PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection

rach4444
18-06-10, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a solution to the keys scratching the paintwork while in motion.

I've only had my bike a week and already there is a visible arc where the keys swing.

Hope this isn't a silly question... am I being too fussy?

Rach

R2D2
18-06-10, 04:46 AM
the only other thing on my bike key is a rubber/plastic yamaha keyring, and I've got a clipper on the rest of my keys to clip the bike key with. when i'm riding, the bike key goes in the bike (obviously) and the rest go safely in my pocket!

Chris

BoatingBiker
18-06-10, 05:30 AM
Hi, I had a similar concern so cut a couple of lengths of PVC(Electrical) tapes and stuck in onto the paintwork that was being rubbed. I was able to use same black colour tape as paintwork so it does not notice [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
18-06-10, 07:27 AM
You can get sheets of clear plastic from car spares shops.

I think Foliatech do them or, and you'll like this top tip especially from me..........

Mobile phone screen protectors, they're thick, clear and waterproof [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
18-06-10, 07:29 AM
Or, go keyless like I have for £20 from ebay. It not only saves your paint work but it looks cool when you start your bike from the other end of the car park [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
18-06-10, 07:36 AM
Or just whack a carbon yoke protector on it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
18-06-10, 07:39 AM
I Think carefully about what keys you need to carry. Bike key and maybe a lock key. The rest i keep in a key safe on the house wall. Or you could get a lanyard round your neck and keep them on that. Scratched yokes can really put buyers off when you come to sell because it's right in the line of sight.

CBRowner
18-06-10, 07:48 AM
A tie wrap, that can be undone, will keep your keys still and thus preventing them from scratching your paint [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

There are loads of options out there but it's true about scratched yokes, it's put me off a few bikes although it's not a major factor for me during my bike hunting period :)

Jon_W
18-06-10, 08:44 AM
Minimise you keys and I have used the clear 3M stick back plastic to protect yokes in the past.

rach4444
18-06-10, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone for all the really useful suggestions. Simple ideas that I didn't have the imagination for at 4:30 this motning.

Much appreciated.

CBRowner
18-06-10, 09:59 AM
No worries, that's what this site's for [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
18-06-10, 10:22 AM
type "Paint Protection Film" into eeeeeeee bay, and you can buy small squares of 3M material for a couple quid.
cut to shape, stick on and woohoo!....

:-)

rich1988
18-06-10, 10:54 AM
Or, go keyless like I have for £20 from ebay. It not only saves your paint work but it looks cool when you start your bike from the other end of the car park [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Links to the kit? was it hard to fit? just sounds like a cool idea, although i do already have a datatool alarm so i suspect i cant fit one

Robf
19-06-10, 05:14 PM
i use a leather wallet with all my keys in, and i don't have the problem of keys scratching the tank or anything then =)

CBRowner
20-06-10, 07:14 PM

Links to the kit? was it hard to fit? just sounds like a cool idea, although i do already have a datatool alarm so i suspect i cant fit one

I can't remember the site but if you do an ebay search for cyclone bike alarms you can find them that way.

They even do one that you can pre-record a message to wouldbe theives [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

And regarding fitting it to your alarm, give the seller a ring and get the wiring diagram for your bike and alarm or pay £80 (I think) and get a pro to fit it.

I did mine myself, and after a few minor shocks, got it to work fine and it's pretty good for warming your bike up on cold days [smiley=thumbsup.gif]