PDA

View Full Version : Women biker Accident(update)

alanTDM
01-08-10, 11:43 AM
A biker, believed to have been a middle-aged woman from Westbury, died in an accident at Avebury Saturday Morning.
The road through the village was blocked for several hours after the accident at about 9am

RIP

Dabz
01-08-10, 12:08 PM
Not good, rip :(

alanTDM
01-08-10, 12:11 PM
I had to update this cause heard first on Radio then seen it on a local Newspaper web site which seemed to be two different bike accidents at first

Beamer
01-08-10, 12:13 PM
such sad news......condolences to her family etc :(

Morticia
01-08-10, 12:56 PM
Ride In Peace

Dabz
01-08-10, 01:38 PM
It was a blue yamaha bike..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10830770

Nico_babe
01-08-10, 02:21 PM
RIP xx

Lorraine
01-08-10, 05:19 PM
Sad :'(

RIP

Jacde
01-08-10, 05:38 PM
:( very sad news
RIP

BB
01-08-10, 06:45 PM
Sad news. RIP

BB

KP
01-08-10, 07:11 PM
R.I.P :(

Geordie Stu
01-08-10, 07:11 PM
Condolences to her family. RIP :(

Green Man
01-08-10, 07:16 PM
R.I.P [smiley=sad.gif]

Nelly
01-08-10, 07:29 PM
RIP :(

Snowy
01-08-10, 08:20 PM
Always sad news. R.I.P.

SBQE2
01-08-10, 08:26 PM
Very Very sad news

speedy
01-08-10, 08:27 PM
r.i.p. :(

Toph
01-08-10, 08:27 PM
Another family is devastated this weekend...sincere condolences.

silly_simon
01-08-10, 08:57 PM
Very sad new's indeed :'(

sobering when it's someone from your home town :(

bobf279
01-08-10, 09:19 PM
RIP

Robf
01-08-10, 10:49 PM
RIP

Hunar
02-08-10, 05:11 PM
Ride In Peace

Kevinb
02-08-10, 05:41 PM
It is sad news. It just shows at the end of the day we are only human and it doesn't take a lot to take a life away.
Everyone. Enjoy your riding but please take care.

Kev

Roll_on
02-08-10, 05:52 PM
RIP

Mark_Able
02-08-10, 06:13 PM
RIP :'(
I take it no one knows their name yet?

Bonnielass
02-08-10, 06:19 PM
RIP :'(

Nokesy
02-08-10, 06:21 PM
RIP

How very sad

DaytonaDog
02-08-10, 07:56 PM
RIP

CBRowner
02-08-10, 10:21 PM
My thoughts go to the family. R.I.P. fellow biker :'(

bubblylittleme
03-08-10, 08:01 AM
R.I.P
Take care riding Everyone!

bubblylittleme
03-08-10, 04:06 PM
Name of biker...

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8308504.Woman_killed_in_bike_crash_named/

Mark_Able
03-08-10, 08:29 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Caroline did her training and test with us two years ago, along with her brother. She got on very well. Whether she has been riding for the last two years, I have no idea. It's always sad to hear news like this, but more so when it's an ex-pupil.

It's at times like this, that I question why I do my job. I can only justify it to myself by reasoning that if I didn't train them, then someone else will. It's what spurs me on to do the job to the best of my ability. But it genuinely saddens me.

My thoughts, and those of my instructors, go out to her family at this sad time. Please remember that she was doing something she enjoyed, and it should never taint your views on bikes and biking. We are all in charge of our own destiny. Ride safely people.

Rest in Peace Caroline.

njl
03-08-10, 08:46 PM
sad sad news, rip.

KP
03-08-10, 08:56 PM
Mark,

although you never trained me, all ive heard is how good you are mate, and your team of course, so keep up the good work mate.

kev

Mark_Able
03-08-10, 09:01 PM
Mark,

although you never trained me, all ive heard is how good you are mate, and your team of course, so keep up the good work mate.

kev

Thanks Kev.

Bonnielass
03-08-10, 09:09 PM
Having trained with you Mark, I know what a good job you do, as you say, we are all in charge of our own destiny. We all know how vulnerable we are when riding so ride safe everyone.

Dabz
03-08-10, 09:31 PM
You trained me too Mark and couldn't have asked for a better experience. I can imagine it must be awful to have trained someone who then has an accident and losing their life but as you said, she was doing something she enjoyed.

Accidents like this really ram home how dangerous our hobby is...but life is for enjoying, not for avoiding activities because of what might happen. At least by learning to ride, Caroline was given a couple years to enjoy the freedom of 2 wheels

Beamer
03-08-10, 09:37 PM
totally agree with Rosie...... you, as always, share the best of your knowledge with your pupils but can not ever be held responsible for what happens after we pass.....we all make our own judgements and it's everyones own choice what we do with the knowledge instilled in us. Risk taking is a part of every day life and we take risks from the moment we get out of bed in the morning. No-one should feel responsible for anothers actions. You did all you could Mark to assist a fellow rider and it is such sad news....do not question what you do.....there are some instructors out there that are only in it for the money ......you are not one of them.......you are a fantastic instructor and I am glad you are there for all the upcoming riders out there.

R.I.P.

Mark_Able
04-08-10, 05:27 PM
Well I wasn't fishing for compliments, but thank you all very much. Passing on the knowledge has always been my motivation. All I want is to make good riders of you all. Let's keep safe out there... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
04-08-10, 05:48 PM
I second what everyone has said, we are masters of our own destiny, just sorry that Caroline was your pupil Mark.

silly_simon
05-08-10, 08:41 PM
Mark,
Having trained with you back in 2000 :o I can honestly say hand on heart you and the gang were GREAT !!!

Caroline, if memory serve's rode her bike for pleasure and some commuting and like other's have said knew the risks of being a motorcyclist :-/
The police are still wanting any witnesses to come forward so the investigations are continueing

My thought's go to her family and friend's who must be devastated by this.

Rest in Peace :'(

ktm_man
06-08-10, 12:17 PM
RIP Caroline, i know Fin et all will miss you !

Makes me even more serious about hanging up my road boots to don the offroads instead..

Mark_Able
10-08-10, 09:13 PM
RIP Caroline, i know Fin et all will miss you !

Makes me even more serious about hanging up my road boots to don the offroads instead..

It should'nt do George. If someone came to grief in their car, would you stop driving? I doubt. Sad though it is, it's the reason so many people point the finger at bikes as being dangerous. They are not. It's either down to circumstances, or down to the rider.

Some people fall off every other week. Some people ride for the whole of their life and never have an accident. Few accidents are down to 'bad luck'.

I can't tell you how bad it makes me feel when something like this happens. But it also makes me feel bad for the backlash against bikes that it provokes. I will never consider giving up biking because of someone else's misfortune. I say it again, you are in charge of your own destiny.

ktm_man
11-08-10, 01:36 PM
Deep down I know that, but its that momentarily lapse in concentration, or being goaded into riding that bit too fast that i couldnt 100% rule out - thats all it takes..

But i am keen on getting into the enduro lark, so may just sell the sduke to fund it - scarily enouhg a newish ktm exc goes for the same money my sduke would fetch - scary isnt it..

Hazel-nut
17-08-10, 12:09 PM
i just discovered that her funeral was friday just gone and my brother attended as he was friends with her!they did mountain biking together and her brother helps mine with his southern downhill website!
sounds like she was happy on 2 wheels so was definitly doing something she loved when she passed
i beleive she was from rode not westbury though-not that that changes anything

hope no-one is thinking of giving up the 2 wheels because of it!

Caz
17-08-10, 06:55 PM
RIP Caroline

Such sad news but when your number is up its best to go out doing what you love. My friend nearly had a heart attack when she heard the news as thought it was me.

Thanks Mark i did my Direct Access with you in 2005 and its an on going learning process.

ro
13-11-10, 06:28 PM
A sad update on the inquest result from This is Wiltshire (http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8631360.Biker_lost_control_in_fatal_Winterbourne_M onkton_crash/), 7:00am Friday 12th November 2010:

A former British mountain biking champion from Westbury died after driving at an inappropriate speed, an inquest heard.

Caroline Mackinlay, of Hackney Way, Westbury, was driving on the A4361 in Winterbourne Monkton when she lost control of her motorbike on a bend and collided with a Vauxhall Astra on July 31. The 37-year-old, who lived with her brother Alistair, was driving with her sibling to watch superbikes at Silverstone.

The driver of the Vauxhall Astra, Tanya Milligan, 46, of Cricklade, told the inquest on Monday: “I remember seeing the bike on my side of the road and thinking that shouldn’t be there but thinking they would correct and move away. The bike was well into my side of the road – almost half. My airbag went off and I thought my car was on fire. I shot out of the car and saw she was behind me.”

Ian Singleton, deputy assistant Wiltshire and Swindon Coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.