PDA

View Full Version : tyre/suspension help

NiteW4tcher
02-06-10, 03:00 PM
lo guys

ive owned my gsxr750 since november last year

i had some dunlop qualifers on it after about 4 months the front one went hard and very slippery...........the rear one let go on me more than once and worn down at a rate of notts

ive now put a maxxis sport on the front and a maxxis sport tourer on the back it wasnt by choice as such my rear one was on the canvass and the front was dangerouly hard and slippy.

so i put on what was available on a bank holday lol

so far im fairly impressed with the rear has let go twice and that was both due to road conditions.

the front im not sure on the bike seems to feel like the fron end is drifinting and the more extreme lean angles.

ive only been riding a sports bike for a limited time before that it was trails and supermoto's

so is it me and lack of confidence i n the bike/tyres? possible riding tequnique? or maybe even a suspension setting? pretty happy with rear just the front end feel

all advice much appreciated

Dan

Davey
02-06-10, 03:07 PM
It could be a multitude of sins that are making you feel uncomfortable - i have run the Maxxis on track and road for about 2 years+ now and have found them an excellent tyre. I assume you have checked the pressures are correct, even wear and no damage. Without seeing you ride i can't comment on your style but could be that. Or could be the suspension is set up badly - has it been tweeked with? or could be you need some bigger kahoonas and ride the thing.

then again the tyre could just not suit your style of riding - for what one likes another may hate and vice versa [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

NiteW4tcher
02-06-10, 03:09 PM
i did up the pressures the otherday they r currently on 40f and 38r felt alot better

jonnydangerous
02-06-10, 03:18 PM
set all the suspension to stock settings and tyre pressures to what the manf'r recommends....and go from there....
i have mixed sports fronts and sports touring tyres before, and all was ok (avons) but never had a go on the Maxxis like this, the front sports may have a more agressive profile, and the rear a more rounded, and the back steering "out" from your ideal line, making the front "Feel" out of control even though the back is at fault....

come on over some time and we can set it up from standard.....

40 seems a bit high for a front........is that what they run standard???...

hope you get this one sorted, and enjoy the bike again soon.

jaydee.

CBRowner
02-06-10, 04:55 PM
I used the maxxis sport tourer's on my bike and during the time I used it, they were fine. They even stuck to the road when covered in oil [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Try taking the bike to a tyre place and get the guys to give you a free check up because they'll be able to tell you if there's any problems

Mark_Able
02-06-10, 09:26 PM
i did up the pressures the otherday they r currently on 40f and 38r felt alot better

40 front? Blimey, you wouldn't feel a thing going on under you, and they'll probably feel like they want to tuck under you. Recommended is normally 36 front, but I normally run about 32.

Rear is normally 42 recommended, but I prefer about 36. Then again, when I ride hard, I ride HARD, if you know what I mean.

I doubt there was anything wrong with your original tyres to be honest mate. If you're fairly new to bike riding, I doubt your riding is going to cook a new set of tyres, and that is the only way the front tyre would go off. Until you really know what you're feeling for, stick with manufacturers recommendations, 36f 42r. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

NiteW4tcher
03-06-10, 12:33 PM
cheers................returned tyres to stock

same

had bike front wheel up gave it a wiggle............front bearings shot.....so much play its :(

being done later today £70 all in :)

igbell
03-06-10, 02:38 PM
Ah yes that could well do it then, I had my head bearings go it this made the bike feel loose

Mark_Able
03-06-10, 03:08 PM

same

had bike front wheel up gave it a wiggle............front bearings shot.....so much play its :(

Ah ha! That'll do it. Glad you found the problem. Most stock set ups are fine for the road, with the exception of Kawasaki's... :-? They're a bit firm on the suspension front... :o

wiltshire builders
03-06-10, 03:24 PM

same

Ah ha! That'll do it. Glad you found the problem. Most stock set ups are fine for the road, with the exception of Kawasaki's... :-? They're a bit firm on the suspension front... :o
I'll second that! :o

NiteW4tcher
03-06-10, 10:14 PM
its getting done tomorrow now instead but least ill have her for the weekend :)

jonnydangerous
04-06-10, 08:23 AM
brakes will be better too.... :-)
glad you found the problem mate.

theres a rideout sunday from the Oliver Cromwell pub at Bromham, be good to see you there fella.

jd.

NiteW4tcher
05-06-10, 12:37 PM
its all fixed ;D loving my bike again ;D

BB
06-06-10, 07:40 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-)

BB

Jon_W
07-06-10, 02:45 PM
Good stuff.

Glad to see a quick and simple resolution. :D

Steve_H...
08-06-10, 08:20 PM
4 Months doesn't sound too bad... Halfway through my second set and only had the bike 5 weeks :o