PDA

View Full Version : Finally passed my test.

rach4444
27-05-10, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone,
Im celebrating passing my test on Monday after it being cancelled 3 times due to the bad weather and then having to wait 6 weeks for a slot once the sun came out, but I did it, and with only one minor fault.

Now I have ventured out on Lilly, my 1995 650 Suzuki Savage (hence the name) it's wonderful to finally be able to make progress in traffic and overtake where possible, unlike on the 125 having to wait in amongst the traffic, and also without 'L' plates which are dangerous in my opinion with regards to the lack of respect you recieve from other road users. I'm enjoying riding much more also because I can now keep up (sort of) with my other half on his VN900.

Anyway, my question is... Now that my speeds are above 50 or so, Im getting a lot of air seeping through the visor on my cheapish helmet resulting in watery eyes. Can anyone tell me if this is because of a cheap helmet and will a shoei/arrai sort it out. Do you get what you pay for? Im happy to spend £300 + but don't want to still be in tears when I arrive anywhere.

Thanks all and go safe.

Rachel

jonnydangerous
27-05-10, 02:38 PM
wooooohoooooo..... :-) congrats !

can the visor be adjusted? the pivots may be held in place with a screw and a small amount of adjustment may be possible to make a better seal....

rach4444
27-05-10, 02:50 PM
Thanks Jaydee,
I've made an adjustment as suggested and the seal does seem to be tighter.

Im hoping to get time tonight for a run if the rain holds off and will give it a test.

Many thanks.

Rachel

Roll_on
27-05-10, 02:57 PM
Congrats on passing your test. Not sure where you are but if you want a run this evening its bike night at the Sally you could pop over to that.

rach4444
27-05-10, 03:12 PM
I may see you later then. Will check if the other half is up for it after work.
Thanks for the invite.
Rach

Jon_W
27-05-10, 03:40 PM
Congratulations!!

Good to see somone else taking to two wheels.

Re a more expensive helmet. I had a cheap one when I started out. Had no end of trouble with it. Got a Shoei in a sale and have never looked back. £300+ may seem a lot but after an hour with it on your head, you will appreciate the difference. Arai are ment to be very good. A few people I know swear by them, but they don't suit my head shape. Try before you buy.

Beamer
27-05-10, 04:21 PM
Well Done Rachel...... ;D ;D ;D

BB
27-05-10, 05:00 PM
Well done on passing and welcome [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

My choice is Arai but I tried a very nice AGV at the weekend which I was very tempted with. As suggested try on lots before you buy to see what fits. There is a thread on here somewhere about helmet noise you may want to read too.

BB

Kevinb
27-05-10, 05:38 PM
Well done. We like Caberg's. My wife has a flip front and I prefer to use a half face. Me with the visor down I don't get watery eye's even at silly speeds ;)

Davey
27-05-10, 05:46 PM
Congrats on passing your test :)

Helmets are a personal thing personally I wear Arai but others can find them uncomfortable - my AGV at speed made a whistle sound like a siren nothing like giving me a heart attack every time but my misses loves hers. But with all the quality helmets you will get a decent visor system so should eliminate the wind rush

Bonnielass
27-05-10, 05:53 PM
Congratulations on passing your test, maybe see you later at the Sally!

Jacde
27-05-10, 07:06 PM
Oooohhhh well done you, hopefully be me by the end of the year (if my CBT was anything to go by) ;D ;D

Robf
27-05-10, 07:13 PM
congratulations

bobf279
27-05-10, 07:23 PM
well done enjoy your biking freedom

AlanMc
27-05-10, 07:28 PM
well done, ope to see you soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dedward
27-05-10, 08:01 PM
Well done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Richzx10r
27-05-10, 08:03 PM
Congratulations [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Last Train
27-05-10, 08:13 PM
Excellent !!

8-)

JohnS
27-05-10, 10:11 PM
Congrats on passing your test! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

With regards the helmet, i had a cheapy when i passed my test because it was all i could afford what with bike and other gear purchases.

My feeling now is that you can't put a price on comfort or safety so try before you buy! I now have a Schuberth and it's perfect (for me)!

hotdog
27-05-10, 10:20 PM
Congratulations on passing... no mean feat nowadays... Well done.

Geordie Stu
28-05-10, 12:34 PM
Well done on passing your test. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
28-05-10, 02:52 PM
Top banana! Feels good doesn't it. Now you're doing it 'properly' you need to find a lid that fits you perfectly and doesn't have bits that buzz or flap or won't seal. There's probably some adjustment to be had with your visor and a light smear of Vaseline will help it seal, but you do get what you pay for. As the saying goes: Only get a £40 helmet if you have a £40 head.

Top end kit is as much to do with comfort as safety, you're going to be in it for a long time so it has to work AND feel good.

I'd also recommend getting some further training before you pick up any bad habits. Do it now while you're still in deep learning mode and the skills will stay with you for the rest of your riding life.

It's all expense I know, but crappy kit can spoil many a good ride and bad habits put your life more at risk, so do get the best you can afford.

Mas1
28-05-10, 03:42 PM
Conratulation rachel hope to see you soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nicko@able
28-05-10, 06:32 PM
yaa-hoo,way to go.only 1 minor,thats FANTASTIC.I`m soo chuufed and I dont even know you.More bikes =more bike awareness.I`m gonna have a beer and celebrate.NIcko [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
29-05-10, 01:09 PM
'Only get a £40 helmet if you have a £40 head.'

Funny how the years and ages change things, we were only talking this morning and someone said 'only get a £5 helmet if you got a £5 head' Must be a year ot two older than you!

BB

Nooj
29-05-10, 09:01 PM
Quite possibly, that's inflation for you!

Re: further training. On June 30th ProBike in Newbury are doing a Better Riding day, theory in the morning, Police assessed ride in the afternoon. FREE!

Lorraine
29-05-10, 11:54 PM
well done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]