PDA

View Full Version : Loud Cans...

Steve_H...
01-07-10, 01:01 AM
Interested in a little feedback on this one :) I have a Yoshimura R77 (Not road legal) can on my bike, pulling the clutch in everytime i get a sniff of a policeman is starting to get a little boring to say the least...

The last thing i want to do is go back to the standard Fireblade can, but that said i also dont want to be attracting too much unwanted attention.

The Law on this, from what i can find on the subject seems alittle grey to say the least ?

What is the legal Decibel level allowed on the road ?

If exceeded what punishment can we bikers expect for being naughty and exceeding it ?

Does anyone know of any nice road legal GP Style cans for a Fireblade ?

8-)

Ps... Does anyone want an almost new Yoshi R77 Race can ::)

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 08:16 AM
its done (or used to be unless they changed it) on a WOT (wide open throttle) drive by test....

the bike is ridden at half throttle, past a stationary dB meter at one meters distance, then the throttle opened fully at the instant of passing....
think the legal dB limit was 98 (which is just louder than a mouse F*rt).......
this includes, induction roar, engine mechanical noise, aerodynamics, chain noise (which is the real reason manfr's use o-ring chains!) and exhaust noise.

how about using the baffle? is it too quiet? and too loud without it?
do you need something in-between?....

wiltshire builders
01-07-10, 08:21 AM
I shouldn't worry about it. By the time you've seen the cop he'd have been listening to you for at least half a mile. All those times you think you've sneaked past un-noticed was really the cop not giving a sh@t.

Roll_on
01-07-10, 09:38 AM
If 98dB is the legal limit then nearly every Harley I know of is breaking the law mine included but I have never been stopped or even questioned about my exhausts.

CBRowner
01-07-10, 09:46 AM
The police don't care about boy/girl racers in their Saxo's with aftermarket exhausts, which you can get made as loud as poosible, but they get funny about motorbikes.

When I was younger, I had a custom made Powerflow exhaust on my 206gti, along with a viper carbon induction kit, and that was alot louder than my bike can but the police used to always question the legality of the 'E' marked can on my bike.

I think the only way you can be above the law is to have an 'E' marked can, otherwise you'll start to accumulate points on your licence.

You don't need to go standard as there's plenty of noisey cans out there and Powerflow can even make one for bikes which are all 'E' marked but even they come with an advisory warning [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 11:43 AM
ive got some laser cut stainless rivet on badges (done by a mate in a machine shop) with BSAU 193 T3 1983 on it, and the E mark in the square (cos he's clever)......

gissa shout if you want to "Procure one" they cost approximately 1 beef burger, or a portion of chips, or one pint of coke (no ice ta)... ;-)

i'l bring a few to Sally tonight....

:-)

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 12:12 PM
can you keep the can you have and modify the "perforated baffle tube" inside, a reduction in diameter would result in a decrease in noise..... (i have perforated tube and a welder....)...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
01-07-10, 12:13 PM
It's most probably been put somewhere on the forum already, but we should be allowed to be as noisy as possible, to wake the dozy ejits driving around in their little tin boxes! [smiley=evil.gif]
And anyway, bike don't hang around for long enough to make a noise nuisance anyway ;)

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 12:35 PM
yeah, agree.....altho my "John Deacon Desert Race Pipe" on my KTM (valued at more than the bike was) was Juuuuuuuuust a weeeeee bit ear splittingly loud.....hahaha :-)

Jacde
01-07-10, 12:40 PM
But that's why ear plugs were invented ;D ;D

jonnydangerous
01-07-10, 02:40 PM
nah, ear plugs are for when you have a 1year old daughter teething (shes had all her teeth cme through TWO at a time...ouch!)... ;-)

seriously tho, the R77 can be made quieter, just needs a bit of fabrication skills.....

gissa shout and we can see what we can do....

JayDee.

Steve_H...
02-07-10, 12:03 AM
Thanks Jaydee as things stand i can put the decibel limiter in (Steel Tube) but then i might as well of just left it standard as it sounds flat as a f*** and also messes up the custom mapping, without it, think i'm riding my luck, everytime i go out. so need to work out a compromise.

I don't have the tools or the know how, but happy to experiment, if you have the time...

Would be much appreciated [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
02-07-10, 08:16 AM
we can alter the decibel limiter maybe, open it out a bit until you think you like the sound.......
if you can wait a couple weeks il be free in the evenings and we can have a bash at it....

jaydee...

Steve_H...
02-07-10, 09:44 AM
we can alter the decibel limiter maybe, open it out a bit until you think you like the sound.......
if you can wait a couple weeks il be free in the evenings and we can have a bash at it....

jaydee...

Sounds good mate, let me know when your free and will try and sort things with work [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
02-07-10, 01:28 PM
Make sure your bike is legal in every other respect, including the number plate, and the Fuzz won't bat an eyelid (unless you're riding like a knob in built up areas)... ;)

Steve_H...
02-07-10, 11:11 PM
Make sure your bike is legal in every other respect, including the number plate, and the Fuzz won't bat an eyelid (unless you're riding like a knob in built up areas)... ;)

And my Black Visor... Lol

Roxy
03-07-10, 08:44 AM

And my Black Visor... Lol

Troublemaker!! ;D ;) ::)

slowr1der
03-07-10, 11:57 AM
Interested in a little feedback on this one :) I have a Yoshimura R77 (Not road legal) can on my bike, pulling the clutch in everytime i get a sniff of a policeman is starting to get a little boring to say the least...

The last thing i want to do is go back to the standard Fireblade can, but that said i also dont want to be attracting too much unwanted attention.

The Law on this, from what i can find on the subject seems alittle grey to say the least ?

If exceeded what punishment can we bikers expect for being naughty and exceeding it ?

8-)

oes it say 'not for road use' on it. I have looked on various websites and cant see anyone advertising it as 'not for road use' which would suggest to me that if yoiu were stopped you would have no problems at all.

Steve_H...
03-07-10, 12:07 PM

8-)

oes it say 'not for road use' on it. I have looked on various websites and cant see anyone advertising it as 'not for road use' which would suggest to me that if yoiu were stopped you would have no problems at all.

It had a peel off sticker "For Race use only" of course that didn't stay on long...

;)

DaytonaDog
04-07-10, 11:42 AM
TBH unless you happen to get stopped by one of the more anally retentive members of the traffic department, most of my colleagues, me included wouldn't have a scooby if an exhaust was legal or not and like Able Training said, unless you are riding like a knob or in an anti-social manner you are unlikely to get stopped just for that. I certainly wouldn't stop you, but then I am a biker. In the unlikely event that you did get stopped I expect that you would get a rectification ticket requiring you to have it tested at a garage. (and amazingly the road legal can would be back on the bike prior to the test and would get that all clear [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=happy.gif]).

The only other thing to consider is would the insurance company get funny about it if you needed to make a claim. (hopefully not). It wouldn't invalidate your insurance, but they may say the bike is not covered with a custom can.