think either the honda for build quality,comfort etc or as some one said a sv 650 if you want to go suzuki.Great drive out of corners{v-twin}nice slick gearbox{wish Yamaha brought the from suzuki}enough power to have fun but not sooo much that every moment is a pantsfilling experience.try them if you can but remember,"A bikes not for life,but it can be for Christmass"lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
25-05-10, 03:36 PM
I've owned both Honda and Suzuki bikes and I'd go Honda for your first step into bigger bikes.

I'm only short and weigh 65kgs wet through and found my GSXR a little too heavy and cumbersome which was made worse when it had a full tank, I've riden the new one and it's the same for that as well.

As for the Honda, they're reliable (except mine but that's sorted now), the engines last a life time, and they're nippy little f'ers for 600's, as I found out when I off loaded someones :D

I do agree with the others though, the best way to find what's right for you is to ride as many as you can [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
25-05-10, 03:45 PM
CBR 600F.

The best all round bike I've ever ridden. Quick, handles well, reliable, easy to ride and even practical.

The only other I'd recomment is the SV. Mine was my first big bike and eight years later I still love riding it and have no intention to sell.

Not as practical as the Honda, but cheaper to buy and sounds a lot better.

The wild card is the Yamaha Thundercat. Grossly underrated and very cheap. Well built and goes well.

Neill
25-05-10, 04:28 PM
My girlfriend went straight from her CBR 125 onto a 04 R6 , she loves it and found the transition from 125 to the R6 very easy as it is a very forgiving bike ( unless you don,t want it to be )

nicko@able
25-05-10, 04:31 PM
yeah,the chundertwat,sorry,thundercat is a very versitile bike.good handling,stonking brakes and a realy,realy nice seat.nicko

Richzx10r
25-05-10, 05:48 PM
Test ride,test ride,test ride.Only way to go.You may be pleasantly or not so pleasantly surprised by your options.

Mark_Able
25-05-10, 08:16 PM
CBR 600F.

The best all round bike I've ever ridden. Quick, handles well, reliable, easy to ride and even practical.

The only other I'd recomment is the SV. Mine was my first big bike and eight years later I still love riding it and have no intention to sell.

The wild card is the Yamaha Thundercat. Grossly underrated and very cheap. Well built and goes well.

Couldn't have said it better meself. The Honda was the best all round bike I've owned, but the Thundercat was more comfortable and a better tourer. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R2D2
25-05-10, 08:33 PM
CBR 600F.

Couldn't have said it better meself. The Honda was the best all round bike I've owned, but the Thundercat was more comfortable and a better tourer. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Can vouch for the Thundercat, mine's a daily rider and is genuinely all-day comfortable yet more than sporty/quick enough for road use. Never ridden a CBR600F so can't comment but have heard pretty much identical remarks.

In comparison, the '08 Yamaha R6 i took for a test ride was immaculately smooth on the open road (as a nearly new at the time bike should be) but was far too snatchy and twitchy in town for me to live with every day.

One thing I would add is that the t'cat is usually a bit cheaper for similar age/condition than the honda but is a bit rarer to find, and therefore not always as easy to find aftermarket bits (cans, accessories, that kinda stuff) because the CBR was so much more common.

Chris!

R2D2
25-05-10, 08:36 PM
oops double post :(

zachl
25-05-10, 10:58 PM
Having started on a 98 model cbr 600 last year i can say it was an amazing bike as a first bike, very very comfy, easy in the bends and has good acceleration. I know have a 2007 sv 650 sport, masively different, I don't find it as comfy due to the engine braking hurting your wrists after a while but it's a very light and very capable,

although if your looking 2005 etc it's the cbr 600 rr your looking at isn't it?

Which looks a LOT more racey and may not be as comfortable