PDA

View Full Version : ZX9r gearbox swap

Mitch9128
22-06-10, 12:04 PM
Hi All
Got a zx9r with the dodgy gearbox, so i want to swap it out with a z1000, it's do-able, see this thread http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23755
Problem is, i am in no way that mechanically minded, anybody here who is? Or can reccomend someone who is?
Cheers
Mitch

jonnydangerous
22-06-10, 12:06 PM
why do the swap? whats wrong with yours???...is it 1st to 2nd change, or the other way when coming down the box???.....

Green Man
22-06-10, 12:20 PM
Hi I have a zx9 and it seems to be a common problem with the gear box, mine some times will not quite go in gear if I drop the revs it will then go in to gear I found a fix for this wip the left foot peg off and re grease the peg and gear shaft on the peg this works fine and I always change the the oil once a year this helps to good luck
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mitch9128
22-06-10, 01:22 PM
Greenman, i have stripped and cleaned/regreased the linkage, and in particular loaded the recess on the left footpeg, no change, also made sure the chain tension was spot on. It's a known problem, but only affects the C models.

Jaydee, it seems to be 3rd, hard acceleration, then hard off and it pops into a false neutral. It's happened 3 or 4 times now, once at about 80 into a fast sweeping bend, not a good time for a false neutral!!!

One of the fixes is a Z1000 gearbox, from 2003-2006 era. I can pick one up from Ebay for around £100. Although i'm fairly savvy, this is out of my league, and wallet if i put it into a garage. It's either do it the cheap way, or sell my MTB to fund. Anyone want to buy a Giant VT1?

jonnydangerous
22-06-10, 02:28 PM
hard to diagnose without looking BUT............................
do you do lots of clutchless changes??? (possible bent selector fork)
how many miles on your box? possible wear in the detent "star" at the end of the selector drum......
the other possibility if this has ben going on for a long time is wear in the "Dogs" that mesh from the side of one gear into the next......

from the hard "power" to hard "off power" id say the gear dogs were worn....

is this something they seem to suffer, why is the Z1000 box better????......

is 100 quid inc the casings? or just the gears, shafts, forks, and shift mechanism????

Mitch9128
22-06-10, 04:11 PM
No clutchles changes, only had bike 4 months and 3k miles
19k miles on bike.
Only started last week
The z1000 box is the evolution of the 9r C2 box, you can also use an 9r E1 box, but they are a lot rarer.
Example set http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-Z1000-Z-1000-06-Gearbox-/400093514946?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&h ash=item5d276e8cc2
needs a new clutch lifter i think.