PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want a tourer after this weekend??

Dabz
30-08-10, 07:35 PM
My wrists are agony after today's ride up from the other end of Cornwall! Mar1k is off to test ride an fj soon, I want an ST (tho cant afford one yet), ninjazx6r wants something more comfy...

Ouch ouch ouch :p

ZZR600Dude
30-08-10, 07:42 PM
want to buy a ZZR600?

;D ;D ;D

Roxy
30-08-10, 08:22 PM
bunch of lightweights.....!

Angel
30-08-10, 08:24 PM
pmsl

rich1988
30-08-10, 08:25 PM
nope, would swap the sports bike for a tourer any time, sore neck arms and back let you know you are riding !

Dabz
30-08-10, 08:31 PM
I have weak wrists :p

Angel
30-08-10, 08:35 PM
Defo time for a change then guys, Years ago I did ride Sports bikes but due to screwed knees that is the reason for my style bike I have now.

But I have been looking at a Big Crusier tourer bike aswell [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
30-08-10, 08:35 PM

:o :o

Dabz, do you really want me to answer that statement? lol

Roxy (sports bikes forever)

Angel
30-08-10, 08:39 PM

More exercise required then dude ;) ;D

ZZR600Dude
30-08-10, 08:40 PM
want to buy a ZZR600?

;D ;D ;D
OK my ZZR600 is smashed up but on a more serious note I rode to South West Ireland on it and across Northern France and it was superb. No back ache arm ache nothing. Its more sports tourer than plain tourer. Great mile eater in real comfort and if you feel the urge its powerful enough to play with DB9s on French motor ways.

I couldnt really fault the bike.

:(

bobf279
30-08-10, 08:54 PM
My Deauville is wonderful for the longer rides, nice and comfy

silly_simon
30-08-10, 09:08 PM
bunch of lightweights.....!

LOL we are all not as young as we used to be Roxy :P :P :D :D ;D ;D

Well I'm certainly not anyway :(

Dabz
30-08-10, 09:34 PM

Shh you :p

igbell
30-08-10, 09:39 PM
why do you think I bought a vfr??
It has power but also has comfort, Jo even loved it on the back all the way to the south of france.

Mark_Able
31-08-10, 09:23 PM

Stop leaning on your wrists then... ::) Seriously, clamp your legs against the tank and use your back to support some of your bodyweight, instead of leaning on your wrists. Try sitting on your bike taking up your normal riding position, then without moving the rest of your body, let go of the handlebars. You can keep yourself in the same position if you let your back take some of the strain... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
31-08-10, 09:45 PM
great advice, thanks Mark - I'll try that next time I get on the bike...it's quite an upright position compared to other bikes so it's more likely to be me taking too much weight on my wrists

rich1988
31-08-10, 09:51 PM
sort of related, whats the thing called that locks the throttle on sort of like cruise control ?

amills
31-08-10, 10:03 PM
Plastic clip !

Just a piece of round shaped plastic that clips on throttle but only rotates one way (clockwise if looking at throttle side on).

Cost me a fiver at BMF show. There brilliant.

Aaron

Bornagain
31-08-10, 10:19 PM
Me? ......... Neveeeeeeeeeeeeeer!
I'm just having too much fun. Head down ,ass up all the way!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
31-08-10, 10:22 PM
Oops ......in a non sexual context, i might add. ;D

Scotty
31-08-10, 10:27 PM
Sports bikes are fine Dabz, just don't try riding them at less than 80mph! ;) I did about 530 miles this weekend and most of it was fine, but the last bit from Shaftesbury back to Marlborough quite steady and I was in agony, made an effort to grip the frame with my knees and take the weight off my wrists (like Mark described) and it helped to an extent, but the best way to alleviate it was to cane the bike back the last eight miles or so - much better... 8-)

freddieb
31-08-10, 10:28 PM
No, get yourself a ST, ;D ;D SIMPLES !! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

virginie_morisot
31-08-10, 10:31 PM
Me? ......... Neveeeeeeeeeeeeeer!
I'm just having too much fun. Head down ,ass up all the way!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nice one Basil, so glad i checked post on here before going to bed, always bring a smile to my face ;D ;D ;D
see you soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif] might try and make it to your meet frday

Bornagain
31-08-10, 10:33 PM
Yeah...like that one in ya profile picture...looks like a slow comfortable ride!! :o :D....Safe as well, what with them airbags [smiley=happy.gif]

Bornagain
31-08-10, 10:36 PM
Sorry Vivi, that post was for Freddie's comment! I haven't figured out how to "quote" posts yet......These bloody infernal computers......Im sure i'm a born again Luddite! ;)

HensonA
01-09-10, 12:28 AM
Sorry Vivi, that post was for Freddie's comment! I haven't figured out how to "quote" posts yet......These bloody infernal computers......Im sure i'm a born again Luddite! ;)

Basil....there's a "Quote" box in the top right corner of every post on any thread.
Just click on "Quote" in the posting you want to quote and the posting automatically appears at the start of the message box you type your comments in !!!

..Ade

Bornagain
01-09-10, 09:43 AM

Basil....there's a "Quote" box in the top right corner of every post on any thread.
Just click on "Quote" in the posting you want to quote and the posting automatically appears at the start of the message box you type your comments in !!!

..Ade

Blody hell, that was easy! cheers Ade ;)

Roll_on
01-09-10, 10:38 AM

I will remind you of that in about 15 years time. :)

Ryan
01-09-10, 06:56 PM
lol i broke my wrist and shoulder 5 weeks ago and did have a few moments of uncomfortness, but i wouldnt sell my sportsbike for beans ;)

Morticia
01-09-10, 11:52 PM
My gixxer is uncomfortable, granted, but I love it too much to exchange it for a tourer! I want a Buell or a Triple next anyway...

Geordie Stu
02-09-10, 10:12 AM
Love Sports Bikes. Had a Gixxer. Having just as much fun maybe more on my Z750. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
02-09-10, 10:47 AM
Well, get an FJ1200, they're great!

Bullet proof engines (I have 2 fj's one has 32k miles on it, so need to finish running it in, and the other has 65k miles on it, so it's finally finished running in), spot on owners club with it's own workshop with good rates and cheap parts(about 30 mins from the sally as it goes, and very handy if you have no clue and no confidence in your own mechanical abilities!), nice and comfortable for rider and for pillion also, can take a **** load of weight, so loading up your camping kit is a doddle, and even when fully loaded and 2 up, it pulls like a train, and suprisingly good in the bends for a big heavy bike!

You can pick up a good one for about £1000 (probably less), a very good one for £1500, so if you like your sports bike, then get an FJ as a second bike and use if for touring only!

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the single greatest thing about riding your own FJ is that you will look as great as I do!

Nuff said!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
02-09-10, 11:15 AM

I think the single greatest thing about riding your own FJ is that you will look as great as I do!

Nuff said!

;D

Oh dear.... have you considered selling Yam that one as a sales pitch..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
02-09-10, 12:37 PM
I've no idea what dabz is babbling on about. I was lovely and comfy.....on my FJR with the big seat, upright position, heated grips, glove compartment....need i go on? ;)

Hunar
02-09-10, 01:12 PM

Nuff said!

;D

Oh dear.... have you considered selling Yam that one as a sales pitch..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

They didn't offer enough money!

jonnydangerous
02-09-10, 02:12 PM
nah.......sports bikes all the way :-)
get there three hours quicker, alive! and lay on the ground moaning how old/knackered you feel until just before the tourers arive....then get up (gritting teeth) and pretend everything is ok.....

just like me :-)

Dabz
03-09-10, 08:53 AM
ok change of plans...after riding Kev's ninja to the sally last night it's sports bikes all the way - 675 for me when funds allow :D

Jon_W
03-09-10, 11:54 AM
Tourers all the way.

Go slower, see the scenery you are travelling through, arrive fresh and comfortable.

And if you should be required, a bit of quick riding is not beyond the tourers capabilities.

redken1
03-09-10, 01:28 PM
get there three hours quicker, alive! and lay on the ground moaning how old/knackered you feel until just before the tourers arive....then get up (gritting teeth) and pretend everything is ok.....

On longer trips the tourers are there before the sports bikes because they have to keep stopping for fuel. Got a Fazer thou cos you get sportsbike performance and all day comfort.

ZZR600Dude
03-09-10, 03:31 PM

I love sports bikes too, however re. 'get there three hours quicker, alive'

think you will find that statisticaly sports bikes end up in more crashes

:)

Scotty
03-09-10, 05:03 PM

I love sports bikes too, however re. 'get there three hours quicker, alive'

think you will find that statisticaly sports bikes end up in more crashes

:)
That's because, statistically speaking Paul, there are lots more sports bikes than tourers on the roads. :P

Sure, when I travelled steadily towards the end of Monday's ride-out a tourer or upright bike would have been far more comfortable, but that was the last 40-odd miles of a 550-mile weekend and a tourer would have been pants for the rest of it ;)

We all ride bikes for different reasons, but I like to have a bike that gives me wood when I open the garage door, and there ain't a tourer in the world that can manage that I'm afraid.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Mark_Able
03-09-10, 09:33 PM
I'd like a Goldwing to ride to the Scottish Highlands, and an R1 when I get there... [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
04-09-10, 08:35 AM
Scotty, i've got a skip and 2 garages full of bloody wood, it's all yours mate if you want it!!

(Regarding the "other" wood......i'm picking up my new bike today!)

;D

Jon_W
07-09-10, 01:29 PM
I'd like a Goldwing to ride to the Scottish Highlands, and an R1 when I get there... [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Put the R1 on a trailer and tow it with the Goldwing!!! Best of both!! :D