PDA

View Full Version : Oops......

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:17 AM
Had my first off yesterday :( Hit a patch of diesel in the wet and that was that - tank pretty mashed (new one needed) and front of bike bit iffy but have to say, engine bars and new leathers (well, new to me, but secondhand from e-bay) did exactly what they should [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

I crawled back across the dual carriageaway with little more than a couple of bruises. I have suspected fracture to scaphoid bone but to be honest, they are really overcautious with this tiny little bone as apparently untreated it can cause permanent wrist damage - but no evidence on X-ray so all looking good! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Think Gerry suffered more than me - he is definitely greyer than before ;D

Plan A is to fix bike by Cornwall [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I know 5 days is tight, but we're going to give it a try [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

virginie_morisot
23-08-10, 09:26 AM
oh no, glad you're ok, must have been a fright. where was that? hope you get bike sorted in time, and wrist all good :)
bit scary reminder how easily it can happen..
dropped bike yesterday in mud but was pretty much at standstill by then so just ghently slid off and only had bit of mud and grass and embarrassment... ithink iwas bit tired by then.. lucky ro was there to help pick up ... oh yea back l plate plasctic thing dropped off need to glue it back... small price really!
see you soon :-* xx keep safe

Hazel-nut
23-08-10, 09:28 AM
Hope you're ok!I'm sure someone can take you pillion to Cornwall if you don't manage to get it fixed in time

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:29 AM
We went down to the New Forest to meet up with you guys - but Gerry got his forest's mixed up!! ;D We realised from your text you where in the Forest of Dean instead! ;D

We all drop our bikes - might as well get used to it now! ;) I need to superglue my indicator back on to! ;D

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:30 AM
Hope you're ok!I'm sure someone can take you pillion to Cornwall if you don't manage to get it fixed in time

Plan B is to go by car - but fingers crossed at this stage [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

virginie_morisot
23-08-10, 09:33 AM
all these forest... ;D shame would have been nice to see you.
thanks gemma , yes superglue will be good for the lplate card...
glass of rose on the isle of wight then all going well!
x [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
23-08-10, 09:36 AM
Glad your ok. That's the main thing.

If you need help with the bike, I'm happy to lend a hand.

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:38 AM
Glad your ok. That's the main thing.

If you need help with the bike, I'm happy to lend a hand.

Thank you very much Jon - it's hopefully being 'assessed' later today so will know more then [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
23-08-10, 09:51 AM
Gemma,
Sorry to hear this, If I can help in any way give me a shout as I'm on my hol's this week [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Any day bar Wednesday as I'm taking the kid's to Alton tower's :o

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:53 AM
Gemma,
Sorry to hear this, If I can help in any way give me a shout as I'm on my hol's this week [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks Simon - will post up prognosis later ;D Seat was great by the way - ta! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nico_babe
23-08-10, 09:54 AM
Ah hun, sorry to hear about the off. Its not a nice feeling at all i know. Super glad to hear that you are ok. Climb straight back on and keep your chin up.

xxx

silly_simon
23-08-10, 09:56 AM
Gemma,

Thanks Simon - will post up prognosis later ;D Seat was great by the way - ta! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

You're welcome :)
Are you going thru insurance ?

Nokesy
23-08-10, 09:57 AM
No, only 3rd party fire and theft :(

Sapphire
23-08-10, 10:51 AM
Hi Nokesy, I'm glad to hear you're OK after the off. It just goes to show that the right gear does protect and should be worn at all times no matter how short the journey!

Take care.

jonnydangerous
23-08-10, 11:05 AM
oops! if you and Ger want to bring the tank over, ive repaired petrol tanks before.......
even if they are holed, you two gissa shout if you wannt pop over with the tank, we can fix anything..... :-)

Jacde
23-08-10, 11:21 AM
:o :( :-? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
phew sooooooo good to know you're ok chick! :-*
Poor bike, poor Gerry! ;) poor bone
big hugs {{{ }}}

Nokesy
23-08-10, 11:22 AM
Cheers Jaydee - will be touch when we know what's what [smiley=thumbsup.gif] It's pretty mashed mind :(

Jacde
23-08-10, 11:28 AM
GW's have a bargin basement in their old outlet Gemma, they have bike parts, whether they'd have a tank for your bike or not, worth a look as a last resort maybe?

Nokesy
23-08-10, 11:32 AM
GW's have a bargin basement in their old outlet Gemma, they have bike parts, whether they'd have a tank for your bike or not, worth a look as a last resort maybe?

Sounds like a possiblity [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
23-08-10, 11:33 AM
ouch, glad you're ok Gemma! 5 days to fix the bike is a hell of a challenge but at least you have the Plan B in place!

Nokesy
23-08-10, 12:06 PM
ouch, glad you're ok Gemma! 5 days to fix the bike is a hell of a challenge but at least you have the Plan B in place!

Especially as Gerry's Supra is an automatic and it's my left hand that's splinted!! ;D

AlanMc
23-08-10, 12:10 PM
Glad to here ur ok, bikes can be repaired, but life costs alot more, best of luck for the weekend

BB
23-08-10, 01:49 PM
I can imagine Gerry is a bit greyer if you threw it away in front of him - or vanished from his mirrors! :o

Good to hear you are ok - don't overdo that wrist just to get back on a bike for the weekend ;)

BB

Toph
23-08-10, 02:50 PM
so sorry to hear about your off Gemma. hope you are better very soon. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
23-08-10, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear this gemma, glad your okay thats the main thing [smiley=thumbsup.gif] good luck with the bike!

Lorraine
23-08-10, 06:16 PM
Sorry to hear about ur off Gemma, glad ur ok even tho u have a bad wrist n bruises :(

Take care :)

Nokesy
23-08-10, 06:24 PM
Plan B it is :( Work on bike can probably all be done ourselves and fellow friendly WB's who have offered up their kind help, but not by Friday and to be honest, I'd be a bit silly to try and ride with suspected fracture and splint ;D

Disappointed not to be riding, but still looking forward to Cornwall [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Last Train
23-08-10, 06:28 PM
Oooh Ouch...

Delighted you're ok

:)

virginie_morisot
23-08-10, 06:52 PM
best t be safe, hope you 're fully recovered very soon :-* :)

Bonnielass
23-08-10, 06:54 PM
Oh Gemma! I'm so sorry to hear about your off but so glad you're ok! What a shame it had to happen now.

There may be a space in the van as Caz has been offered pillion with Greame, worth an ask!!

Bonnielass
23-08-10, 06:56 PM
At least congratulations on going Platinum!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nicko@able
23-08-10, 07:50 PM
ohh bollacks,that diesel is NASTY stuff,glad you are ok. :'(

JAYJAY
23-08-10, 08:12 PM
Oh Heck!!
Glad it hasn't put you off tho'. Gotta be careful on the 1st rain til it's washed off all the deisel, oil, windsreen wash etc left by 'other' road users.
Good to hear that You aren't badly damaged - hope the wrist gets better real fast. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
23-08-10, 08:12 PM
Gutted to hear your bad news, but as already stated you are ok and that's the main thing. Give your injury time to mend and have a great time in cornwall.

Caz
23-08-10, 08:21 PM
Hi Gemma, popped in to see Gerry on way passed just to ask him about dropping camping stuff off and he showed me your bike. I was so shocked but so relieved you were not seriously hurt :o I hope your bones and bruises heal quickly but dont rush to get on bike too soon.

Really glad you are still going to Cornwall plan A B or C :)

CBRowner
23-08-10, 08:26 PM
I'm glad you're OK Gemma, shame about the bike but your life's more important and I'm sure there are loads of people on here willing to help.

I'd help if I was there because I could have lent you that BMW with side car for the trip ;D

Snowy
23-08-10, 08:42 PM
Blimey Gemma - glad you're OK.

RachaelEllen
23-08-10, 08:56 PM
That's a bit of a stark reminder how easy it is even for experienced riders to come off *gulp* Glad you're in one piece, just remember you're far more important than the bike! Take care, we need you fighting fit for the isle of wight trip ;D

jaagsxr
23-08-10, 10:05 PM
hi gemma sorry too hear of your off if you need a hand fixin it we will have a rebuild non hog roast party ????!!!!!!! :)

Gerry
23-08-10, 11:04 PM
Was a bit of a fright, it was coming off a big roundabout at Cadnam in the rain and I remember my front twitching as I accelerated onto the dual carriageway. Glanced in my mirror and saw a glimpse of Gemma’s light moving in a funny direction, I think the bike was probably moving sideways on the ground at that stage but couldn’t see because of the rain and the curve in the road.

I slowed up and waited for her to catch up, but she didn’t !
The following three / four minutes as I blatted up the dual carriageway, round another roundabout and back the other way were really bad. At that stage I knew she must be off.
Saw all the traffic backed up and her sat on the ground being comforted by a motorist.

I nearly finished up in the hedge doing a quick stop on the grass verge next to her, funny now, but not then. She was more worried about her bike than herself, but apart from her wrist, knee and elbow seemed OK.
Sorted out the bikes and after a while walked to a pub a couple of hundred yards away to sort stuff out.
Looking at the road, there was a number of “rainbow” diesel / oil patches in the wet road where she lost it.
I did a blat back home to get a van leaving her at the pub drinking gallons of tea, and back to her, pick the bike up and then the A&E dept at Salisbury for a couple of hours.

Bikes a bit bashed, but working and don’t think twisted.
Gemma’s a bit bashed, but working and no more twisted than usual !

Ride carefully folks, especially in the wet.
It’s not just you, you need to think about, it’s the people who love you as well.

G

Jacde
23-08-10, 11:49 PM
I slowed up and waited for her to catch up, but she didn’t !
The following three / four minutes as I blatted up the dual carriageway, round another roundabout and back the other way were really bad.

Ride carefully folks, especially in the wet.
It’s not just you, you need to think about, it’s the people who love you as well.

G

Oooh I think a group hug is called for :-*

HensonA
24-08-10, 12:19 AM
Gemma, soooo glad to hear that you're not seriously injured and that you'll be OK to get down to Cornwall.

Have a fantastic weekend with the great company going down and take care of that wrist.
(2010 really is becoming the year of the OFFS for us WB'ers !!!)

Hope to see you and Gerry soon. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ade

Bornagain
24-08-10, 10:10 AM
Sorry for the bad news Gemma. Sounds like it's all fixable and glad you're on the mend.
Have a cracker down in Cornwall......try not to fall over and do the other wrist!!! Stranger things have happened, as soon as i've had a few beers my dip gyro goes and the floor becomes my friend!!
Take care and wish you a speedy recovery
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DaytonaDog
24-08-10, 02:04 PM
Gem

Sorry to hear about your off, but important thing is YOU are ok.

As I quote often at rta's I go too, its a bit of metal which can be replaced, whereas you can't.

I came off last September having got a bend wrong, so it happens to us all. Fortunately like you I was wearing my leathers. Just shows how important they are. Still got some lovely bruises to show for it though:

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/Sauners/Motorcycle%20Stuff/10217_125837559754_564629754_2448097_6674549_s.jpg

Take your time to recover, but make sure you get back on the bike as soon as you are fit to do so.

See you at the weekend.......

silly_simon
24-08-10, 02:16 PM
Gemma’s a bit bashed, but working and no more twisted than usual !

G

Ouch I think someones gonna get a thump :D

Roll_on
24-08-10, 02:18 PM
So sorry to hear about your off Gemma but glad you are ok well almost. If you need a new tank I have lots of contacts let me know year and model and I'll see what I can find. Sounds its better to do Cornwall by car I'm sure you will still enjoy it rest and get well soon.

Gerry
24-08-10, 02:43 PM
Had a proper look at the bike lunchtime.
Fairly bashed but could have been a lot worse.
Bearing in mind I'm definately not a mechanic, it looks like:
1, TANK BADLY DENTED
2, HANDLE BARS BENT
3, SCREEN BROKEN
4, RHS INDICATOR BROKEN
5, BRAKE CYLINDER DAMAGED
6, SPEEDO CLUSTER MOUNT BROKEN *
7, FRONT BRAKE LEVER DAMAGED *
8, ENGINE BARS DAMAGED *
9, REAR FOOT PEG DAMAGED *
* MINOR DAMAGE

The bike started OK and in the 1/2 mile I very slowly rode it it seemed OK.
Looking at tanks, front brake cylinder and handle bars for sale at the mo.
Does anybody know if bars can be straightened, they look to be bent about 2" out of line (which is what caused the damage to the tank).

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit Mk2 (2000-2005)

Thanks for offers of help all.

Cheers
Gerry

Jon_W
24-08-10, 03:48 PM
Will take a look at the bars if you like. Am in Trow.

Failing that, buy aftermarket ones. Will be cheaper than O/E

You will need to check wheel alignment and the headstock for play. Also check that the forks are straight.

silly_simon
24-08-10, 03:50 PM
Are the bar's actually bent ? It may be the fork's have twisted in the yoke's :-/

Jon_W
24-08-10, 03:54 PM
Good point. Forgot that one.

The cure is to put the front wheel between your legs and yank the bars round till the yokes re-align.

Gerry
24-08-10, 04:16 PM
Deffinately the bars (the forks look OK but will get them checked).

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Bandit%20GSF600/IMG_6378.jpg

The rest:
http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/Simpsons1979/Bandit%20GSF600/

As you say, after market are cheaper and easy to get.

Cheers
G