PDA

View Full Version : Bloody DVLA

CBRowner
02-08-10, 09:01 PM
After months and months of trying to get my bike sorted, I'm now left with the problem of not even having a valid licence!!!

As some of you know, I had a Gibraltarian Licence because that was where I did my motorbike test as well as some others but I sent my licence to them a few weeks ago, because you have to when you've been here a year, and when they sent it back I found that the only thing I have on the licence is cars!!

So, unless DVLA sort it, I'm now going to have to sit my dreaded bike test before I can go for rides and I need to do my B+E before I can go to Jonnyflame's place to pick up my bike.

I'm fumming with the morons now, especially as it means I've been riding for the past month without bike or trailer on my licence >:(

I may need to change my name to CBRpolisher or Bikersb*tch :'(

JAYJAY
02-08-10, 09:07 PM
What sh*tty luck

I saw someting about this on TV a few weeks ago - you are not alone!!
I think it was on watchdog - complain seriously - ask for the license you sent them back!

There is also an ombudsman I think. Do a search and see which one suits - you should get the address on line. The only stipulation is that you give them the opportunity to recify THEIR error first before going to the ombudsman

Good luck mate

CBRowner
02-08-10, 09:28 PM
It annoys me because I had a UK licence issued in Gib, where I did my tests, and I was told I could transfer all but my bus test because I need to do a local refresher test in the UK.

I'm writting to the manager to complain about this because it now affects my forces licence and I'm on 90 minutes standby to deploy so it will also affect my operational readiness >:(

JAYJAY
02-08-10, 09:35 PM
You may want to check out this link

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/if_things_go_wrong.aspx

GL

Jacde
02-08-10, 09:39 PM
I know it's no good to you now, but I was told that the DVLA are notorious at ommiting entitlements from licences and that you should photocopy both parts of your licence before you send it to them, that way 'you' can prove you had entitlement before the muppets removed it!

JAYJAY
02-08-10, 09:44 PM
Here's the BBC link - frightening!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/05/dvla_in_the_dock.html?page=0

CBRowner
02-08-10, 09:45 PM
I even went into their offices in Bristol so that they couldn't mess up but they out did themselves this time.

The only thing they got right was my title and they took all my points off!!! ;D

igbell
02-08-10, 09:53 PM
This is a known issue with them, they have been known to take all things off but cars, I had a mate that was a truck driver and was adding his bike onto the licence when he got it back he had only cars on it, so he had to go back to them and get them to add it all back on again, luckliy hes truck company took a photo copy of his licence.

Ducatista
02-08-10, 10:02 PM
Advice is to take a certified copy.
I heard there were some police officers with decades of experience (loads of bona fide witnesses) but unless it's in writing and prefereably certified then they won't accept it.

CBRowner
02-08-10, 10:05 PM
I'm writting a letter to them so that they can sort this out before I have to explain this problem to my CO.

I've also sent a message to the BBC to inform them that this is still an ongoing issue.

I wish I kept copies now, but I didn't think I'd need it for a government authority like the DVLA, especially as I did it face to face and not through the post >:(

zachl
03-08-10, 09:28 AM
i also watched this on watchdog and was shocked!! i cant believe it is still happening, the episode was months ago and they had months of evidence,

hope you get it sorted as from watching watchdog all the people have had to re-do their tests

Ducatista
03-08-10, 10:06 AM
Yes, what I heard was that even experienced police officers who'd been in the job for decades still had to retake their tests even though there would have been records of their employment and dozens of police witnesses that they had been tiding a bike for decades.

Sorry, but that's what I heard.

Jacde
03-08-10, 10:13 AM
Emlyn, why don't you go to your CO, he'll be able to shout an awful louder than anyone else and in my experience when CO's shout people take note! Plus you've got the Deployment card he'll play.

JAYJAY
03-08-10, 05:43 PM
Just a couple of thoughts Emlyn - is it possible to renew your Gib license as lost?
If not - surely the service has a copy? I sometimes have to drive for my company and they take a photocopy
JJ

GaryMc
03-08-10, 09:42 PM
Nothing new with the DVLA! >:(

Sent my licence off to change the address when I move to England and got it back with only a car entitlement and not C+E included. Only issue I had was I didn't notice due to not using the C+E part of it. Noticed a year later at which pint they refused to reinstate the entitlement >:( >:(

I had to take them to court to sort the mess out at my expence and 2 days before we were due to attend guess what landed on my door step.

CBRowner
04-08-10, 03:49 PM
My Mickey Mouse licence is back in the post with a covering letter so that I can try and get my entitlement sorted and so that I can get back on my bike as soon as possible >:(

Mark_Able
04-08-10, 05:40 PM
We've so far retrained about 12 people who have lost their licence via the DVLA. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get anywhere with them. Others have tried and failed. The DVLA are a law unto their own. They are bloody useless. >:(

Morticia
05-08-10, 02:57 PM
After months and months of trying to get my bike sorted, I'm now left with the problem of not even having a valid licence!!!

As some of you know, I had a Gibraltarian Licence because that was where I did my motorbike test as well as some others but I sent my licence to them a few weeks ago, because you have to when you've been here a year, and when they sent it back I found that the only thing I have on the licence is cars!!

So, unless DVLA sort it, I'm now going to have to sit my dreaded bike test before I can go for rides and I need to do my B+E before I can go to Jonnyflame's place to pick up my bike.

I'm fumming with the morons now, especially as it means I've been riding for the past month without bike or trailer on my licence >:(

I've seen your bike, it's not going anywhere for some time ;D
No, seriously, I can ride it to you if you want. I could follow you in your car/van or whatever. I know it doesn't solve your problem, only a bit of it, but I'm afraid that's all I can do.

CBRowner
05-08-10, 03:51 PM

I've seen your bike, it's not going anywhere for some time ;D
No, seriously, I can ride it to you if you want. I could follow you in your car/van or whatever. I know it doesn't solve your problem, only a bit of it, but I'm afraid that's all I can do.

Cheers for the offer [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've got all the gaskets here for my bike but I've not had the time to pop down to give them to Steve but I'll send him a message as soon as I know when I will be there though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
05-08-10, 03:53 PM
We've so far retrained about 12 people who have lost their licence via the DVLA. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get anywhere with them. Others have tried and failed. The DVLA are a law unto their own. They are bloody useless. >:(

I'll go nuts if I need to resit my test or I'll go back on my Gib licence and tell the police that the DVLA are a bunch of useless w*nkers and that I refuse to change my licence over to a UK one ever again >:(

Bornagain
05-08-10, 08:43 PM
There's some info about this in this weeks MCN...worth having a look.
Good luck, sounds like they've been doing it for years and most end up shafted with a test re-sit.........But aparently they're supposed to send you back your old license so you will have proof of motorcycle entitlement "JUST" in case they balls it up..
Hope it helps

Bornagain
06-08-10, 11:45 AM
Aparently, since last year DVLA have been sending old licenses back to bikers at their request following a campaign by MCN to counter this issue.....you should be okay! But........!!

CBRowner
07-09-10, 09:10 PM
I received my UK licence back the other day and it now says I can ride bikes again :)

It was probably to do with the sh**ty letter I wrote to them explaining that I need it for overseas ops and they rang me when I was in Pakistan during the flood relief

BladeTriple
07-09-10, 09:13 PM
Fantastic news Emlyn ! Glad they sorted it in the end!

CBRowner
07-09-10, 09:17 PM
How strange, I was just looking at your new bikes in the members gallery :o

I'm glad my licence is all sorted, just need to pick up my pile of poo on saturday then get it registered before I can start going out on rides :)

Jon_W
08-09-10, 08:09 AM
Glad its all sorted!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

They are s*ds for this sort of thing. You have to speak to the right person at the right time and it's all sorted. Speak to the wrong person and you get poo!!

At lkeast you can now ride the Honda!!!