PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Test Consultation

ro
09-06-10, 12:34 PM
From Michael Penning (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Roads and Motoring), Transport) (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id=2010-06-08a.7WS.1):

I am announcing today a review of motorcycle tests in Great Britain. The new two-part motorcycle test that was introduced in April 2009 has clearly led to some concern among motorcycle groups, particularly about the safety of the off-road module 1 part of the test and about the difficulty of accessing the limited number of off-road test centres. The new test was introduced in order to meet the requirements of the second EU directive on driving licences. While most elements in the module 1 test are required by the directive, there may be scope for us to make some changes to the way in which the test is carried out.

We will be working with the motorcycle community and road safety groups to look again at the current form of the motorcycle test. This review will look at the manoeuvres carried out in both modules 1 (off-road) and 2 (on-road) and whether these manoeuvres could safely be conducted in the on-road test.

The review will also look at other related motorcycle testing and training issues, including the options for training and testing for progressive access under the third driving licence directive and how any changes relate to wider proposals to improve motorcycle training and testing.

We are inviting views from members of the public, motorcycle riders, trainers, road safety groups and others on what aspects of the motorcycle test they want us to look at, including how and where they think motorcycle testing might best and most safely be carried out. Views should be submitted to the Department for Transport (RUSD4consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 31 July. We aim to conclude the review by the autumn.

Good news... or a chance for them to mess things up even more?

Morticia
09-06-10, 12:44 PM
From Michael Penning (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Roads and Motoring), Transport) (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id=2010-06-08a.7WS.1):

I am announcing today a review of motorcycle tests in Great Britain. The new two-part motorcycle test that was introduced in April 2009 has clearly led to some concern among motorcycle groups, particularly about the safety of the off-road module 1 part of the test and about the difficulty of accessing the limited number of off-road test centres. The new test was introduced in order to meet the requirements of the second EU directive on driving licences. While most elements in the module 1 test are required by the directive, there may be scope for us to make some changes to the way in which the test is carried out.

We will be working with the motorcycle community and road safety groups to look again at the current form of the motorcycle test. This review will look at the manoeuvres carried out in both modules 1 (off-road) and 2 (on-road) and whether these manoeuvres could safely be conducted in the on-road test.

The review will also look at other related motorcycle testing and training issues, including the options for training and testing for progressive access under the third driving licence directive and how any changes relate to wider proposals to improve motorcycle training and testing.

We are inviting views from members of the public, motorcycle riders, trainers, road safety groups and others on what aspects of the motorcycle test they want us to look at, including how and where they think motorcycle testing might best and most safely be carried out. Views should be submitted to the Department for Transport (RUSD4consultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 31 July. We aim to conclude the review by the autumn.

Good news... or a chance for them to mess things up even more?

Governmetn being government, I reckon they'll just make it even worse ;D

CBRowner
09-06-10, 12:50 PM
I'm so glad I took my test overseas as I don't think I would have passed a UK test. :D

Mark_Able
09-06-10, 09:31 PM
It's not often the DSA does a U-turn on policy. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breathe... ::)

Jon_W
10-06-10, 08:03 AM
It's a review. No mention of changing anything.

Chances are, the review will conclude that the current system is sound and that more centres are required.

BB
10-06-10, 05:58 PM
You are probably right Jon

BB

nicko@able
10-06-10, 06:48 PM
yup,thats my bet,£72million and counting wasted so that we can conform to tests that Brussels says are not required.Which "genius" thought up this codswollup in the first place.And in a couple of years time they are going to change it all anyway,Bigger bikes,24 for DAS.etc,etc. >:( >:( >:(

freddieb
10-06-10, 07:44 PM
Exactly right, my kiwi mucker.... ;D I think It's a step towards changing the riding test again.. >:( Plant the seed early and all that tosh.. :-?

Mark_Able
10-06-10, 08:03 PM
There's no getting away from it, they want us off the road. Although we are only a small number of road users, we make up for nearly 20% of serious and fatal accidents. Accidents cost money. It costs to send out Police and an ambulance, to give emergency care, to give life support, to give rehabilitation, to make an investigation into the causes. If they get most of us off the road, they reduce costs. I know it sounds synical but it's true. :(

Toph
10-06-10, 10:18 PM
I think those of us who are planning to, or in the process of taking our tests should get on with it.... PRONTO!!!

Jacde
10-06-10, 10:24 PM
I'll be mighty miffed if they scrap it right after I've got through my Mod 1 & 2 [smiley=evil.gif]
But I'm happy to do whats required of me to get my licence, just think other road users should be put through similar, bus and taxi drivers are morons, yesterday at Bruce st bridges in Swindon there was a taxi driver coming at me on my side of the road, :o bless think he was confused by roundabout AND traffic light AND road junctions all in the same place >:( >:( >:( >:( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

igbell
14-06-10, 03:20 PM
what can we say......Goverments