PDA

View Full Version : I am still alive!

ZZR600Dude
29-08-10, 09:34 PM
Had a crash with a car reversing round a corner on the way to Cornwall on the WB trip. Ended up in the Royal Devon And Exeter Hospital with dislocated hip and smahed up bike. I didnt get the car reg and the paramedic cut off all my leathers and I dont have leathers insurance. Oh and either the ambulance crew or the A & E managed to loose my gloves.
Bikes now carted off to a compound somewhere on Dartmoor.

Good thing is they reckon I shall make a full revovery in about 6 weeks. I stiill have my waterproof bike gear.

I have a few doubts about biking now but I am determined not to let this beat me and will be hopefully riding with you guys again soon.

AND DONT DRINK ALL MY BEER YOU LOT!

:( :( :(

silly_simon
29-08-10, 09:38 PM
Very sorry to hear that mate :(

Glad youre not to beat up, I take it you are back home now [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Chin up mate
best wishes

virginie_morisot
29-08-10, 09:40 PM
sorry to hear that, glad you're ok and wish you good recovery :)

ZZR600Dude
29-08-10, 09:45 PM
I am back home on crutches. As long as I take it easy I should recover fully.
Really miss being with the WB crew down in Cornwall, one minute really enjoying my self just before emerging from the forest road on to the moor, next second lying on my back wondering what happened.
Gutted about all my leatehrs being cut off but guess the A&E crew had ton make sure all OK with me.
I cant drive let alone ride now for 6 weeks.

Stupid accident really, 35-40 mph blind corner. Car in front meets other car and reverses up to let him pass, I see the reverse lights and panic skiding into wall.

I really hope I can keep riding and doubts dont creep in.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
29-08-10, 09:48 PM
Just keep thinking positive thoughts mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
At the end of the day from what you describe there wasn't a great deal you could do about it, so DON'T blame yourself :)

Geordie Stu
29-08-10, 09:52 PM
Oh Dude sorry to hear about your accident.

Don't let this put you off. Rest up take things easy you will ride again [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

speedy
29-08-10, 09:57 PM
glad your ok paul did txt you earlyer, will see you soon.

Honda_Star
29-08-10, 10:00 PM
Really to sorry to hear that - glad you are ok ..

Were you out riding with others from WB - did anyone see it happen? Did the guy drive off???

Hope you don't ache too much tomorrow :-/

Jacde
29-08-10, 10:04 PM
Blimey :o thank goodness you are ok, not so good :( about your leathers and bike (and beer, that lot are bound to drink it for you ;D ;D)
get yourself recovered and bounce back onto a bike, sounds like accident could have happened to any road user, ok if you were in a car damage to yourself might not have been so serious, but that's life :-?

HensonA
29-08-10, 10:11 PM
Paul, really sorry to hear about your accident.

Hope your recovery goes weel and that over the next few weeks you can find some positive thoughts about getting back on a bike sometime.

Like Simon said, you couldn't have done too much about it.

Ade

bobf279
29-08-10, 10:12 PM
get well soon matey

Lorraine
29-08-10, 11:12 PM
sorry to hear about ur accident :(

get well soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mas1
30-08-10, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident :( Hope you get back on the bike soon :)

smellygerm
30-08-10, 07:47 AM
get well soon dude there's plenty of people on the forum to help if you feel any doubts or need anything just ask [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
30-08-10, 01:35 PM
glad to hear you're OK considering chief. Any news on the bike?

Angel
30-08-10, 01:51 PM
Glad you are ok and home dude..
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]get better soon

Pirate
30-08-10, 02:02 PM
Paul Glad to hear from you mate ! wishing you a speedy recovery and dont let this put you off , just think of all the good times and the next years france trip ;)

Si
30-08-10, 03:45 PM
Glad you are home mate. Felt a bit helpless stood over you while you were in the hedge row!! Cant beleive how fast all the services turned up! I have some pics of your bike if you want them just in case the insurance company need anything. It was the least I could do whilst you were being sorted. PM me your email address mate and Ill send em over!

At least you can tell everyone that you've high sided a bike before! ;)

As everyone else says mate, chin up and positive thoughts! Hope to see you up and about soon!

rich1988
30-08-10, 04:02 PM
Good to hear your ok, Was looking foward to chatting to you there as well! We were all thinking of you as well so you dont have to worry that we forgot about you!

As far as riding goes my advice is as soon as you are able physically to ride just get back on the bike and do it, I have had 2 offs so far, (only one serious, flew over a hedge row into a hedge landing on my head) you soon regain your confidence, but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to actually get back on.

any idea who to contact with regards to getting your bike back?

Roxy
30-08-10, 04:21 PM
Paul

Good to hear you are still with us mate. I did text you last night to see how you were as the hospital would only say you had been discharged :-/ but your post on here answered my question.

That road was a peach of a road but it was a twisty and narrow one, shame you didn't get to enjoy the rest of the weekend and I am not sure if your beer survived the trip either but you will have to ask the beer monsters in the group as I am purely a teapot!

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate.

Roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DaytonaDog
30-08-10, 04:37 PM
Paul

Glad to hear you are back home safe and well. I can only echo the senitments of what has already been posted before me about getting back on a bike.

The police officer that attended should have taken the details of the other vehicle and driver as it is a recordable accident. If you contact Devon and Cornwall police, they willl be able to give you the details of the officer that attended. If he is doing his job properly he should be contacting you. Any probs pm me and I'll do some chasing up for you.

Don't worry about getting your kit. Dabz is going to keep in his garage and I'll collect it when I go to collect mine. I've got you mobile and landline so will contact you to arrange drop off.

Get well soon buddy.

Ryan
30-08-10, 06:45 PM
Glad to hear your alright paul, we was all thinking about you and had a drink in your honour [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I dident know it was anything to do with the other car untill we got to the campsite :-?

I think your beer is still on the van! as for getting back on a bike do it when you feel ready mate, there plenty more years of trips away for the weekend so dont worrie.

Speedy recovery mate, cya soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
30-08-10, 07:04 PM
Glad to hear you're ok mate, I was gutted to find out about the accident...we were sat miles away having gone the wrong way :p we all missed you this weekend..the beer is safe now in my garage :) speedy recovery mate!

pilninggas
30-08-10, 07:05 PM
Whatever you do, don't try to rush your recovery - you'll regret it in the long run.

Get well soon.

Hazel-nut
30-08-10, 07:20 PM
glad to hear you're ok and home safe again and it was only a dislocated hip!we all thought it was a broken pelvis from what we heard! in a way its probly good you went into a wall rather than the car if it was reversing otherwise you would be adding to the speed you were already going!
your beer is definitly safe and your kit is still all dry and clean :P
hope this hasnt knocked your confidence too much but like everyone already said, dont rush the recovery or you might make it worse!

ZZR600Dude
30-08-10, 07:21 PM
Thanks Guys,

I have decided that I shall definiely be riding again as soon as I can.
I have been told not to drive (or ride) for 6 weeks so shall try and recover in that time. I dont know what condition my bikes in, I just know that a garage from Crewkern (think that how you spell it) recovered the bike and its in a compound there. Insurance company will assess damage later this week. Did anyone see the bike after, I caught a glimpse of it as it was being wheeled past me and it looked worse for wear. I am hoping that the insurance company gives me a reasonable amount to get something similar, but I doubt it. I know your not supposed to brake on corners and the instructors would say apply the brakes in a steady fashion and release if you feel the wheels locking, well YEAH this all goes out the window when you have 1 second to decide what to do when you encounter a car reversing towards you as you round a corner. I was thinking if ABS may of helped (my bike doesnt have it). Does any one have ABS their bike and if so do you reckon it would have made any difference? Maybe if my bikes a write off I shall think about that. Anyone know of second hand bikes around £5000 with ABS. I know the new fire blades have ABS but probably too expensive and ZZR1400 have it too but think my ZZR600 was fast enough.

Oh the other thing I was going to going to mention;
Looks like the bike went down on on my ankle but the boots protected it totally not a scratch on my ankle, brilliant boots. The only down side is the anti twist action of the boots meant that some thing had to give in my body and got a displaced hip (Ouch) but they did manage to pop it back in. I think a crushed foot would have been worse.

Decided that biking is the best think I in life and I will definately be riding agin with you guys as soon as I can

Paul

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

rich1988
30-08-10, 07:30 PM
good to hear you havent been put off paul :). the bike didnt look 'too' bad from the pictures levers on both sides broken, fairing damage and scratching to the exhaust seems about the extent of it. they will more than likely write it off but it will give you a chance to choose something new which is always good fun!

ZZR600Dude
30-08-10, 07:45 PM
Did any actually see the crash?

I think I know what happened but as they say the mind can play tricks on you.

If any one did please PM me (dont post it on the public forum)

thanks

Paul

newnut
30-08-10, 09:01 PM
hey there buddy. glad your ok. hope you feel well enuff to hop on a bike soon.

Jus a little note regarding the abs you questioned. rest assure that had you of had abs then you would still be where you are now. seeing as you low sided the bike (going by an earlier statement) you were already past the point of no return on the lean angle in the slide, releasing the breaks would on done nothing and if it had (be it you or the abs when they came back on it could of resulted in a highside which is 99 times out of 100 worse! ABS aids in straight line breaking IF and thats IF you have accidently over cooked it on the breaks. they are a safty addition in that case and shouldnt be seen as a gizmo to help you leave breaking till later. hope that helps.

ZZR600Dude
30-08-10, 09:15 PM
hey there buddy. glad your ok. hope you feel well enuff to hop on a bike soon.

Jus a little note regarding the abs you questioned. rest assure that had you of had abs then you would still be where you are now. seeing as you low sided the bike (going by an earlier statement) you were already past the point of no return on the lean angle in the slide, releasing the breaks would on done nothing and if it had (be it you or the abs when they came back on it could of resulted in a highside which is 99 times out of 100 worse! ABS aids in straight line breaking IF and thats IF you have accidently over cooked it on the breaks. they are a safty addition in that case and shouldnt be seen as a gizmo to help you leave breaking till later. hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Incidentally I have later found out that I did infact high side the bike in spectacular fashion even though I initially though I low sided it. The bike damage kind of proved the fact with damage to both side of the bike.

Talking of ABS (and I do take your earlier point on board) does any one have any experience of the FireBlades 'combined' ABS, does it work or is it just a gimic?

:)

silly_simon
30-08-10, 09:32 PM
If it is anything like the VFR800 V-Tec system then yes mate it work's and work's very well [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It sort of "balance's" the bike under braking, If that makes sense :-?

To be honest the VFR thinking about it would be a great contender for a replacement IMHO [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KP
30-08-10, 09:42 PM
Paul,

glad your on the mend mate,,we had a few for you, so not to worry there,look forward to seeing you out and about as soon as your up to it. speedy recovery .

RedSoul
30-08-10, 09:47 PM
Hey Paul
Glad your injuries are not as bad as feared..get well soon.

Last Train
30-08-10, 09:56 PM
See you out and about soon 'Dude

:)

6T
30-08-10, 10:07 PM
hope you make a speedy recovery paul and get back on your bike when you feel ready to [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
30-08-10, 10:31 PM
Glad your not too badly damaged guv. Real bummer. Hope your up and about soon fella. Next time.....can you buy some decent beer please. Didnt fancy that muck at all. If you had bought some real ale i would have looked after it for you ;) Get well soon chap

Beamer
30-08-10, 10:36 PM
It was good news when we all heard you had been discharged etc.... hope you make a speedy recovery..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
30-08-10, 10:38 PM
Really sorry about the "off". Hope you're out and about soon.

Bonnielass
31-08-10, 08:33 AM
Glad you're ok Paul, get well soon! Get back on the bike asap! It could have been any one of us that came round that corner at that time so definitely not your fault! Looking froward to seeing you out and about soon!

Kevinb
31-08-10, 08:41 AM
Get well soon & get back on a bike as soon as you can.

Bornagain
31-08-10, 06:05 PM
Speedy recovery buddy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
31-08-10, 09:52 PM
Hi Paul I was so shocked when I heard about your accident but relieved when I heard that you had been discharged - so could have been a lot worse gulp! Rosie is right in what she said that it could have been any of us.

I dont know how I would feel in your situation but you got a lot of friends wishing you well and hope you keep riding. Get better soon mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

JAYJAY
31-08-10, 10:00 PM
Really bad luck mate. Sounds like there wasn't much you could do about it - hope you get the info to claim on the car insurance then you claim for the leathers as well!!

Hope you mend quickly and riding again soon

Jon_W
01-09-10, 08:11 AM
Ohh... Just read this. Nasty!! Glad to hear your on the mend.

Don't think there was a lot you could have done. As you say, wearing the right kit saves more serious injuries. Get well soon, and get back on a bike!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
01-09-10, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a lucky escape Paul given the state we were told you were in - leg all twisted etc... I had to laugh when told they had cut one leg of your leathers off and then asked if it was OK to cut the the other one! ;D Think you said something along the lines of... well, they're no fecking use now are they! ;D Bit of a silly question from the paramedic if you ask me! ;D

Wishing you a very speedy recovery - was looking forward to meeting you so hopefully see you soon! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ryan
01-09-10, 07:01 PM
Glad your healing up matey, take your time theres no rush to get back out, i know what its like tho 5 weeks without biking drove me mad.. well more mad than i already am ;)

Have you heard if the bikes a writeoff yet? seemed both footpegs were snapped off and it was batterd up, hope you get a good payout and get another machine you will be happy with. easy mate.. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
02-09-10, 05:58 PM
If it is anything like the VFR800 V-Tec system then yes mate it work's and work's very well [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It sort of "balance's" the bike under braking, If that makes sense :-?

To be honest the VFR thinking about it would be a great contender for a replacement IMHO [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
VFR sounds good, anyone else think of a good replacement for my ZZR600 which I really loved. Would like some thing with ABS this time round.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pirate
04-09-10, 09:02 PM
Try a ZX10 matey ! ;)