PDA

View Full Version : OH YEAH BABY!!!!!

Andy63
07-07-10, 01:25 AM
OH YEAH BABY!!!!! MY BIKE IS HERE!!!!! :D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D :D
Only a day later than expected, can't complain though.
A, Got a 1989 400 Bandit (needs battery, CDI unit, tax, MOT and a clean up), for £290 delivered!
B, MY BIKE IS HERE!!!!! :D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D :D
I can see it from where I'm sat right now! Just had to tell. I am sooooo chuffed.

Jacde
07-07-10, 02:23 AM
So you're a little bit happy then?
;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

Geordie Stu
07-07-10, 08:12 AM
Nice. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
07-07-10, 08:13 AM
bargain :-)
nice bikes, its a little different, be nice to see when its on the road :-)

Lorraine
07-07-10, 05:37 PM
:) 8-)

Jon_W
08-07-10, 08:00 AM
Wow!! Good buy. 8-)

Is that an import one??

Roll_on
08-07-10, 09:16 AM
Very good price bet you can't wait to get it on the road.

jonnydangerous
08-07-10, 09:43 AM
i have taken "Old knackered" CDI's to bits before and performed "Repairs" if its a simple component change (resistor/capacitor etc.....)...

if yours is absolutely knackered then youve got nothing to lose......
cut the box open with a hacksaw blade GENTLY at the plug end, the PCB will be "Potted" in and may be a bit hard to get out, see if there is any evidence of "Scorching" on the PCB and an obviously "Blown" component?

scrape off the potting compound and replace the component.....

if you want to do this, let me know...

JayDee.

Andy63
08-07-10, 01:52 PM
JonW. yes it's a Japanese one I think, twin front discs, stainless exhaust and no VIN just a frame stamp. V5 says it was declared manufactured 1990 but the numbers on it all say it's a 1989 (K year identifier).

Jaydee, yes please mate, if you could sort the CDI that would be awesome, just got a quote for a new one from the bike shop up Canal Road, £589!!!! :o. They did also give me the phone no. of a bike breakers as well though. But if you wanna play with this one be my guest, please [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
08-07-10, 02:01 PM
well, better bring it to a bike meet soon, if im not there you can give it to someone that knows me, it will eventually get to me....unless you live somewhere near tidworth???.......
absolutely no guarantees but worth a go......
i actually repaired a GSX400f one years ago, might be the same as yours (same motor?????).....or is the gsxf motor a sleeved down 600???.......where as yours is a motor shared by?????....

cant break it if its already broke :-)

complexity of job will be reflected in number of kebabs owed at time of completion of job..... ;-)

Andy63
08-07-10, 02:19 PM
As I'm a newby on this forum and don't know anyone I'll have to suss out a meet I can get to. Looks like someone has been trying to desolder/ replace a capacitor in the middle of the board and the case is a wreck but I'll definately try and get it to you. A kebab just to try, and lots if you fix it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
08-07-10, 02:43 PM
With twin discs it's deffo a Jap inport. Much highter spec bikes than the Uk spec ones.

As far as I can remember, the 400 bandit shares it's engine with the GSXR 400. These are very different to the 600/750 engine. Having said that, the CDI unit could still be the same knowing suzuki.

jonnydangerous
08-07-10, 03:03 PM
Looks like someone has been trying to desolder/ replace a capacitor in the middle of the board and the case is a wreck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

if the case wasnt cut open then its probably just damage from when the "cap" popped.........
looks like youve found the fault, although the cap may have popped for a reason...... (charging circuit U.S. and over current situation?)...

replacing the cap could possibly work, seems that i remember the gsxf400 one was the same too......i repaired that one and it lasted 6 months before it did the same....but that might give you time to find an "acceptably priced" one!!!.....

youve lost nothing so far, and now you KNOW that its the CDI at fault, which is good :-)

Andy63
08-07-10, 04:04 PM
Jon W, cool, I'l stat searching to ssee if it is the same one, thanks. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jaydee, guy I got it from said they tried to jump start it with a battery "pack", so I think you're probs right about the overcharge. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
08-07-10, 04:14 PM
the word "goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood" doesnt even come close....hahaha ;-)

Morticia
12-07-10, 05:31 PM
Congrats! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Andy63
13-07-10, 08:53 PM
Hi all, I've come to realise that the people on this forum are the good guys [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Update on the Bandit: CDI unit is in surgery with Dr. Jaydee, thanks to WB express couriers at the Black Horse [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Fork seals have gone :'( Speedo cable fell off at the wheel end :'( Looks like it had rusted right through and then been glued back together :o Rear shock is looking well rusty too. Brake discs are now shiny again. Next week I'll fork out for a battery and charger and maybe the speedo stuff if I can afford/source it, there is a guy breaking two 400 Bandits on the net, hoping he's cheap. Fuel tank is surprisingly together though. Might take longer than I had first hoped to get her on the road but nil desperandem, I'll get there.

Jon_W
14-07-10, 08:06 AM
Good stuff. None of that sounds too bad... the speedo drive is a pain though.

Check to see if there is a ratio difference between the kph and mph speedo drives. Could be a good way of converting the clocks. E-bay may well become your new friend.....

jonnydangerous
14-07-10, 08:34 AM
Update on CDI surgery.....
Left the bloody thing at Home again....
will be repaired next week if thats ok, and be returned via Black Horse Express on friday (that way you can at least see if it runs before you spend UBER Bucks ont he rest of it)....

ta :-)

Andy63
14-07-10, 03:11 PM
JonW, will definately have to look into speedo gear ratio as there are mph stickers on speedo so not sure if duff one is UK or Jap. I'm phoning the breaker I mentioned today to see what he's got & how much etc. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Jaydee, no probs mate. I'll be at the Black Horse Friday [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
14-07-10, 05:09 PM
Just ditch the speedo and put a nice digital one on I picked my up for the supermoto off ebay for about £30 - never actually fitted it tho just had it in place lol

Andy63
14-07-10, 09:07 PM
Stu, do they not need a cable then?

Davey
14-07-10, 09:27 PM
Stu, do they not need a cable then?

Nope they come with a wire and magnet that attaches to the disc, spoke or rim. On my last supermoto i had a cheapy one for a push bike from halfords! Went to 100mph anything over that doesn't matter anyway as if your caught your screwed
http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-/14780/i.html?_nkw=digital+speedo&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksi d=p3286.c0.m282

jonnydangerous
16-07-10, 09:07 AM
CDI update, the CDI has been repaired and recoated!
there seems to be some track damage, but LOOKS like it will be okish....
i will be at the Black Horse tonight and hand it over fella.

ta :-)

Andy63
16-07-10, 11:45 AM
Thanks mate! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I'll see you there, about 7pm. 8-)

Andy63
27-07-10, 03:55 AM
JayDee fixed my ignition, Hoorah! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Thanks again and thanks for your patience.
Carbs were disgusting on the outside :o not too bad on the inside :D Most of the browny yellow sticky gunk washed out with lots of WD40. Paraffin bath next for them! A mate said turps is a good rinser as it doesn't leave a residue, not heard that before, any thoughts?

jonnydangerous
27-07-10, 09:53 AM
if "GOOD" was population per square mile, id be CHINA!!!!!!..... ;-)

Nokesy
27-07-10, 10:03 AM
if "GOOD" was population per square mile, id be CHINA!!!!!!..... ;-)

Aren't other people supposed to say those things about you? ;)

jonnydangerous
28-07-10, 12:35 PM
If "GOOD" was Inbred persons as a percentage of total population....id be "Trowbridge"..... ;-)

joking!!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif].... im not THAT good! hahaha.....