PDA

View Full Version : "shared" offroad bike idea...

jonnydangerous
27-05-10, 11:27 AM
a lot of you stated an interest in riding offroad BUT also said that buying a bike was expensive....
ive been thinking of an idea for a while now, and think its time to suggest it....
if 5 or 6 of you want to form a "committee" and put in an amount of money "approx £100" for instance, then i can help run a "Shared offroader"...it will be a small bike, cheap to insure, easy to learn on and easy to maintain. the more people who put money into ownership then the cheaper it will be for everyone...
il offer the services for maintenance/fixing bent things, and MAY even be able to keep it at my house.
youll be invited out with my group, and some hints and advice can be passed along too.

if you can form a committee and talk it through im happy to help.... although i do not want to be a part owner/on the committee....

might even be worth "Hiring" the bike out to non "owners" to help pay for itself....this is the cheapest way of getting a lot of you out on an offroader, letting you try before you buy one.....

let me know your thoughts.

Jd.

nicko@able
27-05-10, 01:14 PM
What a great idea,are you thinking"road legal enduro"or are you thinking stripped down,field bike?At least with a legal bike it can be ridenn not trailerd and greenlane sundays are a lot of fun.The field bike would be easier and cheaper,but the laws concerning such dictate that it must take place where the public has no right of access,I think.A big field and a friendly farmer{do they exist?}spring to mind.Nicko

jonnydangerous
27-05-10, 02:36 PM
completely road legal 125cc trail bike, minimum tax, easy to mot, tyres and chain will last, it will be cheap to run, not self destruct like a big enduro bike......

yeah, will be good fun. just need people to commit and put their money up.
the more that join the scheme the cheaper it is.
if people put their names down now, without any committment, it will be easy to look at bikes and see how much it will cost everyone.

who wants to head the committee.....

alanTDM
29-05-10, 11:32 AM
completely road legal 125cc trail bike, minimum tax, easy to mot, tyres and chain will last, it will be cheap to run, not self destruct like a big enduro bike......

yeah, will be good fun. just need people to commit and put their money up.
the more that join the scheme the cheaper it is.
if people put their names down now, without any committment, it will be easy to look at bikes and see how much it will cost everyone.

who wants to head the committee.....

So a trail bike like the Honda XL125 would be fine,cheap to run 70mpg cheap tax and spares wouldnt be to difficult to get hold of as that engine spanned quite a few decades.
Are you thinking of one to ride straight away or one that possibly need some work on it like a project bike?

Nokesy
30-05-10, 11:35 AM
I'd be interested in this idea - anyone else considering it? :)

SBQE2
30-05-10, 05:45 PM
I am interested but would be unlikely to be able to use the bike very much. Even so, if the cost can be driven down to a sensible level then I would still be interested in the idea as I have never done anything like that and would like to have at least one go at it.

Moo
30-05-10, 07:57 PM
I am guessing that this might not be seen as helpful but I would suggest something a bit bigger like an XR250, all the other things apply, cheap, spares etc but the bike is a bit more capable and is easy to ride even for novices. It is also a "proper" off road bike which does make a difference.

:-/

Martin

Nokesy
30-05-10, 08:04 PM
I am interested but would be unlikely to be able to use the bike very much. Even so, if the cost can be driven down to a sensible level then I would still be interested in the idea as I have never done anything like that and would like to have at least one go at it.

The more interest we have, the cheaper it would be for everyone! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I'd be happy to volunteer for 'chairman' of the committee if we get enough interest to get the plan off the ground :)

Let's do the usual and make a list of those that are potentially interested in joining the scheme.

Nokesy
SBQE2

(copy and paste as usual!)

nicko@able
30-05-10, 08:27 PM
I tried to copy but could`nt get bloody thing in copier,now also have paste all over the screen.But you can count me in.

Nokesy
31-05-10, 09:11 AM
Nokesy
SBQE2
nickothesicko [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
31-05-10, 08:49 PM
Only problem with an XR250 would be the seat height - yes, it's a far more capable off-road bike than something like an XL125, but if half (or more) of the "owners" can't sit on it properly or start it, then they won't really get their money's worth. The 125 idea is a good one for a "group" bike and if any of the "owners" like off-roading enough they can sell their stake and get a suitable off-roader of their own [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R6_Don
01-06-10, 10:22 AM
This is a great idea and I would be interested but I am holding off till i can get my own bike as i know i love off roading all ready and would not want to share a bike :P There is a 2001 XR250 on ebay at the moment for £800.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-XR250-2001-/220610450578?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem335d685492

jonnydangerous
01-06-10, 01:16 PM
not my shout, cos im not having any ownership of the bike, but a 125 could be ridden by all, even those without licenses, and would be much easier to manage for "Newbies"......

seems like the interest is there, just need a few more people now...

10 owners at 50quid seems very reasonable.....

BB
01-06-10, 06:51 PM
This is a great idea and I would be interested but I am holding off till i can get my own bike as i know i love off roading all ready and would not want to share a bike :P There is a 2001 XR250 on ebay at the moment for £800.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-XR250-2001-/220610450578?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem335d685492

Racing cams, wiseco pistons.... light green lane use? :o

BB