PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION NEAR HIGHWORTH!!!

b_m1957
23-05-10, 07:54 AM
Anyone who rides through Highworth (Wrag Barn Golf Club way) will have seen the slippery road warning signs.

Anyone who does it regularly will probably, like me, have started ignoring them after nearly a month of pointless signs and a brilliant road for riding.

They've now re-surfaced the road with loose shingle (the stuff that waits for cars to bed it in) and it is a death trap, especially if you don't see the change in road surface. I managed to hold onto my bike, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few come off. Seems ridiculous to be allowed to put the warning signs up so far in advance.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!! :o

Dex
23-05-10, 09:38 AM
I think the warning signs were because the previous surface was a nightmare in the wet. The centre of each lane (which still had some of the rough top layer material) had grip, but the shiny bitumen in the car wheel tracks was like ice as soon as it got damp.

b_m1957
23-05-10, 04:30 PM
I think the warning signs were because the previous surface was a nightmare in the wet. The centre of each lane (which still had some of the rough top layer material) had grip, but the shiny bitumen in the car wheel tracks was like ice as soon as it got damp.
I guess that makes sense. I never drive that route, it's my bike detour ;D

Still p!ssed off that in that case they didn't warn at all about the shingle!!!

igbell
24-05-10, 04:40 PM
Shingle, nice stone chips and rad punctures....

Dabz
24-05-10, 04:55 PM
they've done this on the road out of Trowbridge up through Farleigh Hungerford onto the A36 too, and again on the road between there and the top of Radstock. Nightmare in the car..mine is now covered in bits of tar..but even more hairy on 2 wheels :/ trouble with letting the cars bed it in is that the middle of each lane stays loose!

BB
24-05-10, 06:49 PM
Me & the AJS ended up in a ditch a few years back due to a road being like a shingle beach. I broke an arm and she broke a footrest & lever! ::)

BB

b_m1957
24-05-10, 09:16 PM
they've done this on the road out of Trowbridge up through Farleigh Hungerford onto the A36 too, and again on the road between there and the top of Radstock. Nightmare in the car..mine is now covered in bits of tar..but even more hairy on 2 wheels :/ trouble with letting the cars bed it in is that the middle of each lane stays loose!
I hadn't even thought of that! Was gonna steer clear for a week or two, might not use that road again this summer now. It was certainly the closest I've been to a proper off, must have been millimetres from the kerb by the time I'd scrubbed enough speed to hold onto the bike.

Nooj
27-05-10, 01:22 AM
They've done the B4094 from Wantage to Newbury as well, probably the best road in the area, now strewn with gravel dunes. No signs up apparently either, someone's going to hurt themselves on that!

CBRowner
27-05-10, 01:40 AM
They've pretty much covered Westbury with the same stuff and I'm not impressed because it's stripping away at the paint on the front splitter!!!

nicko@able
27-05-10, 11:17 AM
Who on Earth thought that this,lay gravel and let the cars do the rest,was a good way to re-surface a road.Gravel`s fine if you know its there,Tarmacs better but 2cm of loose ball gravel ontop of poor quality tarmac is insane.WE should make all the powers that be ride down these roads on a KH500 IN FLIPFLOPS AND THONGS.They would soon change their ideas.lol.nicko :-?

Hazel-nut
30-05-10, 09:36 PM
they have recently resurfaced the road round longleat by the entrance to centre parcs!they tarmaced a few hundred yards either side of the entrance but then put the stupid gravel stuff on the rest of it!
im glad they filled in the big pot holes and its a flat road again but the gravel is a bit annoying!glad i dont do it on a bike!!