PDA

View Full Version : Insurance....any ideas??

Beamer
28-04-10, 06:32 AM
Hey there,
I've been trawling the net for decent insurance.......have tried EBIKE.....does anyone else have any good companies they can recommend??
Thanx ...me x
;D ;D

R1chie
28-04-10, 06:38 AM
Always found MCE to be quite competitive

wiltshire builders
28-04-10, 07:13 AM
I'm with dial direct and under written by axa. £126 fully comp on a zx10r. Trouble is you don't know how good they are 'til you have have an accident.
Mate of mine swears by Carol Nash. They are pricey but when he binned it at the Nurburgring they got him a hire car and arranged for his bike to be shipped back. Times like that you're glad you spent an extra £100. Let us know how you get on as insurance can be a minefield.

Davey
28-04-10, 07:17 AM
Ones I use or customers use and more than happy with
Bikesure
MCE
Lexham
Dialdirect
Express
Carol Nash - but few mixed reviews

Uber Dave
28-04-10, 12:31 PM
Carol Nash did me a decent deal this year. All I would say is avoid Bennett's like the plague as I got pissed about by them last year royally!

Dabz
28-04-10, 04:07 PM
I've used insurance2000.co.uk for years now, always been miles cheaper than anyone else

Ducatista
28-04-10, 04:10 PM
A friend of mine had an accident in France/Spain last year and was with Carole Nash.
He had a broken leg so his mates had to deal with the insurers.
They were great, they shipped his bike back and he had good hospital treatment in France.

The guy who crashed into him had a much worse time with his insurer. I can't remeber their name.

Roll_on
28-04-10, 04:34 PM
I have always had great service and a good price from Carol Nash. I do have three bikes with them.

Beamer
28-04-10, 06:03 PM
thanx loads everyone......did a bit of research on all the cifferent companies and got a good deal.......so Im ready to go.....just need the bike now.......delivery tomorrow... time to be confirmed lol whoop whoop

;D ;D

wiltshire builders
28-04-10, 06:55 PM
Oh so it's a secret is it? We give you our advice and you reap the rewards. (might be nice if you let us know so we too might get a good deal) ;)

bobf279
28-04-10, 08:46 PM
I'm with Bennetts and they are doing the 12 months for the price of 9 promotion for new customers and I think I saw on their web site that they are also giving 30% NCD to women who don't have NCD

BB
28-04-10, 08:50 PM
I got all mine plus the car with Carole Nash, not the cheapest but I have only had good experience with them. They provided hire car and then shipped sick bike back from France and when I wrecked the Bonny they were great then too.

Also got my travel health insurance with them too - they cover you for riding bikes abroad no sweat!

BB

Beamer
28-04-10, 10:00 PM
Oh so it's a secret is it? We give you our advice and you reap the rewards. (might be nice if you let us know so we too might get a good deal) ;)

He he he he.....sorry.....i went with the AA cos kev's with them too......i wasnt too fussed about the cover for when abroad cos i doubt i will be travelling out of the county let alone the country on it lol.....we'll use kevs for that lmao......I got fully comp and break down cover for £144.04 and legal expenses too lol.... guess my age helped (past it ) lol ....thank you tho for all the advice
Carol Nash was £350 which i felt was a little extreme bu hey ho ...im now sorted but thank you one and all x

;D ;D

wiltshire builders
28-04-10, 10:17 PM
Good stuff. Hope you don't ever need it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
28-04-10, 10:49 PM
Yes, CN can be a bit pricy for those younger and with little or no NCB! ;D

Once you reach an advanced age they are pretty good! :-[

BB

Dabz
29-04-10, 08:38 AM
excellent price! nothing holding you back now..I assume you'll be out refreshing your skills over the bank hol weekend?

Kevinb
29-04-10, 08:48 AM
I used Swinton. Great £139 fully comp protected on the MT-01 with legal cover. It does help being an old git with full no claims ;D

Davey
29-04-10, 09:13 AM
Having mates in the insurance game also helps - my KTM supermoto and VTR are £69 fully comp but I do have a bit of age on my side and plenty of NCB and qualifications [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
29-04-10, 05:32 PM

BB

Awww bless you BB......but Im no youngster lol....43 is a rather ripe age lol....but i expect the fact I have no NCB had alot to do with the coss and hardly any riding experience too....

;D

BB
29-04-10, 07:46 PM

BB

43? A mere spring chicken! ;)

BB

Awww bless you BB......but Im no youngster lol....43 is a rather ripe age lol....but i expect the fact I have no NCB had alot to do with the coss and hardly any riding experience too....

;D

Nico_babe
06-06-10, 05:53 PM
Ok everyone, whats everyones views on Comprehensive or TPFT? At the mo the cheapest i think i can find for insurance on a 600 for myself is about £650 full comp. Does anyone use TPFT? If so what are your views as it is a hell of a lot cheaper (£400) a year cheaper.
Also does TPFT allow one to gain NCBonusses?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
06-06-10, 06:45 PM
You still build up NCB on TPFT. Thats how i built mine up. I did have an off and had to rebuild the bike myself. Cost me about £1000. If you weigh that up against the £400 you'll be saving it's no contest. I always go fully comp now. You need to factor in how likely are you to prang it, how much parts are for your type of bike, how much your insurance will go up if you do make a claim.

No-one likes to think about having an accident but you do need to consider all the possible outcomes.

Good luck

Ducatista
06-06-10, 07:24 PM
Bear in mind also that if you have an accident and are unlucky that there are no witnesses about, the chances are the other party will recollect the situation differently to you (in their favour).
In this situation insurers very often go 50/50.

So bear in mind it's not only if you prang it yourself but also if you have no witnesses and other person lies through their teeth (sorry I mean recollects the incident differently to you).

I'm sure he won't mind me saying (for the purposes of education) but JDs accident went 50/50 and there were a number of witnesses but with differing accounts.

So don't be under the illusion that it has to be your fault.
It can go against you 50/50 simply because it's difficult to prove either way.

If it's goes 50/50 and you're not fully comp then you have to chase the other insurer for damage to your vehicle yourself because you won't be insured for it so your insurer won't help you.

Neill
06-06-10, 07:38 PM
You still build up NCB on TPFT. Thats how i built mine up. I did have an off and had to rebuild the bike myself. Cost me about £1000. If you weigh that up against the £400 you'll be saving it's no contest. I always go fully comp now. You need to factor in how likely are you to prang it, how much parts are for your type of bike, how much your insurance will go up if you do make a claim.

No-one likes to think about having an accident but you do need to consider all the possible outcomes.

Good luck

Snap, i to played the TPFT versus fully comp gamble , my off cost me about £1000 so have always gone fully comp since :(

Toph
06-06-10, 07:54 PM
I've got a strange story about bike insurance. Last november I renewed my insurance with Bennets. I asked for a quote, accepted it and paid for it over the phone. They asked me for my bank details and the 3 digit security code , assuring me that the line was secure. it maybe a coincedence but less than a week later my bank account had been compromised twice, to the value of 360 quid, both transactions were for online grocery shopping from sainsburys and morrisons, both stores were in the midlands within 30 miles of Bennets headquarters. i phoned them expressing my concerns and spoke to their head of security who assured me it would be fully investigated. Haven't heard a thing since. The bank reinbursed the money, so be very careful giving out your debit or credit card details over the phone.... even to reputable companies.

CBRowner
06-06-10, 09:15 PM
I've gone through Tesco's for my insurance, they were very cheap and I got loads of clubcard points as well.

I only used them because I have a UK licence that was issued from overseas.

I'm paying £133 fully comp, with 3 years NCB from an overseas insurance company and that's for the bike to be on a driveway doing 5000 miles/year (if only ;D) and gives me legal cover, breakdown cover (extremely important :() which includes overseas and there was some other things they gave me but it wasn't that important.

My clubcard points were a bonus though cos it means I can use them for booze [smiley=thumbsup.gif]