PDA

View Full Version : quiet helmets

Hazel-nut
06-05-10, 09:45 PM
i recently bought an hjc helmet from gw and after going to the sally tonight i am not impressed at a helmet which was meant to be £150 as it is ridiculousy noisy!i have a headache after coming home as the wind noise is that loud! :(

does anybody know which make of helmet is a quiet one?i have been reading alot online and people say that its all to do with the fit and how high you sit on the bike or to wear earplugs but im not a big fan of the earplugs :-/

i have seen some cabergs i like but not sure how noisy they are :-/ i dont wanna keep buying lots of different makes then going on 1 journey and finding they are too loud :-/

rich1988
06-05-10, 09:50 PM
Most helmets I have tried are noisy, I have an AGV airtech and while its not headache inducingly noisy its certainly not quiet you get used to the noise normally, its not an issue for me because I listen to an mp3 player most of the time ;D

BB
06-05-10, 09:56 PM
Cabergs I believe are noisy - If you want to try one Ghost has one which he wore once and has never worn since. What size are you? This one is a medium in grey.

I have an Arai which I find quiet when I'm on the front but suffer with wind noise when I'm pillion. Talk to other pillion riders to see what they say suggest. :-/

BB

Beamer
06-05-10, 10:00 PM
Mine isnt too bad and I havent really noticed whilst riding pillion...its a shoei and i must admit i do like it

;D

mick188
06-05-10, 10:03 PM
Hazel-Nut, you will need to check the dB(A) rating of the helmet if you want a quiet one. The lower the number the better and as a guide I suggest you try and find one in the mid eighties. Personally I like Schuberth which are one of the quietest but unfortunately they are expensive but you get what you pay for. As you already mention the fit is just as important and a good fitting less expensive helmet will be better than an ill fitting expensive one. One more thing - wear ear plugs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
06-05-10, 10:09 PM
Try Schuberth as they're well rated for quietness from customers.

If you want the cheaper option wear ear plugs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
06-05-10, 10:09 PM
I had a HJC and certainlly as pillion I noticed it was noisy, so stuck ear plugs in on long journies.
When I started my CBT I bought a Shoei, lol I've not gone that fast on the bike yet, so no idea if it will be noisy, but I do know it fits me better than the HJC did.

bobf279
06-05-10, 10:15 PM
I can confirm that cabergs are noisy, I have to wear ear plugs for any length of ride to be comfy

igbell
06-05-10, 10:20 PM
My wife used rider pillion and she had a Shoei Raid (that now sits in the cupboard gain dust, just like all her bike kit) and she never had an issue with noise.

CharleyX
06-05-10, 11:03 PM
Hi I have a Shoei and have no issue with noise. Never worn plugs and no wishes to. When i bought my helmet it was fitted by one of the guys in the shop (fowlers in Bristol) found that was so important as i was going to buy a shark two sizes too big!! and I thought it felt good!!
Not 100% sure but i think Shoei is one of the only makes that make the helmets to size they don't just pad them to make different sizes, makes mine xxs very light too. Hope that makes sense and helps. Happy shopping :)

Vard66
07-05-10, 12:19 AM
Tbh, I was quite impressed with the slightly cheaper HJC lids for quietness.

I've been using an FG-14 for quite a while, bought at GW's for about £70 I think it was. Good lid.

Honda_Star
07-05-10, 12:23 AM
My Arai is pretty quiet and v comfy...used to have a Caberg but it was VERY noisy. Have also owned an AGV which wasnt too bad. :)

StreetHippo
07-05-10, 01:09 AM
I'm with Star - had a Caberg which was noisy, Arai is in a different realm of comfort, quiet and (unfortunately) price! >:(
You gets what you pay for [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Stu

charlie
07-05-10, 02:25 PM
I'm an Arai fan, expensive I know, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for. Comfortable, quiet, look good and well tested for safety.

As a glasses wearer, they also have slots for the arms of your glasses too! Yey. :)

Hazel-nut
07-05-10, 02:30 PM
thanks for all the help and tips guys!glad i didnt go and buy the caberg now after hearing what you all have to say about them!hehe!
wil keep you updated on anything i find

ZZR600Dude
07-05-10, 02:52 PM
I have a Shoei raid 2 and its quiet. A small amount of whilstling at high speed but not that you would notice that much.

:)

finbar
07-05-10, 04:01 PM
Shoei's are light, strong and quiet helmets....I seem to recall the Raid 2 is especially quiet. What you need to find are some smaller ear plugs as girls have smaller ear holes...a few of my ex's had the same trouble as you but there are small ear plugs made. Cant recommend using ear plugs enough as it is not much fun damaging your hearing...mine is not very good anymore...please try to find earplugs that fit hun! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

hotdog
07-05-10, 04:25 PM
I have a Shoei Raid II and it's one of the loudest helmets I ever owned. I've tried loads of helmets over the years and I'm telling you, you don't know what a quiet helmet is until you're wearing a Schuberth. ;)

Obviously just my opinion based on my experience.

I find it interesting that someone would claim a Raid II is quiet which perhaps goes some way to proving you need to get the right helmet for your head shape, which might not be the one you like based on looks.

Regards,

StreetHippo
07-05-10, 06:02 PM
+1 with Finbar, get a variety pack of earplugs off ebay and try them all untill you find ones you like, then buy bulk of that model, works out cheap and protects your hearing, once it's gone it's gone!!
Stu 8-)

rick
07-05-10, 07:21 PM
Well I've certainly learned something from this discussion. I have a Caberg for three years and I supposed as it is my first I thought the noise levels were standard. I need to change it this year so will be looking at the advice on here. I dont like ear plugs

bubblylittleme
07-05-10, 11:37 PM
My last helmet was Caberg...very noisy.
Now got a Shoei XR1000 ..alot quieter but get cold face all time from breeze, even when vents closed!
Just bought the chin guard so hoping that its better now but not tried it yet.

Any other suggestions how to stop it...

finbar
08-05-10, 06:23 PM
XR1000 are great helmets, fairly quiet and weigh only 1300-1400 grams. Lots of helmets weight approx 1550 grams.

You are right about the helmet being fairing breezy...only notice in the winter though. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
08-05-10, 08:08 PM
What I need is a quiet flip front helmet, I wear glasses and a flip front is easier, also I work on an army camp so I can open the flip when I get to gate for the security guard

Amanda
08-05-10, 10:31 PM
Hiya

The quiest helmet you can get on the market is the Schuberth and the C3 it a pretty good version, pricey but well worth it.

ALL other helmets will vary with different factors. The main being the type of bike you ride and its screen. Low windscreen direct the turbulence to the base of the lid so a good neck seal can change the noise level by about 8 Db. A higher windscreen will direct the turbulence to the top of the lid and visor. A good visor seal and dynamic lid with help.

Ultimately it is the combination of the bike and the lid. A quiet lid on one bike might not be quiet on another. Although most riding can generate up to 90 Db !!!!!! So ear plugs are a must.

Amanda
08-05-10, 10:36 PM
p.s. Bob - Nolan is a pretty good flip face for glasses wearers as they have grooves for the arms.... think its the N103 but I would have to check in store.

Toph
08-05-10, 10:49 PM
I like the howl my bike makes!!! 8-) earplugs are so uncomfortable, don't you people like to hear the roar of your bike!! :-?

DaveGilmo
09-05-10, 07:37 PM
I own a Caberg ( the open face type - no chin bit) and it was great on the BMW with it's big fairing but it is quite noisey on the new bike but I always ear plugs and a kneck scarf so it isn't all that bad and I like the fit. I used to own a Arai and I paid over 300 quid and that was quit and well fitting on any bike ( so I WILL be getting another one later on this year.

Good hunting [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bikermouse
11-05-10, 08:12 PM
Schuberth for me too! I've had an FM, Shark, Arai, Suomy and there's not one that can match the quietness of the Schuberth. Yes, they are on the pricey side, but I'm prepared to pay the price so I can hear myself think and save my hearing.

R2D2
11-05-10, 08:28 PM
Quite like my Shoei XR1000, not mega quiet but I'm happy without earplugs up to about 75mph. I'd agree with others that the biggest thing is that it fits your head properly, as any gaps around your head will increase the noise.

Shoei also do a "whisper kit" (basically a tighter curtain around the bottom of the lid), haven't tried it yet but plan to.

Dex
14-05-10, 08:40 AM
Quietness lid I've ever owned is my HJC FS-10 carbon.

But that's me, on my bikes, as rider.

Everyone on every bike is different. The Schuberth has the quietest dB rating, but that's a lab test- and in practice its about what works for you .

If you find earplugs uncomfortable there's a good chance you're wearing the wrong ones, or wearing them wrong.

Even with the quietest lid on the market, performing as in It's lab tests, you're still exposing your ears to damaging levels of noise. Hearing loss tends to be permanent, over time the gradual damage to your hearing can't be recovered- so ear plugs are a very good thing, and worth the time to find a pair that fits.

In my experience getting a quiet pillion lid is a nightmare as it depends on the bike, rider's lid, and the pillion lid. It's a lot cheaper to try and find a set of ear plugs than to keep trying different lids!

Geordie Stu
14-05-10, 08:56 AM
I found my AGV to be comfy & quiet now Monster Arai again comfy & quiet. I also do wear plugs due to loud can ;D

Don't you & Dabz have intercom when your Pillion?

Dabz
14-05-10, 10:41 AM
yeh the intercom is the issue, otherwise we'd both wear ear plugs (I wear them when riding alone)

Hazel-nut
14-05-10, 10:42 AM
Don't you & Dabz have intercom when your Pillion?

we do when were on longer rides but not to and from the sally!
with the amount of wind noise i had last week though i wouldnt be able to hear the intercom!

with the ear plugs i wont be able to hear the intercom either so cant wear them all the time either!

im being fussy and akward i know :P

im currently borrowing a helmet from mark as is partner bought all the stuff but no longer wants to go on the back of his bike :P
its a shark which fits perfectly just dont know when im going to get the chance to go out and test it for wind noise :-/

thansk for all the suggestions guys!glad i didnt get the caberg and waste more money :P

Dabz
14-05-10, 10:57 AM
I'm sure we can findtime for a noise test on Sunday :)

Jacde
14-05-10, 01:32 PM
Hazel, you're not being akward or fussy, you only have 1 head so you need a helmet thats comfortable both for fit and noise.
The Shoei I bought recently has now been up to 60 mph !!!!!! ( :o crickey that's fast when you're at the business end of a bike ;D ) happy with the noise level, tho think Tina was saying she gets a cold face and I noticed my neck and face were pretty chilly, do have a neck scarf and will wear it next time I'm back on the 500.

BB
17-05-10, 02:26 PM
I have a selection of Buffs & similar in various thicknesses of materials from fleece to thin which keeps my chin & neck warm [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Morticia
19-05-10, 07:58 AM
i recently bought an hjc helmet from gw and after going to the sally tonight i am not impressed at a helmet which was meant to be £150 as it is ridiculousy noisy!i have a headache after coming home as the wind noise is that loud! :(

does anybody know which make of helmet is a quiet one?i have been reading alot online and people say that its all to do with the fit and how high you sit on the bike or to wear earplugs but im not a big fan of the earplugs :-/#

i have seen some cabergs i like but not sure how noisy they are :-/ i dont wanna keep buying lots of different makes then going on 1 journey and finding they are too loud :-/

Yep, I have one and it's rubbish, I still hear the bike over my music...
And cabergs are pretty bad too.
My first helmet was an agv, fitted perfectly and was very, very quiet, both pillion and rider. Steve just got one himself and swears by it.

Dex
20-05-10, 10:44 AM
No one brand of lid fits everyone perfectly, even the schuberth lids are quiet on their tests in the lab, but different head shapes will give different results on the road.

One thing you can be sure of- no lid is quiet enough to avoid hearing damage. None of them.

If ear plugs make it hard to hear the road, hear the intercom etc that's a shame. Now try hearing loss all the time, when you can't even hear a conversation off the bike...

Try Alpine ear plugs, they have high and low inserts that let you adjust sound attenuation. CG used them and can still hear her music riding around Germany, but without the sore head, ringing ears etc when she finishes a days riding.

One other thing about ear plugs- make sure you're fitting them properly, most people don't.

jimmer
20-05-10, 07:56 PM
Just brought a shark s500 air,off phoenix very quiet even at 150 mph (only joking).Fits a treat and was a bargin ;)

Hazel-nut
24-05-10, 09:27 AM
i have found my helmet ;D
the shark helmet that mar1k leant me is perfect!the only wind noise was because i wasnt wearing my comfy due to the heat and had my jacket open a little so i didnt roast too much!hehe!

looking forward to trying it out with the intercom now :D

thanks mar1k [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Morticia
24-05-10, 09:44 AM
What helmet is it again? I need a new lid, could do with a quiet one...

Blackandchrome
24-05-10, 12:41 PM
I found a really quiet helmet at the weekend and was able to take it for a test ride.
It was a bit tight! >:(

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/Blackandchrome/812171.jpg

Hazel-nut
26-05-10, 05:23 PM
What helmet is it again? I need a new lid, could do with a quiet one...

the one from mark is a shark one!think there is a picture in the thread for bike stuff for sale

Honda_Star
26-05-10, 06:13 PM
Scotty has a brand new Shark lid for sale - still boxed. Its a lovely design in black white and grey I think and is extra small if it would fit?