PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor...

Scotty
20-08-10, 04:24 PM
I was annoyed to read an article in the local free paper recently so felt compelled to write to them this afternoon..

"Sir,

I read an article recently in The Advertiser (dated 27 July 2010) where on page 6 the large headline states “Biker rode past railway red light” in true gutter-press sensationalist style. So what if he did? The entire article focuses on this one motorcyclist, detailing his name and approximate address (useful for anyone wishing to locate a motorcycle to steal) and spends ten paragraphs detailing his misdemeanour, whilst mentioning in passing in the first paragraph that he was one of six road users caught that day. Why didn’t the article cover all six offenders equally, giving all their names and addresses? Surely “Six caught crossing railway red light” would have been a far more proportionate headline? No, not in the eyes of your sensationalist news desk and editorial team. Tell me why a motorcyclist committing an offence is far more newsworthy than five car drivers doing the same thing? If this typifies a narrow-minded and bigoted outlook on the part of the Newbury Weekly News publishing group then be assured that I will never buy any of your publications.

Maybe I should copy this email to the news desk of Motor Cycle News and you’ll be the subject of a vitriolic witch-hunt by their extremist editorial team? If you don’t like that, then you’ll know what it’s like to be a motorcyclist and be on the receiving end of negative sensationalist press at every opportunity.

Yours..."

I'll keep you posted as to any response, and may just send this to More Crap than News to see what kind of a hornet's nest it stirs up... ::)

Dabz
20-08-10, 04:59 PM
great response :D

Fletch
20-08-10, 04:59 PM
Do it! I hate the way that bikers are looked at and stereotyped by ignorant people.

Do you have an online copy of the said article?

Uber Dave
20-08-10, 07:23 PM
Well said Sir! I cant wait to see their response to that!

On a side note, maybe Star can help (been she works in the Law field) what legal stance does the rider in question have against the paper in them naming and giving out his address? I would hazard a guess that if they picked him out of the 6 then there is a case for slander?

redken1
20-08-10, 08:45 PM
As Dabz said, an excellent response. Hits the proverbial nail square on the head. I suspect however, that the editor of the said rag may find your submission too close to the truth to publish. As bikers I believe we should always meet anti-biking in any guise, head on.

redken1
20-08-10, 08:54 PM
Well said Sir! I cant wait to see their response to that!

On a side note, maybe Star can help (been she works in the Law field) what legal stance does the rider in question have against the paper in them naming and giving out his address? I would hazard a guess that if they picked him out of the 6 then there is a case for slander?

I am not a lawyer but my understanding is, If the rider was convicted of passing through the red light, the press are entitled to publish his/her name and address. The big question is: Why did the said rag omit the names of the other five offenders.?

wiltshire builders
20-08-10, 10:47 PM
When the Gazette does anything about biker meets it always ends with them saying "and there wasn't any trouble". Yeah coz we're all law breaking badasses with black widow tats.

A few years ago my brother-in law and I caught a junkie who had broken into a house and made threats to kill the owner. The gazette came round, took some pics and a brief interview which was in the next edition along with our names and addresses! I couldn't believe it. This guy had "made in england" Tattood on his forehead and a record as long as your arm. I slept with one eye open for a few nights after that.
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/archive/2002/01/17/Wiltshire+Archive/7360833.Man_in_police_chase_tackled_by_builders/

Morticia
24-08-10, 07:30 PM
If I had a penny every time someone was bikist to me, I'll be loaded by now!