PDA

View Full Version : MCE Insurance

Morticia
24-06-10, 08:03 PM
Just wandering if anyone here is with them, and their experience so far? I've found them to be ineptitude personified, oh bliss! :o

Davey
24-06-10, 08:09 PM
I deal with MCE on a daily basis and used to be insured with them - good prices easy to get hold of sales team but not so to make changes. Don't know about the claims side. I deal with the dealer side and they operate very professionally [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
24-06-10, 09:19 PM
Used them on my first bike and on my current bike.

Never had any dramas with them although like Stu, I haven't had to deal with any claims through them.

Mitch9128
24-06-10, 09:26 PM
I'm with them, as of last week. 1/3rd of what i was paying Devitts, and upgrading the breakdown to full jobbie with the RAC is only an extra £50

CBRowner
25-06-10, 08:09 AM
They've been the cheapest quoters that I've used and they seem to be happy with insuring project honda on its frame number and they also took my no claims from Gib as well [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'll probably use them whenever I get my new bike because they were cheapest, although I found them to be cheaper via Tesco's than on their own site :-?

Roll_on
25-06-10, 08:28 AM
CarolNash say they will beat any quote in their advert. I use them and they have been very good, worth a call.
www.CaroleNash.com/bike-insurance

jonnydangerous
25-06-10, 08:35 AM
cheapest i could find, but didnt send me the cover note/doc for nearly 2 weeks!!! screaming at them again and again only got me passed round the departments............
wont be using them again!.....
would rather pay a bit more and not spend a total of FOUR hours on the phone in 7 different phone calls.
they even had me in the q on one phone, i rang on the land line and was answered before the mobile that i was waiting on!
they didnt ring me back TWICE when they said they would.....

sodding useless................

Ducatista
25-06-10, 09:06 AM
CarolNash say they will beat any quote in their advert.

That's worth knowing.

Morticia
25-06-10, 09:14 AM
cheapest i could find, but didnt send me the cover note/doc for nearly 2 weeks!!! screaming at them again and again only got me passed round the departments............
wont be using them again!.....
would rather pay a bit more and not spend a total of FOUR hours on the phone in 7 different phone calls.
they even had me in the q on one phone, i rang on the land line and was answered before the mobile that i was waiting on!
they didnt ring me back TWICE when they said they would.....

sodding useless................

This is more similar to my own experience, will not renew with them. I actually don't mind paying more if I have to, hopefully it guarantees talking to someone that knows what doing their job means...

Morticia
25-06-10, 09:17 AM
CarolNash say they will beat any quote in their advert. I use them and they have been very good, worth a call.
www.CaroleNash.com/bike-insurance

The more people I ask, the more votes this lot gets. My sv is due in September, and will try to go with them, especially if they make it cheaper. (The sv insurance is under a £100 at the moment) I've also heard they're brilliant for more than one bike AND the best if you happen to have any mishaps outside of the UK. What else can a girl ask for?! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Blackandchrome
25-06-10, 12:38 PM
Well...... I am sure any girl could think of something else!! ;D ;D ;D

Morticia
25-06-10, 12:41 PM
Well...... I am sure any girl could think of something else!! ;D ;D ;D

As soon as I pressed POST I wondered how long it would take for someone to say just that...

Ducatista
25-06-10, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine broke his leg in France/Spain (can't remember which country they were in at the time).
He was with Carole Nash and apparently they were really good and brought his bike back (he was in hsopital with broken leg).
They also dealt with his friends (as he was incapacitated).
I would imagine this could be a nightmare with certain companies with data protection act, but they dealt with his friends fine.

I am currently with ebike
They have some good points.
You can make bike/rider changes on line very easily.
But also some downsides.
They are internet only so it's really difficult to talk to someone.
No 3rd party for other bikes.
No rallies.

I am thinking of changin next time as well and will certainly try Carole Nash.

It is definitely worth consider more than price alone.

Morticia
25-06-10, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine broke his leg in France/Spain (can't remember which country they were in at the time).
He was with Carole Nash and apparently they were really good and brought his bike back (he was in hsopital with broken leg).
They also dealt with his friends (as he was incapacitated).
I would imagine this could be a nightmare with certain companies with data protection act, but they dealt with his friends fine.

I am currently with ebike
They have some good points.
You can make bike/rider changes on line very easily.
But also some downsides.
They are internet only so it's really difficult to talk to someone.
No 3rd party for other bikes.
No rallies.

I am thinking of changin next time as well and will certainly try Carole Nash.

It is definitely worth consider more than price alone.

The downsides of ebike are big nonos for me, as Steve has to be able to ride my bikes. And not being able to take the bikes to a rally is simply harsh!

Will defo go for Carole Nash, sounds like the best even if it works out a bit more expensive.

Ducatista
25-06-10, 03:36 PM
You can definitely add on other riders.
It's quite easy and normally fairly cheap when I've used it.
They don't charge you admin fees usually as there is no human intervention.

The problems come if you want to do something that is not already on the system (this used to be add someone with a claim - but they have fixed that now) and then it's seems impossible to speak to someone. They should get back to you in 4 hours by email but they don't always.

So most of the time it's fine, but if you need to do something at short notice (before a holiday perhaps) and you can't get someone, then it's maddenning.

bubblylittleme
26-06-10, 12:18 AM
Thought I'd ring Carole Nash as mines due and had received an email with code. It stated will better price quotes!

Load of rubbish!

AA who I was with last year quoted me £89, Carole Nash quoted me £160! When I said not interested they asked would I consider somewhere in between, they could reduce it to £140.
I still said no. They said couldn't drop any more so sorry couldnt help me!!!!!!!!!!!

CBRowner
26-06-10, 07:05 AM
I found Carole Nash to be very expensive and they constantly ring, and email, you if you've got a quote from them.

They quoted me over £1000 for a new R1 yet MCE quoted me about £500!!!

I just wish my Gib insurance would work over here because I never paid more than £90 for insurance :(

Ducatista
26-06-10, 10:04 AM
They said couldn't drop any more

Hi Sue,

Did you quote their magazine offer.
They might not volunteer it unless you quote their offer.

Ducatista
26-06-10, 10:05 AM
I found Carole Nash to be very expensive and they constantly ring, and email, you if you've got a quote from them.

TOP TIP:

Phone number: 01234 567890
Email: mickey.mouse@aol.com

CBRowner
26-06-10, 10:20 AM

TOP TIP:

Knowing my luck I'll give them those details and they'll be the cheapest ;D

I get screwed because I'm in the forces and we are more likely to be killed on the roads than a civvi which are pretty horrific odds if that's the case :o

Ducatista
26-06-10, 10:47 AM
Why don't you get quotes on line, where they are given there and then?
Then you don't have to wait for someone to call you back.

Or do they have to go off to underwritters for forces?

CBRowner
26-06-10, 11:15 AM
Sometimes I get the quote there and then but most of the times it goes to the underwriters.

I now use the fact that I'm a DJ and mechanic for my insurance because it's cheaper [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I also add a pillion as well just incase someone fancies getting on the back of me :D

Morticia
26-06-10, 05:43 PM
You can definitely add on other riders.
It's quite easy and normally fairly cheap when I've used it.
They don't charge you admin fees usually as there is no human intervention.

The problems come if you want to do something that is not already on the system (this used to be add someone with a claim - but they have fixed that now) and then it's seems impossible to speak to someone. They should get back to you in 4 hours by email but they don't always.

So most of the time it's fine, but if you need to do something at short notice (before a holiday perhaps) and you can't get someone, then it's maddenning.

Maddening and insurance really should not be seen together, me thinks. Will try CN.

Morticia
26-06-10, 05:46 PM

TOP TIP:

I get screwed because I'm in the forces and we are more likely to be killed on the roads than a civvi which are pretty horrific odds if that's the case :o

Steve's forces too, and he didn't get it more expensive because of it. Will ask him who he's with.

CBRowner
26-06-10, 06:04 PM

TOP TIP:

Steve's forces too, and he didn't get it more expensive because of it. Will ask him who he's with.

I went for a quote as a serviceman and then did another for a similar job in Civvi street and the first quote was about £200 more >:(

bubblylittleme
27-06-10, 05:16 PM
Yes ...I did quote mag code but no help.

Ducatista
28-06-10, 09:22 AM
I now use the fact that I'm a DJ and mechanic for my insurance because it's cheaper [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but are you saying you are lying about your main occupation to get a cheaper quote?
You do know that if an insurer found this out then they would squirm out of a claim.

Morticia
29-06-10, 05:00 PM

TOP TIP:

I went for a quote as a serviceman and then did another for a similar job in Civvi street and the first quote was about £200 more >:(

Do you know why??? It's a bit out of order, isn't it? I mean, Steve even lives on camp, is not like he's going to ride to work...

Ducatista
29-06-10, 05:20 PM
Do you know why???

Yes, it's because forces people have more claims compared to the general population.

It's a bit out of order, isn't it?

Well not really.
If they have statistics that prove that one group of people have more accidents than others then they are allowed to charge more, whether that's by employment, postcode, gender,age or whatever.
You and I benefit from that being female as whatever you believe, the statistics show women have less claims (or less expensive ones).

Steve even lives on camp, is not like he's going to ride to work...

It's nothing to do with that.
It's to do with the number of claims from people with that occupation.

Nokesy
29-06-10, 05:29 PM
I am just curious as to why those serving in the forces are more likely to have more accidents? :-? Is this the same for both men and women?

Morticia
29-06-10, 06:26 PM
Ducatista, how do you do that thing where you only quote the bit you want and not the entire thing? When I try it, it just says "quote" at the end... :-?

Ducatista
29-06-10, 10:34 PM
I am just curious as to why those serving in the forces are more likely to have more accidents?

There is a serious problem recently (both in the UK and the US) with forces personnel coming back from the front line and being really fired up and going out and killing themselves in the first few weeks.
They have been encouraging a lot of forces personnel to go on BikeSafe (I think they might get a day off to do it), to try to help counter this.
As well as the front line issue there's also the fact that many soldiers will be "type A" personalities who are not scared of danger.
Here's a relevant link.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102990179

Is this the same for both men and women?

Statistically I don't know.
But I suspect there is a link with tesosterone ;)
I would expect forces ladies are higher risk than civvy ladies but not as high as forces men, but that's a guess.

There are many other factors that affect insurance.
Postcode, age, gender, mileage, where bike is stored, convictions, claims, no claims dscount, whether you have a partner, advanced training etc.
Whether you think it's fair or not I'm afraid is rather irrelvevant.
It's toally legal to discriminate if a higher risk can be demonstrated through claims figures.

Actually (and Dave won't want to hear this) but even if your bike/car gets knocked over whilst you aren't present, you become more risky and you are even loaded for a non-fault claim.
This seems unfair but apparently if you claim once you are more likely to claim again e.g. you obviously leave your bike near blind people.
A lot of people are very unhappy about this, but again it's legal.

Ducatista
29-06-10, 10:35 PM
Ducatista, how do you do that thing where you only quote the bit you want and not the entire thing? When I try it, it just says "quote" at the end... :-?

you can manually type
[quote] at the start
and the same but with a / before the q at the end of your quote
(I can't actually type it else it will treat it as a quote).

geek or what ;D

jonneyflame
30-06-10, 10:03 AM
i seem to remember a thread about this on Moneysavingexpert.com it helps you compare job types and how possibly to get around the discrimination. Im in the army but have two years no claims for the bike and about 17 for the car so this may make up for the fact that according to insurance companies i continuously want to kill myself by jumping in front of bullets or passing cars.
:D

Ducatista
30-06-10, 10:50 AM
so this may make up for the fact that according to insurance companies i continuously want to kill myself by jumping in front of bullets or passing cars.

:)

Unfortunately it's not practical for insurers to give every person a thorough interview, medical and psychometric test.
Hence they use categories.
They are winners and losers but I know a lot of 17 year old boys feel very hard done by.

Morticia
30-06-10, 11:08 AM
[quote author=Morticia link=1277406212/30#30 date=1277832379]

you can manually type

at the start

geek or what ;D

Thank you, will be trying it soon! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Morticia
30-06-10, 11:24 AM
you can manually type
[quote] at the start

testing, testing, 1-2,1-2 ;D

Morticia
30-06-10, 11:24 AM
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TA! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]