PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn to Wheelie ?

Geordie Stu
23-07-10, 01:24 PM
This idea hatched over a cuppa T in Cafe beamer.

This is purely to explore the possibility of learning to wheelie. Found a school in Blandford so not far to ride.

Cost is £150.00 per day for a maximum of 6 persons per day. However, the more we can book they may be willing to bring the price down. Still in negoiations.

Add your name to the list then I can if interested. As yet no dates finalised
http://www.southcoastwheelies.co.uk/index.html

Monster Man
Dabz
Ninjazx6r

hotdog
23-07-10, 01:58 PM
Went to that school last year or the year before. They're a good bunch but be warned the entire day is spent outdoors... there is no indoors. Tea and coffee are made from the back of a van. It's an exposed place so unless it's sunny it's probably going to be cold and windy. The bikes are knackered which is no surprise as they spend all day having people attempting to pull wheelies on them. No question it's a fun day out but I came away feeling it wasn't worth the £150.00. Perhaps if I'd binned one of the bikes I'd have felt differently :D

The whole day consists of 30 mins instruction on one technique to wheelie (stamp on brake, rev engine, drop clutch) and then the rest of the day trying to do it. Depending on how many sign up for the day will dictate how many goes you get. I recall there were 6 on the day I went, 2 bikes... so 5 mins on the bike, 10 off.

Regards,

jonnydangerous
23-07-10, 02:07 PM
i once had a plan.....
get the same number of people together, all chuck in £100...
buy a KLR600 off of ebay (or similar)
il teach you lot how to wheelie.....

you will then learn a controlled technique, off road, at a much reduced speed (safer) AND......
at the end of it youll own a KLR600 which can be sold on, or used as an offroad tool....

im still willing to teach..............freeish( kebabs gratefully received)... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
23-07-10, 02:08 PM
Went to that school last year or the year before. They're a good bunch but be warned the entire day is spent outdoors... there is no indoors. Tea and coffee are made from the back of a van. It's an exposed place so unless it's sunny it's probably going to be cold and windy. The bikes are knackered which is no surprise as they spend all day having people attempting to pull wheelies on them. No question it's a fun day out but I came away feeling it wasn't worth the £150.00. Perhaps if I'd binned one of the bikes I'd have felt differently :D

The whole day consists of 30 mins instruction on one technique to wheelie (stamp on brake, rev engine, drop clutch) and then the rest of the day trying to do it. Depending on how many sign up for the day will dictate how many goes you get. I recall there were 6 on the day I went, 2 bikes... so 5 mins on the bike, 10 off.

Regards,

Thanks

Dave. Trying to get as many as possible & do a block booking over a couple of days. It does say 6 per day but as a WB group booking may reduce price thats the plan. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
23-07-10, 02:10 PM
the "stamp on the brake and clutch it up is not (in my opinion) the best way of learning........everything happens really fast that way.....as soon as it begins to come up, the reaction will be to shut it off.........and the front wheel comes down....

if you buy the big single cylinder 4 stroke offroader as in my post above il show you a much more controllable technique, in safer conditions........

Dabz
23-07-10, 02:26 PM
that sounds like a plan..even something like a cheap bandit would be pretty robust for taking some WB style abuse!

jonnydangerous
23-07-10, 03:38 PM
sorry, dont want to steal the thread away from Monster Man, just offering an alternative.

the Wheelie day is good for Instant Thrill and photo sessions,with minimal "turn up-wheelie-go home" hastle.
and i do wish Monster man and all others good luck, could be a great day.

like i said, dont want to hijack the post so will start another one.

igbell
23-07-10, 03:54 PM
Not me sorry to say, I like to keep my wheels on the road and stay safe, but you guys carry on.

R1chie
23-07-10, 06:40 PM
This is a quote from a mate of mine who did the southcoast wheelie school a couple of years back.

Myself and two friends did the Blandford school yesterday, so as requested, I'll put a little summary up of how the day went.

The school is run by Neil, a very friendly and seemingly talented stunt rider. He provides Bandit 600s with switches on the back to stop you flipping the bikes. Each two riders share a bike, which to be honest works well as the constant practice is hard on the clutch hand.

I went with the expectation that wheelieing cannot be that hard, and I am bound to be doing 3rd gear monsters by lunchtime. How wrong I was Embarassed

Neil teaches a clutch technique, which is applicable to all bikes and (within power constraints) all speeds. The technique in a nutshell, is to use rear brake to compress the forks whilst timing throttle and dumped clutch to work with the rebounding forks. I found this very, very hard to get my head around and to put it into context, I have a fair few years racing behind me.

I was finding that I was becoming an absolute master at rolling burnouts, but was not managing to get the front wheel up. By the end of the day though, it was definately becoming more consistent and much easier. The kill/flip switches are superb as you can get away with being totally ham fisted.

My only real reservation from the day is that I did not feel that Neil was able to teach particularly well. It was more like reading the technique in a book, then having all the practice facilities made available to try and implement what you have just read. The three of us all found it hard to master, and Neil was not hugely able to explain or teach in a different way. It was a case of him constantly repeating what he had already told us, rather than being able to explain it in a different, more enlightening way.

So bottom line was that it was a great fun day, and by the end of the day I could keep the thing on the back wheel for as far as 1st gear allows. However, do not think that you will ever leave the day as an overnight stunt god, not going to happen.

Despite my eventual ability to loft the front wheel of a Bandit, I did not leave with any confidence that I could do the same on my M1H.

I would recommend the day, and I think I'll probably go back myself for a second go, but I would suggest setting realistic expectations. As Neil himself states on the day, if it were so easy then there would be no need for wheelie schools and that everyone would already be doing it.

Don't think he did go back in the end.

I know a few people who've done the Jimmy Fireblade school who really enjoyed trying to get it up oooooerrrrr

Geordie Stu
23-07-10, 07:59 PM
sorry, dont want to steal the thread away from Monster Man, just offering an alternative.

the Wheelie day is good for Instant Thrill and photo sessions,with minimal "turn up-wheelie-go home" hastle.
and i do wish Monster man and all others good luck, could be a great day.

like i said, dont want to hijack the post so will start another one.

Jaydee.
Dont think for 1 minute your taking the thread away. I am seriuosly considering the option of a bike share once paid out can use it anytime to mess around & practice. If others think the same then we can put the plan into action.

Rather spend £100 on a bike share than a 1 off day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

newnut
23-07-10, 08:19 PM
if your serious about a bike share your gonna really need to think about parts. some one WILL come off learning to wheelie, bit of a bugger if 7 of you just bought the bike, and the person who comes off is the first to ride it and breaks the clutch lever!!!

newnut
23-07-10, 08:31 PM
wheelies are fun and i do recomend goin to a bike wheelie school for a day if your a total novice at wheelies and dont wanna run the risk of dumping your own bike (or a shared one). But then after either are you then willing to risk damaging your bike once you feel you have mastered it? wheelies differ imensly bike to bike.

Morticia
24-07-10, 01:29 PM
I know a girl that used them. She managed to wheelie their bike, has never managed to lift hers though.

Morticia
24-07-10, 01:30 PM
Oh, also, if you ask JB, he's probably most happy to teach you. He doesn't charge and his wheelies are EPIC!

ktm_man
25-07-10, 02:17 PM
I might be up for this, as long as theres definately supplied bikes !

jonnydangerous
26-07-10, 11:13 AM
Oh, also, if you ask JB, he's probably most happy to teach you. He doesn't charge and his wheelies are EPIC!

is he on here too???.... ;-)

yeah, no worries, the shared bike idea is good, so is the "buy a few spares before hand" idea.....
i would also be prepared to show the owners some great tracks across salisbury plain (offroading) and also help with the maintenance too........

i think Monster man should start a list of potential owners...

think Noaksy was interested before when the shared offroader was suggested....

(only one note, a 600cc offroader JUST as an offroader is a big beast....BUT it makes a DAM good wheelie tool)....

spudgun
26-07-10, 12:50 PM
i'd love a lesson, i can get it up, it's just the distance thing i need to learn (run out of revs)

have the ultimate wheelie bike too, KTM supermoto, so no real excuse other than rider knowledge

Nokesy
26-07-10, 12:53 PM
i can get it up, it's just the distance thing i need to learn (run out of revs)

What a brilliant line! ;D I'm sure you're not alone! ;D ;D ;D

On a different note, I'd love to learn to wheelie!!! ;)

Gerry
26-07-10, 12:56 PM
On form today Gemma ! xxx

Kevinb
26-07-10, 01:18 PM
There will be a wheelie machine at the Kings Arms, Hilperton, Nr Trowbridge next Saturday. Details are up in the Black Horse, Trowbridge.
We are going to give it a go.

jonnydangerous
26-07-10, 01:49 PM
theyre really cool, a pivoting bike, with engine, on a roller....allows you to wheelie when not going anywhere :-)
probably the best thing to learn on......
not very good at offroading on tho.... ;-)

Geordie Stu
26-07-10, 02:46 PM
There will be a wheelie machine at the Kings Arms, Hilperton, Nr Trowbridge next Saturday. Details are up in the Black Horse, Trowbridge.
We are going to give it a go.

Kings Arms just over the bridge from me. Not alot of space in the car park. ::)

Kevinb
26-07-10, 05:11 PM
Not quite sure what will be there. A wheelie machine shouldn't take up to much room.

newnut
26-07-10, 05:38 PM
wheelie machines take up about as much room as a trailer. that would be a good thing to learn on! you can watch one in action here..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dLSRhtgy9w

jonnydangerous
28-07-10, 12:34 PM
ive heard a rumour that there will be a lesson by someone on here.....taking place....somewhere near Tidworth.....leaving the Tidworth Petrol Station at 8pm on Friday 30th July......

its just a runour mind you, but if it was true all are welcome..... hint hint ;-)

spudgun
28-07-10, 12:46 PM
Sounds good to me ;)

spudgun
30-07-10, 09:49 PM
Thanks for tonights lesson, lots for me to think about and practice. Need to get bike serviced, played up all the way home :(

CBRowner
31-07-10, 02:53 AM
There's a contraption that bolts to your bike so you can learn to wheelie safely without the fear of a 200kg bike falling on top of you.

I'm sure I've seen it in the back of a bike mag and I think they're only £150. We may need to get Darren at the Sally to buy one for when we're all down the pub on a thursday and charge a few quid a go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Failing that, you could always forget everything you've been taught whilst riding and balls up a 'pullaway' from the lights at high speed cos I find that's a good way to get the front end up :D

Geordie Stu
31-07-10, 09:51 AM

is he on here too???.... ;-)

yeah, no worries, the shared bike idea is good, so is the "buy a few spares before hand" idea.....
i would also be prepared to show the owners some great tracks across salisbury plain (offroading) and also help with the maintenance too........

i think Monster man should start a list of potential owners...

think Noaksy was interested before when the shared offroader was suggested....

(only one note, a 600cc offroader JUST as an offroader is a big beast....BUT it makes a DAM good wheelie tool)....

Interested Owner add name below [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Monster Man

Bornagain
31-07-10, 12:39 PM
Pulled 2 already with my wife on the back (by accident!!) Well the front end got all light and skippy, and that was from just pulling off fast on the clutch.....it was a blur, mind!

Might as well learn what's going on

Monster Man
Basil

Nokesy
31-07-10, 12:54 PM
My main aim would be for off-roading, rather than wheelie-ing so would depend on cost and chosen bike.

Monster Man
Basil
Nokesy

jonnydangerous
02-08-10, 01:44 PM
cool! another two or three people and oull have enough to buy something......

have a look at these two for wheelie toys....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/kawasaki-klr-650-xr-dr-slr-650-dualsport-/310238118287?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem483ba2018f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/yamaha-xt-600-not-xl-xr-twinshock-/230506403173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem35ab409565

and this for just offroading.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-HONDA-XR-250-/290459832677?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem43a0c15165

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-SUZUKI-DR-200-SE-BLUE-WHITE-/190425347049?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=i tem2c563c33e9

spudgun
02-08-10, 02:48 PM
put my name down - no room in the garage for my own enduro bike at the moment

Bornagain
02-08-10, 09:51 PM
Monster Man
Basil
Nokesy
Spudgun

We're getting there!!

njl
03-08-10, 08:59 PM
Hell for £100 I could jump in too. Though as far as wheelying goes in my mind I think I am ok with a traillie (though it's been many years) but road bikes I can't get to grips with

Jon_W
05-08-10, 11:33 AM
Not me sorry to say, I like to keep my wheels on the road and stay safe, but you guys carry on.

Am with above.... the bike was made with two wheels. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
05-08-10, 02:19 PM
might be best to make your own post "who DOESNT want to wheelie" and post on there that you DONT want to learn to wheelie, rather than fill up this thread with "I DONT want to learn to wheelie" on the "Learn to wheelie" thread.............

Bornagain
05-08-10, 10:05 PM
might be best to make your own post "who DOESNT want to wheelie" and post on there that you DONT want to learn to wheelie, rather than fill up this thread with "I DONT want to learn to wheelie" on the "Learn to wheelie" thread.............

Nice one JD
Brilliant (that made me chuckle.....i still am!!) Now lets get some more names down here and buy the bl**dy thing

CBRowner
05-08-10, 10:38 PM
I found the site the does the device to help with wheelies and it's only £130 which is much cheaper than buying a bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://www.wheelieteach.com/

jonnydangerous
06-08-10, 10:13 AM
i like that! might be an option???......cheers fr the link :-)

might be able to put that on the bike that they buy????.....then take it off for offroading.....cool!

CBRowner
06-08-10, 11:15 AM
I thought it would be a good idea for the Sally to buy it for Thursday nights [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

rhys_himself
13-08-10, 11:51 AM
Sorry to dredge an old thread, this is exactly what's on my mind at the moment though!

I can get the front up in pretty much every gear (that's what comes of having a decent supermoto) and wheelie fully through second or third but can't seem to get the balance point or change gear mid wheelie, so I REALLY want to master it :)

If anyone else in Swindon has a similar scratch to itch then let me know ;D

newnut
13-08-10, 11:42 PM
Sorry to dredge an old thread, this is exactly what's on my mind at the moment though!

I can get the front up in pretty much every gear (that's what comes of having a decent supermoto) and wheelie fully through second or third but can't seem to get the balance point or change gear mid wheelie, so I REALLY want to master it :)

If anyone else in Swindon has a similar scratch to itch then let me know ;D

try standing wheelies (most find these easier to learn) and use the back brake, keep it on a bit when u get it up to help find the balance point.

Ryan
14-08-10, 12:04 AM
I've been to that wheelie school (same time as burger / dave / whatever hes calling himself these days) We had a fun day, as he said i wouldnt say its worth 150 quid, JayDee is cra-p at wheeling dont listen to him... jokes, ive seen how long he keeps it up for :-/ its impressive to watch :-? still trying to get to grips myself, just every now and again ripping the throttle back on the blade getting used to it. Whatever you decide to do have fun and be carefull for christs sake, you dont want to end up with 4 broken bones like me ;D

simonm44
16-08-10, 05:38 PM
hey peep!sounds good plan been looking at wheelie school but near silverstone there web site looked pretty good but £200 for the day but could get group rate?not sure on agenda for the day but takes the risk out of binning your own bike its gotta be good [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
17-08-10, 01:51 PM
lessons still available for "Kebab rates" at a secret location near me... ;-)
PM me for details.........

spudgun
17-08-10, 02:25 PM
i'll be back, once i pull my finger out and get the bike serviced 8-)

jonnydangerous
17-08-10, 03:48 PM
youre gonna be changin in no time at all spudgun, you pulled some good long wheelies with the right throttle control :-) just need to now learn the "off, snick a gear, back on" throttle control at a ppoint about half way through the distance you were wheelying... :-)